Howdy!

Dougster

Old Member
Thanks for the info Ed. I plan on getting a grapple in the near future but I'm not sure which way to go with the hydraulics. Getting my dealer to install rear remotes seems to be the way to go. Am I right in assuming that installing a valve kit upfront will void part of my warranty?
Mud
I don't believe that it has any effect with your warranty, check with your dealer first though.
I'll check with them tomorrow. Thanks Brian!
I am probably repeating myself... or even augmenting my previous stand... but better safe than sorry. :eek:

While my feeling is that EVERYONE should have at least one or two rear remote sets (depending on tractor options/design/capability)... and you can certainly run a grapple off a rear remote set (as I currently do) with very little added expense and trouble... if you plan on working with an FEL grapple a lot, please do consider getting one of the W.R. Long valve kits (or generic equal). While you do read of occasional problems, this is clearly the preferred way to go for maximum convenience, speed and operator comfort. :thumb:

Dougster

Dougster,
Thanks for the advice. I've heard a lot about W.R. Long valve kits. I've talked with Nelson Long and got some prices on a grapple and a valve kit. My only concern is the installation.:confused: As crazy as it may seem, no dealer around here wants to tackle the install. :pat: Nelson has done a great job communicating with several local dealers here in Louisiana and East Texas for a shipping location. When I call the dealer they agree to have the grapple shipped to their dealership, but kind of shy away from the valve kit installation.:sad: I had one dealership finally decide to do the installation, but the turn key price was over double the LIST PRICE of the grapple! OVER DOUBLE!:wtf: This is the dealership I purchased my 4530 from. :furious: I'm assuming that there's not much grapple and/or valve kit installs being performed around here and that's where the problem is. Having heard so many great reviews about W.R.Long products, I've pretty much decided to go with them, however I'm thinking really hard about taking on the installation myself.:read: :read: :read:
OK, :soapbox: I feel better now,

Mud

Last edited:

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster,
Thanks for the advice. I've heard a lot about W.R. Long valve kits. I've talked with Nelson Long and got some prices on a grapple and a valve kit. My only concern is the installation.:confused: As crazy as it may seem, no dealer around here wants to tackle the install. :pat: Nelson has done a great job communicating with several local dealers here in Louisiana and East Texas for a shipping location. When I call the dealer they agree to have the grapple shipped to their dealership, but kind of shy away from the valve kit installation.:sad: I had one dealership finally decide to do the installation, but the turn key price was over double the LIST PRICE of the grapple! OVER DOUBLE!:wtf: This is the dealership I purchased my 4530 from. :furious: Having heard so many great reviews about W.R.Long products, I've pretty much decided to go with them, however I'm thinking really hard about taking on the installation myself.:read: :read: :read:

Mud
I hear ya Mud. Labor is not cheap (except at the Dougster Snowplowing Service). They'd much rather just sell you the stuff than install that stuff. Good luck finding an affordable, cooperative dealer in your area! :wave:

Dougster

Bindian

While my feeling is that EVERYONE should have at least one or two rear remote sets (depending on tractor options/design/capability)... and you can certainly run a grapple off a rear remote set (as I currently do) with very little added expense and trouble... if you plan on working with an FEL grapple a lot, please do consider getting one of the W.R. Long valve kits (or generic equal). While you do read of occasional problems, this is clearly the preferred way to go for maximum convenience, speed and operator comfort. :thumb:

Dougster
.............and don't try to run a backhoe and a hyd. thumb off of your remotes. Right Dougster?:umbrella:
hugs, Brandi

Dougster,
Thanks for the advice. I've heard a lot about W.R. Long valve kits. I've talked with Nelson Long and got some prices on a grapple and a valve kit. My only concern is the installation.:confused: As crazy as it may seem, no dealer around here wants to tackle the install. :pat: Nelson has done a great job communicating with several local dealers here in Louisiana and East Texas for a shipping location. When I call the dealer they agree to have the grapple shipped to their dealership, but kind of shy away from the valve kit installation.:sad: I had one dealership finally decide to do the installation, but the turn key price was over double the LIST PRICE of the grapple! OVER DOUBLE!:wtf: This is the dealership I purchased my 4530 from. :furious: I'm assuming that there's not much grapple and/or valve kit installs being performed around here and that's where the problem is. Having heard so many great reviews about W.R.Long products, I've pretty much decided to go with them, however I'm thinking really hard about taking on the installation myself.:read: :read: :read:

Mud

Not to bad mouth Long, but do some more research. Maybe check with a hydraulic shop about installation. Maybe purchase the control valve from them, helps to give them a reason to help you out.

Just a thought.

GreenMtns

Dougster,
Thanks for the advice. I've heard a lot about W.R. Long valve kits. I've talked with Nelson Long and got some prices on a grapple and a valve kit. My only concern is the installation. As crazy as it may seem, no dealer around here wants to tackle the install. Nelson has done a great job communicating with several local dealers here in Louisiana and East Texas for a shipping location. When I call the dealer they agree to have the grapple shipped to their dealership, but kind of shy away from the valve kit installation. I had one dealership finally decide to do the installation, but the turn key price was over double the LIST PRICE of the grapple! OVER DOUBLE! This is the dealership I purchased my 4530 from. I'm assuming that there's not much grapple and/or valve kit installs being performed around here and that's where the problem is. Having heard so many great reviews about W.R.Long products, I've pretty much decided to go with them, however I'm thinking really hard about taking on the installation myself.
OK, I feel better now,

Mud

Hey Mud :Tip-Hat2:

In my "BTC days" (before the cab), I bought and installed a W R Long setup on my Kioti CK30HST. It was a piece of cake. All the parts and pieces are in the box and the kit is for your make and model tractor. After talking to Nelson I learned on the Kioti the kit was a diverter because of the hydraulic connectors. On most it is a third function system.

If you are handy at all, installing one should not be too hard.

Hey Mud :Tip-Hat2:

In my "BTC days" (before the cab), I bought and installed a W R Long setup on my Kioti CK30HST. It was a piece of cake. All the parts and pieces are in the box and the kit is for your make and model tractor. After talking to Nelson I learned on the Kioti the kit was a diverter because of the hydraulic connectors. On most it is a third function system.

If you are handy at all, installing one should not be too hard.
Thanks Al,
I've talked with a couple of other folks and they also stated that the install is not too tough. Whatever brand I decide on, I'll probably attempt it.

Thanks again,
Mud