Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark.Sibole

Concrete well that aint going no place lol.Nice job.Yes Mine here is only 100 yards due to the firedept building right on my back range line so I had to shorten it due to their stupidity.We built a 450 yard range over my friends house this spring.I also added a 24 inch diameter 6 inch thick plate on the rear to ring shots off of.There we use every gun imaginable plus his 338 lapoua.You hear bang wait 2 seconds then a loud ring.The plate is on a 30 degree down slope to deflect every hit just about straight down.

herman48

Just a comments on rifle ranges: It's not a good idea to have the target much lower or much higher than the gun muzzle, because it skews the aiming point/trajectory equation and makes sighting in problematic. When one shoots at a target that is much higher or much lower than the shooter's level the bullets will strike higher than the spot aimed at. The steeper the angle, the higher will the bullet strike. The best range is that where target and shooter are level.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ang...i=ksqfVZTyDIWx-wH6ubWQBQ&ved=0CDEQsAQ&dpr=1.2

FTG-05

Just a comments on rifle ranges: It's not a good idea to have the target much lower or much higher than the gun muzzle, because it skews the aiming point/trajectory equation and makes sighting in problematic. When one shoots at a target that is much higher or much lower than the shooter's level the bullets will strike higher than the spot aimed at. The steeper the angle, the higher will the bullet strike. The best range is that where target and shooter are level.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ang...i=ksqfVZTyDIWx-wH6ubWQBQ&ved=0CDEQsAQ&dpr=1.2

Well, I would have made my front range flat if I could, but I have a heck of a time convincing the targets to move where I want them. I have no idea why coyotes don't like being shot at. It's a mystery, I tell ya!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Went outside yesterday to mow the lawn.

My dog spotted something towards the woods and went into her “watch” mode.

I looked where she was pointing and saw something on my wood shed. It looked like an injured hawk, laying down. As I got closer, it stood up and it was waaayyy to big to be a hawk so I backed up and called off the dog. I watched it from a distance. It just laid back down. Sat there for at least another hour.

Awhile later, my neighbor saw me outside and came over to tell me he saw an adolescent bald eagle earlier and it swooped down right over his head.

I said “I know, it’s sitting on my woodshed right now”. We took a peek and it was still there. A few minutes later, it took to flight and made about a 500 yard loop and landed in a tree in front of the house. During flight and while sitting in that tree, you could really see how big it was. I’d guess the wingspan was between 6-7’.

After it landed in that tree, it made a couple calls and another eagle replied from somewhere within 100 yards on the other side of the woodshed. I’m assuming it’s mother. Unfortunately, tree density was such we couldn’t get a peek.

After about 5 minutes in the tree and hearing several calls between it and the other eagle, it took to flight and off it went.

Very cool having a bald eagle in your yard and in the area in general.

herman48

Keep an eye on your cats or puppies (if you have any) or they will take "flying lessons." In Kodiak, where in the winter hundreds and hundreds of bald eagles congregate downtown by the harbor (to feed on fish carcasses out of the canneries' dumpsters), cats and small dogs left free to roam don't live long. In Kodiak there are no stray or feral cats. They all get airborne, and small poodles, yorkies, weenie-dogs, and such canine aberrations cannot be left out in a yard or lawn where an eagle has enough room to glide close to the ground and grab them. Before I left Kodiak I was living in a house on a lakeshore, where eagles were quite common. One almost broke a living room window slamming into it with its talons stretched forward to try to grab my cat that was on the inside windowsill. The cat hid for two days under the bed... My Labrador hates eagles because many a time they stole dead ducks from her as she was about to grab them in the lagoon where I hunted. I lost quite a few ducks to eagles... part of the game. Anyhow, here in Alabama I've only seen one baldie, but my Lab barks infuriated every time she sees a buzzard (we have lots of those here) because she can't tell the difference.
Incidentally, in Kodiak one can always recognize a tourist from the Lower 48 and Hawaii from the rest of the people: he'll be the one taking pictures of bald eagles. Us residents (well, I'm an ex-resident) don't even notice those good-looking scavenger birds any more...

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
How hot was it today..?? upper 90's, index over a hundredfive. It was so hot that a mineral lick that had turned over in the cargo bed ,started melting while I was hauling it in the 'bota. then when the engine started adding a little heat -even though the lick was on heavy plywood- I started smelling something molasses "ie" and realized it had started melting..Smells coming from the bota bed made my stomach start to growl and I got a hankering for some homemade biscuits. Had to put up with that happy smell all evening. :) collie

Attachments

• 0717151602.jpg
    0717151602.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 0719151734.jpg
    0719151734.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 148

Mark.Sibole

Hello All.I hope things have been going well for everyone.
MY 990 has been doing a nice job so far.I still neeed to get gauges working but all the hydrolycs and power steering is 100 percent.Between moving snow last winter,grading the driveway and filling in wash outs from heavy rain storms here the tractor has paid for it self more than once so far. Im also using it to drag logs and lifting them to cut for winter heat.Last year it took me 3 days of cutting and moving stuff my hand to get done what I got done in less than 3 hours today.It makes life so much easier for an old handicapped person like me
Have a great day and keep safe.
Regards

Mark.

shinnery

Mark, around here I expect to see RTV 900 or 1100, the 990 kinda threw me. Never expected to see a limey number, but I do have a '67 Case 580CK TLB AND the other dozen or so are Prarie Gold.
Bryce

Mark.Sibole

LOL No Problem.Not to many David Browns around in the states.I got this on a good deal.3500 for it with front bucket.I threw in about 200 in seals for the psp and bucket rams.Tons of power and may be a bit big for my needs but does what i needed it to do and then some.I had to take some of the load off of my RTV 900 and i over work it and make it do things it wasnt intended to do.When you are piss poor broke with trin boys sometimes you do what you have to do.
here is the beast and for a 1974 it is in remarkable shape.
4.jpg

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, you have done a great job on cleaning that up and keeping it that way. Really comes in handy, I see, with your slope driveway and approach to the garage itself......God bless.......Dennis

Mark.Sibole

Oh Ya that slope gets tons of damage under heavy rain storms.Today I made wood a lot easier.I attached a 4 inch diameter 15 foot long pole to the front bucket .Bolted it in place so it can be removed.Basically a long gin pole with a hook on the end.I attach the chain on the end and attach my log tongs to that.This way im not working under the bucket susafely.I pretty much get the tractor in place and have the 12 year old sit on the tractor and raise and lower the front to raise and lower toe logs so i can cut them. I managed to cut 2 pulp cords in less than 4 hours.Today the last of it was a breeze with the gin pole on it..Actually it looks like 1 long hay bail spear but worked great and i no longer have to worry about any booboos like a hose breaking while im under it.Next lead ill snal some pics. first 2 log cords done only 18 more to go.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I am very familiar with the 4' X 4' X 8' cord that is the standard used for firewood production and sales and 1/2 of that as a rick.............

What are the dimensions of a "pulp" cord and a "log" cord......Are they for the production of pulp wood or????..............God bless......Dennis

Mark.Sibole

pulp cord or log cord is the same 4x4x8 up here in michigan they even have what is called a face cord which is really an illegal measurement as it varys.The so called michigan face ford is 4x8x16 to 24 inches.Cords are measured by volumn which is 128 cubic feet if i remember correctly.

Mark

Mark.Sibole

For as long as I can remember i loved to fish all day out in the sun and just float around but ive learned with my new MS medication that the meds and the sun dont get along hampering my fishing.So I roulnded up parts frpm here and there and had to make and install a biminu top for my boat.It makes fishing a bit more tight but i can now get out on them sunny days and get some fishing fone without getting sick.New it listf anywhere from 380 to just over 500 and i have about 40 in misc parts.I tried it out yesterday and it worked great.Just needs a few minor modifications but i think i have a working product.The things you do when you are as broke and a broke dick dog.
IMG_20150729_190842390.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.