Mud mud mud

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm guessing some of you have to deal with mud like I do. I've shared the big ole mud holes I have to travel through in a different thread, and I'm still trying to get them under control, but that is not what this thread is about.

My RTV gets muddy every time I take it out. The mud holes are about a foot deep or come up 3/4 of my tire height. So it is impossible to keep the RTV clean. Power washing seems a waste. I've done it a few times and then as soon as I go out again I'm all muddy. Once wet the red clay / mud gums up an flies all over the bottom of the RTV. While I am not a clean freak and do not have to have the RTV shinning all the time, I am concerned about mud getting in places that it can do damage. Is there any place I should pay particular attention to and be sure to keep the mud off of? As you can guess once I've going through a deep mud hole as described above the mud spatters everywhere.

tlk

the rubber boots on your cvs joints - if mud gets up next to them and then dries, it can rip the boots. Once ripped, more mud, water, dust etc. gets to the bearings in the joint and your are done - replacement of the cv joints is not cheap -

I have the issue of using mine at the deer lease which is in the middle of nowhere. If it rains and I go through mud, I dont have access to a power washer and limited water period. So I have to get under my unit each day and try to clear mud away from the boots by hand before it dries hard. No fun

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
We spray STP Son of a Gun protectant on things we don't want to stick to.
It helps much !!!

Also, we buy some professional protectant from a salesman who goes around
to different auto/tractor/ diesel shops. This is the best. Mud just falls off .... has a "oil" feeling to it. But that is what repells the mud and water off the machine.:harley:

..... two guns

tlk

so you spray the protectant over the under carriage of the buggy? Also do you know brand of stuff the guy sells?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info tlk. :tiphat: Thanks!!!

and Jamie, thanks again for adding a possible solution. I've seen STP spray at auto parts stores. Might be the same thing. Thanks!!! :tiphat:

you guys rock!!!!!!! :D

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
so you spray the protectant over the under carriage of the buggy? Also do you know brand of stuff the guy sells?

Yes, we spray under the fenders really good and CV boots get a good batch on them also. Our mud down here is like peanut butter. Sticky as hell. But with this, it sure makes clean up easier.

Also, the Kubota front mud flaps help keep it from going under the machines cab area.

The brand that he sells, I will have to go down to the shop later get the name of it. There are many brands of this stuff. I've used several.
Most work great.

......... two guns:tiphat:

tlk

no worries - I can find some - I just thought there may be a particular brand that was better - I will give it a try - thanks again

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
I rustproofed my underbody and do on all my vehicles including our motorhome.
Like Jamie, I use armorall on my engine and hst and all exterior rubber components. Did this with dirt bikes for years.
We use 303 protectant on the interior and tonneau cover. Very high ozone rating.
For the CV boot's I use pure silicone grease or spray, mud just will not stick to it and it repels water - just drench it with spray if you do not want to use the grease. Last's alot longer than anything else.
We also finger wipe a small film of the grease on all hood/door seal's to keep them soft and moist.
I can run our's through the car wash with no water intrusion.

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
I read it wears of fast, and for that reason is not cost effective.
Rustproofing and armorall/will last along time, just respray with armorall after cleaning. Till you clean again nothing will stick.