Service RTV and BX23 : Can You Name the extra part?

glennm

Hi

Sorry for the subject error, I can't seem to edit it..

i just finished doing a complete service on by BX23 and the RTV 900. It took quite a while but I did get it done. The fuel filters on both of these are a bear!

When I finished I found this part on the ground. Any idea what it might be? I am wondering if it was on the drain plug for the transmission ? I will need to figure this out and find a way to get it back where it belongs.

Thanks in advance

218AC1D7-634C-43EE-B111-71DF110FF304.jpeg

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can't name the part but I edited the title for you. Maybe that will help.

Westfield

Looks like an oil or grease seal to me, but there is a lot of Talent on this site, I'm sure they will let you know where the part belongs.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If it is little as in thumb or quarter sized , I'd go for thinking of a drain plug seal. The one's I've seen usually were stuck to the top of the pan and then as soon as the plug is removed, they fall in the oil drain pan. Then I had to get them out. If that's what it is, fortunately it fell down after you moved the drain pan so you found it.. collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I see you and I were posting at the same time. I'd say drain plug seal. It is a little rubber on the inside and a metal on the outer edge? Is your transmission leaking? It's gonna be hard to put it back on without losing fluid. If it were me, I 'd consider checking it often for tightness and leaks and leaving it be.. but that's just me.. bordercollie

glennm

I’m thinking it was from the drain plug and stuck like you said. I wonder if I can pull the plug and quickly get it back on without a huge mess?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's going to be really messy.Back when I first got my 2005, I changed the transmission fluid and was thinking about some troubles I'd been having..got the old fluid drained and was replacing with the new when I noticed amber fluid running by my foot ... I had forgotten to replace the seal/washer and plug... well, I grabbed the plug and the washer/seal and slid under the RTV and, as the fluid ran down into my armpit and hair, got the plug and threads going . I was a sight and had wasted fluid because of my mind being elsewhere . I doubt you would lose as much as I did because you would be ready for it.
If you do attempt it, just have something to plug the drain holle with while getting the washer seal put onto the plug and was ready to start it. I think you can do it just fine if you are ready and have an old shirt on.
Problem is... is it off of the tractor or the RTV ?
best wishes on this . bordercollie

glennm

I actually did the same thing. I was filling the transmission and suddenly I remembered that I forgot the drain plug :-0. I ran around the back and quickly put it in. I did make a mess and lost a couple of litres of oil. I bet that’s when the washer ( yes, it’s brass with rubber in the centre) fell down.

It is the RTV. I’m thinking if I get down there with a shallow pan under the RTV and have the washer with me I might be able to do it really quickly and not lose much? That’s why I want to be sure that Is where it goes. The drain plug seems to be sitting a little higher now as well so I think that must be where it’s from.

I also hated struggling with the clips on the fuel filters in such a small spot, I think I will change them out next time for the hose clamps that have screws to tighten them

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
On the fuel filter, I removed the vertical plastic panel there by it , so that I had a tad bit more hand room. Even though I have small hands- I still get grouchy with it. - still very aggravating to change it out to say the least. It does help though to have a clamp on the fuel line(s) so it won't flow out as you work.Also, it is easier to prime. After I hook up the end of the fuel filter coming from the tank, I let the diesel flow out and fill the filter then quickly slip on the other. It always started pretty quickly and very little air this way.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
If you go to the Messick's site you can look at the parts breakdown for your units. The o-rings from the transmission plugs look like regular o-rings. The part you show looks like a seal for a rotating shaft but you could go to the Messicks site and look at the engine, mechanical and tranny diagrams to see if you can find it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Maybe leave as is unless it starts leaking. The folks at the Messick's parts desk may be able to give added information. They were always really nice when I called the few times that I did.
This is similar to what I had on my old RTV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D2LQHQ...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

edit : I'd also eyeball it under the machine first to see if it would likely fit the diameter of the plug properly since it'd be such a pain to check physically. This is a real mystery..

Last edited:

glennm

I stopped to pick up some fluid at the local dealer today and he confirmed that it is from the drain plug. I will think about it overnight, I do think I can pull the plug, slip the washer on and shove it back in with very little fluid loss. If anyone thinks I’m wrong please let me know. In doing these two services I found a couple of interesting things. Both vehicles were done by the dealer last time. The tractor had one of the fuel filters installed backwards and the RTV had one incorrect hydraulic transmission filter mounted. I guess that’s why it’s much better do it yourself !

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Wow that could have been bad !! But I don't doubt it at all. The Honda dealership put the brake shoes on wrong according to a top mechanic that did an inspection on my nephew's accord that was having brake trouble noises.
I read on a car forum about someone using their thumb to stop up the drain hole while putting the washer on the plug on a reinstall (similar situation) but they had everything ready to go- I mean the washer and an area to place the removed plug close to the washer so they could just slip it on. but it would be easier I think if you had a third hand to help you . Maybe consider ..just while doing this switch, to remove that rubber vent cap and snug a saran wrap air restrictor in there - maybe it would reduce the flow of fluid a bit during the process . best wishes! collie

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Why not just drain the fluid into a clean container, be sure the area is clean around the drain, and pour it back in through a paint filter if you are nervous about contamination.

glennm

Well, all done, it was really quite easy.. I took a small aluminum pan like you would use on a bbq and put it under the drain plug. Backed the drain plug out almost to the end of the threads with my right hand, washer in my left hand. One quick move I pulled to plug slid on the washer and pushed it back up in the hole. I had about 1/2 a cup of oil in the clean pan and just poured it back into the tranny. Didn't lose a drop. By the way, I did cover the opening with saran wrap per Collie's suggestion, I think that may have slowed the flow.

I recently retired and decided to do a complete service on my BX23, RTV900 and my Zero Turn Kubota mower. It was a fairly long process but I did learn a lot.

The only things I haven't done (both the tractor and the RTV are around 500 hours ) Is changed the antifreeze, the fluid change in the front end of the RTV and the hydraulic reservoir for the bed lift. Do you guys think it is worth is to change the antifreeze and the lift reservoir? The fluids all look clean and new, both vehicles live indoors. I can do it if it seems like a good idea?

I would also like to know if there are any tips for doing the front end on the RTV before I start. Looks like I need to remove the wheels to get at the hubs. What about the front axle oil?

Thanks for all the help, I learned quite a bit doing this. Next time I will remove the side panel for easy access to the fuel filter (Thanks BorderCollie for the tip) and note to self -- put in the drain plug before adding new UDT

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations on doing the job !!!!!!!! I knew you would do just fine. :)
On the changing of the front end center diff oil, Use a blow nozzle and blow all around that screw out top. Grime will be all in there. I filled mine by raising the hood, and using a funnel with a piece of small hose added on so it would reach up thru that little clear piece of plastic near the horn. Make sure the hose is small enough to fit inside the fill hole so it won't burp back on you. Mine was always a little discolored so I would encourage changing it since it gets more motion.
I didn't change my lift reservoir much at all. I had 4,200 + hours on each of my rtv 900s when I sold them and no problems with the oils thankfully- I used the lift very little- mainly to check the engine oil and a season when I used the weed wiper with the hydraulics.
The hub fluid is a lot easier to change with the tires off. :) collie