Newbie from Texas

jmsrbrt

Found your site by searching for "homemade implements". New owner of a 1940 Ford 9N (runs great...but needs a bit of work) and I'm tearing into it a little at a time. Probably lurk more than I post, but who knows? Bob

Attachments

• tractor left profile.JPG
    tractor left profile.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 193
  • tractor right profile.JPG
    tractor right profile.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 205

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome aboard Bob & thanks for the pics . Tractor looks to be in perty good shape for its age . Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Bob! Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I'm glad you found us. :thumb:

Boy that brings back memories. 10 years ago I got a 1952 Ford 8N. Looked very much like your 9N. Loved that tractor. It was sure fun to operate. I had to sell it to upgrade to a little bigger 4wd tractor but sure wished I could have kept it, just for fun.
Has yours been converted to 12 volt or is it still 6 volt?
Thanks for the pics. GREAT way to start out here. :D

jmsrbrt

Tractor upgrades

It's been converted to 12 volts and I'm waiting for the previous owner to send me any information on what he knows of, that has been done to the tractor. You can see that blue silicone gasket material having been used around the head to the motor, oil pan, transmission, PTO and other places. It LOOKS like it might have had a complete overhaul at some point. The carb needs to be overhauled I'm sure (doesn't idle unless you have the lever half way up the half-moon thingy (forgot the nominclature), but other than that, nothing to complain about. The oil isn't fresh, but it isn't black either. How do you check correct level on the hydraulic oil? I have no dipstick on the right inspection plate.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The 8N had a gravity fed fuel bowl that seemed ingenious to me. Simple, but it did require attention. I had to replace the glass bowl but can't remember what the symptom was. (Wish I was on forums back then and i would have a post about it. A big plus to posting your issues on forums)

To my best recollection i had a dipstick on mine. I suppose you could use a wooden , or plastic spoon handle ...or whatever is long enough to give you an idea of how much is in there.
If you can find out how much hydro it's supposed to hold, and change the hydro fluid, and then check the level once you put the recommended amount in ....then you'd have a Full mark for whatever you use for a dipstick.

jmsrbrt

I was searching at lunch and ran across some information on the histories of 9N's and the dipstick on the right inspection plate wasn't installed until after my serial number, so that would explain why I don't have one. Anyway, I'm going to take your suggestion and drain the hydraulic oil and replace it. I think it's supposed to hold 4-3/4 or 5 quarts. I'll check my manual then outfit myself with a long dowel rod marked for FULL. I made one for the gas tank already so I could tell if it had 2 or 10 gallons of gas in it.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Bob, welcome to Net Tractor Talk.

Who knows, you might start making some implements yourself. And if you do we love pictures.:wave:

Hello Bob,

Nice tractor. My first one was a 9n, I worked the tire out of it. Looks like it's got a good set of rubber on it. I also see it's been upgraded to an GM alternator.

Welcome to the site.:wave: