Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRIBUTE100

bordercollie, thanks for your response. We went on a camping trip over the weekend and just got back. I am going to try to hook up a 3" inline blower under the bed that will blow the fumes from the exhaust away from the back end of my unit when we go trail riding with the backseat/roll cage accessory I posted a picture of a couple of posts above this one. I was hoping to find a circuit that was only hot when the engine is running so I don't forget to cut it off and run down the battery.

TRIBUTE100

Mine already has a fan on the water pump pulley. I have one of those FS approved disc type spark arrestors and want to have the fan duct to blow directly on that output because the exhaust comes back over into the bed.

Luckystars

Here in central Florida we dodged the hurricane. Max wind gusts of 20 mph. We sure didn't need the water. We had 4.75" in 2 hours on July 4th and a couple more the next few days.
All y'all along the coast be safe. I hope it misses everyone and fizzles out somewhere over the Atlantic.

TRIBUTE100

Closing the gap between cab and bed on RTV 900

Some time ago someone mentioned if there was a way to prevent stuff from falling between the top front lip of the bed and the back of cab down into the engine compartment. I usually have my side boards on so I don't have that problem. Here is a solution.
I purchased a jumbo foam pool noodle on Amazon. I got the 2-pack, black in color, 3.5" in diameter for like $16. I had some rubber weather stripping that goes on the bottom of a garage door. I used cable ties to mount the jumbo noodle under the plastic lip of the seat back. I notched the noodle on each side to conform to the ROPS. I used E6000 adhesive to attach the weather stripping to the top edge of the bed and used my wood side boards to hold it down while it dried for 24 hours. The seal is not air tight, but it will stop most things from falling though.
The main reason I did it was soften the sound coming up from the engine compartment when I've got the backseat roll cage (pictured in earlier post) installed for the grand kids when trail riding.

Attachments

• P1060010.jpg
    P1060010.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 90
  • P1060009.jpg
    P1060009.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 87
  • P1060008.jpg
    P1060008.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 88

TRIBUTE100

Fan to blow exhaust smell away

I just finished installing a fan to blow the diesel exhaust away from the back of my unit. With the roll cage back seat I purchased, shown in earlier post, to haul the grandkids on trail rides, I found the exhaust fumes were coming into the bed area probably because of the disc type spark arrestor I have installed.

I purchased a 3" diameter bilge fan on Amazon and a 3" flexible aluminum duct. I was able to squeeze it in on the battery side of the engine compartment and run the 3" duct under the muffler heat shield. I found an unused electrical plug in the fuse panel area with 12 volt power with the ignition on (orange wire with inline fuse holder at blue taped plug) I installed a toggle switch in the plastic panel under the steering wheel as shown. I had a couple of 12 volt fans that I screwed to the dash board. Not really big enough, but does throw some air on you. The outlet of the bilge fan duct over the exhaust definitely gets rid of the exhaust smell. I taped 1/4" hardware cloth (rat wire) over the intake and outlet of the ducts.

Attachments

• P1060003.jpg
    P1060003.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 83
  • P1060004.jpg
    P1060004.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 83
  • P1060005.jpg
    P1060005.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 83
  • P1060006.jpg
    P1060006.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 85
  • P1060007.jpg
    P1060007.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 82

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
:) I know your work will be appreciated. I used to get so carsick from such fumes when a kid. Daddy put an extension on the old Plymouth Fury exhaust pipe and I was so glad. I'm sure the grandkids will be happy too. :tiphat: collie

edit to say that I like that mouse screen..bad little buggers for sure..

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hydraulic Cylinder and Seals

I just replaced the seals in a lift cylinder on the old Case 1840 . It was quite a challenge though. My dad was a hydraulic man and also manufactured hydraulic steering systems for the big boats on the Miss River and the inland waterways of south La. I should have paid detailed attention to him working and building these things including cylinders but didn't. Shame on me. but this past week the opportunity came along and I did it . I prayed for guidance and then dug into it.
It was intimidating at first.. but miracles do happen and it was done and finished and now is back up and working- pulling up fence posts and cleaning the barn. :)
Here are a few pictures. I did buy a gland tool as pictured for $42, as it can be used other cylinders requiring it in the future. the 3ft pipe wrench of my Dad's would have left tooth marks on the "head" of the gland and that's a no no here, so didn't use it for the removal. I did use a 3/4 inch breaker bar and a long cheater with the gland tool (after removing the little set nut ). It came loose and I stopped until I took out the pin holding that end on the skid steer so I could lay the chromed rod end down on fender of machine. Before that though , I took loose one hose to relieve pressure and then pulled out the shaft after completely unscrewing it . :) If you don't remove the hose on the back end then it will not come out but will instead form a suction. I had also previously worked the hand levers to relieve any pressure .
After I took out the shaft to examine the pistons and head of the cylinder I saw that a bolt was holding the end on. The 3/4 impact wrench wouldn't budge it.. I was very disappointed. I remounter the shaft only on the skid steer using the pin just taken out of the skid steer. This would hold it while I used a cheater bar (5 ft) in the breaker bar. (I had also heated the bolt only a bit as I think red locktite was used on it. You can breakdown red locktite when heated to 550 degrees according to a video put out by that company,) The bolt came loose and then I started working on the seals after sliding off the gland and end piece.
I took out the old seals and laid them out in the order they went and proceeded to clean and remove all foreign pieces of the gland and tail piece.
the old seals/packing were so deteriorated that I had to check a few things with the company I bought the seals from . https://hwpartstore.com/blogs/tips/installing-u-cup-seal-hydraulic-cylinder
I finally got the Ucup seal in by hand after more prayers for guidance and got it to slip in the grove pretty quickly .
Finally, I replaced the gland and end piece, locktited , tightened up, l with the cheater pipe and reinstalled . Thanks to the Lord and His guidance and so I finished the job.
The people at the hydraulic store I listed above were very helpful and were knowledgeable about what I was searching for and also answered some questions I had . I will always buy my seals from this company in the future. bordercollie

Attachments

• KIMG0332.jpg
    KIMG0332.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 75
  • KIMG0348 (1).jpg
    KIMG0348 (1).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 72
  • KIMG0390.jpg
    KIMG0390.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 74
  • KIMG0331 (1).jpg
    KIMG0331 (1).jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks for the detailed description!

On a slightly smaller scale, the Yanmar YM240's loader uses large end caps. First one that dribbled, I took to the hydraulic shop. They charged me $170 and said they had to straighten the piston rod. It came back with pipe wrench tooth marks on the end cap. They said that's just how they do it. The end caps on these are larger than yours, so a pipe wrench can get a good bite on them.

Later when the other curl cylinder was leaking down, I bought the seals ($10) and HF's 3 ft pipe wrench to get the end cap off. It took that plus a 3 ft extension on the wrench to break loose the end cap. Then an extension on the breaker bar to get the nut off the end of the piston. I pinned the piston rod back on to the tractor like you did, to have something to wrench against.

I have since replaced seals on the backhoe, same process. I wish I had that magic gland wrench, I should buy one.

Here's a pic of the larger end caps where a pipe wrench works ok if you don't mind the tooth marks. This 40 yo tractor shows much abuse by prior owners so a couple of tooth marks aren't noticeable.

attachment.php

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
California, Those apples are beautiful and I like that hitch ball on the bucket.I imagine that it makes moving trailers into tight spaces much easier.

I can see how the pipe wrench works fine on cylinders that have that much grip- that's what Daddy used also and I have his now( but the teeth are worn. :) Thank you for the information and picture . :) collie

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
California, Those apples are beautiful and I like that hitch ball on the bucket.I imagine that it makes moving trailers into tight spaces much easier.
Thanks Collie. I like that hitch ball so much that I welded one on the little tractor too.

In addition to precision parking the trailer, occasionally I just fetch the trailer and drive backward to go do a task, instead of dropping a rear implement to install the rear drawbar. For example carry a ladder and bins to harvest a family pear tree near the house. It's a real time saver. Recommended!

KIMG2005rHitchOnYM186Dbucket.jpg

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
if you need to use a pipe wrench without leaving marks all you need is a nice size piece of Oak Leather strap wrapped around the part.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Birds Eye view

We cleaned the house - a dreaded ritual- but this year we had one of the big Genie boom lifts to work off of. I grabbed a couple of pictures while we were moving around . One is of the dried up garden and the other is of the old 1842 era house. We had to also repair the roof where a tree damaged it during a mini tornado last Spring. It was actually sort of fun until the nitty gritty cleaning started. ;) collie

Attachments

• KIMG0413 (1).jpg
    KIMG0413 (1).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 41
  • KIMG0414.jpg
    KIMG0414.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 42

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you. :) It's my bil's and sister's. I live with them and work on the farm.
The hole in the roof was where the lighter colored shingles are right down from the chimney. 25 years ago, this house was about to fall down. The windows were mostly broken out, tin roof and no paint since the early 1900's . Bil lived in it without plumbing when a kid and water would freeze on the mantle... but it was like that when I was a kid at our house too. I remember seeing my breath in the winter time as a child when in our bedroom during the winter. ( The heater was in the living room and a little one in the bathroom.) But that was common back then. Made us appreciate things and not take for granted. I have that home still , it's in se AR. Many cherished memories there .
Collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
my great grandparents and children got snowed in during a blizzard at Medicine Lodge in about 1887. Grandad said that they would have died if the horses and cow weren't buried under the snow in the dug out with them. can you imagine living under a snow bank for a couple of weeks in a dug out with two horses and a cow? when i get to feeling sorry for myself i just think of that and carry on.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's the truth Arthuritis. We have it so much better than those before us - as far as living conditions go. But I'd rather not have so much bad stuff morally. I miss those days of my youth , times are changing but not me. I'm just a stick in the mud I guess.. (remember that expression)?
Also as a note, the old house is the part with shutters. The new add on had to look different and so no shutters on it according to National Archives folks. ( glad they added on because that gave me a room of my own) . :) collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yes Collie i agree. it was just a few days ago a friend sent me a clip of a swearing in of witnesses before a congressional committee and when they were given the oath there was no mention of God. one of the congressmen protested by saying that we have always used God in our oath since the creation of our gov. that congressman was very rapidly put down and told that God had no place in our gov. i fear for our country.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's happening in our lifetime and well.. we that understand "the writing on the wall" will be ready.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
It's happening in our lifetime and well.. we that understand "the writing on the wall" will be ready.

YEP. i hope we aren't like the kingdom of Belshazzar and get ourselves given over to the mede. what was it Solomon said? " nothing new under the sun"?

Status
Not open for further replies.