L245DT plug in oil Gallery

Black Cloud

I have 10 hours in on my new to me Kubota. I flashed it up yesterday and about 3 minutes into warmup the oil started pumping out. I immediately shut it off. I removed the oil filter bracket (I would guess you call it that) and then checked the pressure release valve and it was good ( I had help from a buddy who is a certified heavy duty mechanic). There is a hole just adjacent to the filter assembly that is a direct connection to the oil gallery and there was an aluminum plug laying on the ground. This where the oil came out. Checked parts list out and there is a listing for these plugs. There are 5 different dimensions listed? What is the purpose of this plug? Why is there an aluminum plug in a cast iron block? Most importantly how do I fix it? Snow is around the corner and I am behind ( I suppose this is not a unique circumstance). Anybody else run into this?. The unit has 800 hours on it and it probably sat a lot as it is a 1982. It runs very smoothly and so far no complaints. The Yanmey backhoe so far with the exception of a few hydraulic leaks has been OK. The nuts etc are soft as butter so no crescent wrenches allowed. I have manuals on the way and maybe they will help me. .

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to hear of your issue, and just 10 hours in. I can't help with the issue, but I'm interested in whatever the fix might be. Hopefully it is as simple as replacing freeze out plugs on a car or truck engine.
Good luck!

Black Cloud

Talked to my local Kubota dealer( local being 250 miles away) and he said he could get the part for me but they came in bags of 30 and this occurrence is very rare. They suggested I go to a machine shop and have them run one off. A local guy who rebuilds engines and has many years of experience said to just tap it and use a set screw with high temp gasket seal. Making sure not to run the tap too far so the screw could set against it. My allan wrench was magnetized so that picked up all the pieces. Tomorrow will be the test. It was a combination of cold temperature ( it is freezing here at night now) and the oil was very thick. The oil is changed and I am going to run a block heater while it is parked and that should take care of business. Famous last words.