not charging

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You can check output of the alternator with a multi meter. I don't know what a rectifier is, so can't help there. If you have the alternator off you can have it checked at most auto parts stores.

BigRol

Hi Bob, I think you probably mean regulator, the rectifier is built in the alt as are the regulators in any newer tractor, if external reg. post alt make and i will tell you how to full field it. to test.

bob sullivant

thanks for responding i have a 25 year old kubota b 7200. it has not been charging adequetly for a few years. 3 or 4 years ago i disassembled the alternator and cleaned out lots of dirt and it charged marginally for a while longer but now the charge light stays on, again. i also had disassembled the dash cowl,fuel tank, firewall,etc. to view the regulator. seems like it was maybe two inches by two inches by six inches long, aluminum, with many cooling fins. the alternator has two brown wires leading to it. i have learned to test generator output by touching a hot wire to the field terminal ( or grounding it according to the type) but i do not know how to test for for output on an alternator. this i need some help on. i assume that if the alternator checks good the problem lies with the regulator, unless i find a bad connection. some advice would be most helpful and appreciated.

BigRol

Bob, looks like you have the old ac dynamo instead of an alt. which indeed does have the external rectifier, (the finned gizmo) only seen them on belarus around here. there's a mess of diodes, the rectifier and resistors along with a large capacitor to smooth things out.I will pm a wiring diagram and pic later. To be honest i just eliminate the whole system and install a one wire self exciting delco 10si, one wire to charge the battery and thats it, plus triple the amps over the dynamo.
later, BigRol