Leaking gasket.

v10rick

Site Supporter
To all,

Since installing the new head assy this RTV900 has been running great. Ample power to climb the hills with no loss of oil or coolant.

Now the next issue....seems that the gasket to the RANGE GEAR ARM is seeping trans fluid. What sort of trouble may I encounter by raising this mechanism to replace the gasket?

It shifts perfectly as is, I prefer not to break something to address the leak.

Its item 15 on the attached pfd.

Attachments

• D21001 RANGE GEAR ARM _ messick's.pdf
    91.4 KB · Views: 18

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i don't think that compartment has any pressure on it. i think that attaches to the top of the gearbox and should only get splash oil. have you tried to just snug it down? if that box has pressure it might be possible that the hydrostat is leaking internal and overfilling the compartment.

v10rick

Site Supporter
Checked the tightness and actually found 1 loose bolt. Odd there are no signs of previous work in that area. Washed the area with brake cleaner, will take a few rides to confirm its fixed.

There is another leak that appears to be coming from the engine gear cover gasket. The filter side of the engine appears wet. The oil is not from the oil filter.

Maybe confirm those bolts are tight as well?

I realize this may be trivial to most but these RTV leaks are spotting my relatively clean garage floor.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
neither of my RTV leaks a drop. i did have an oil cooler return hose leak on my X1100c this spring though. when you say engine gear cover are you referring to the front of the engine where the timing gears are???

v10rick

Site Supporter
neither of my RTV leaks a drop. i did have an oil cooler return hose leak on my X1100c this spring though. when you say engine gear cover are you referring to the front of the engine where the timing gears are???

Yes.
The oil covers the engine block area behind the water pump, down the side of the engine but stops just above the oil pan lip.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
could it be diesel fuel from a seeping return line dripping down the head behind the water pump? i can't imagine a timing gear cover leaking like that.

v10rick

Site Supporter
could it be diesel fuel from a seeping return line dripping down the head behind the water pump? i can't imagine a timing gear cover leaking like that.

Thanks

I just flooded the suspicious area with brake clean and went for a short drive.
Used an inspection mirror to be certain, but its seeping at the gear case bolt closest to the alternator, just below the thermostat housing.

Put a socket wrench to that bolt and was able to give it a half turn.

The bolt below this was snug.

?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
wow i don't know what to say. these things do shake allot though, but leaking doesn't seem to be a common problem. sounds like with yours the fasteners are coming loose from vibration. does your machine have high hours? could the motor mounts need replaced? might want to check the harmonic balancer on the front crank pulley???

v10rick

Site Supporter
wow i don't know what to say. these things do shake allot though, but leaking doesn't seem to be a common problem. sounds like with yours the fasteners are coming loose from vibration. does your machine have high hours? could the motor mounts need replaced? might want to check the harmonic balancer on the front crank pulley???

1200 hrs on a clock that appears to be functioning.

Wrenched again on 3 gear cover bolts (filter side of the engine), turned a few degrees more. Seeping seems a bit less so it will remain as is until the water pump needs replacing.

What is the best way to test engine mount integrity?

I recall doing this back in the 70s by applying the brakes and watching for engine movement while tapping the accelerator.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
your hours are about the same as on my machines. my oldest is an 07 i think and it doesn't have any leaks like you describe. i do get some residue arount the crankcase vent. you might page Bordercollie cause i think she ran one up to several thousand hours. as far as the motor mounts i think visual inspection would be good enough. have you checked the harmonic balancer???

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have over 3,600 hrs on this 2011 900 and the 2005 I sold had over 4200 and I never had a leak like that from the engine. I guess sometimes there is one that does though. Whatever the problem with it leaking, you have shown you can fix anything. :tiphat: collie