for those that don't know...

Bindian

I'm not exactly sure why they were doing it... but, the Lear 55 doesn't have buckets... we've got blocker doors and cascade vanes (Aeronca TR's). They can be kind of finicky at times with all the limit switches such... I'd assume that they were trying to replicate a failure to stow condition... I've had that happen a few times. But when I saw them doing that check was many, many moons ago, back when I was just a young pup working the ramp... and I just don't remember anymore. Could have been a "not making power" squawk also???

Have you ever had the pleasure of working on any Learjets? Some mechanics love them, most hate them :wink:
Oh, okay. They are not in the hot exhaust stream, just in bypass air. Big difference. Cascades and blocker doors are easier to work on and a ton cleaner. Our CFM56 engines on our B737-300, -500, and -700 aircraft have them. I have never got to work on any corporate jets. That is the only thing in aviation I haven't worked on, along with the Goodyear Blimp.
I found out we don't just have a test and taxi checkout for our taxi and engine run license. About 6 months ago SWA started a 3 day class for it.
hugs, Brandi

xlr82v2

Brandi,

No, not exactly, our TR's run both the core and bypass flow through the cascade vanes. That way, everything gets hot and sooted up! Gotta love that!

Overall the TR's work pretty well... they're a little slow to deploy (pneumatically powered), but once they finally deploy, you can pull 100% power through them.