2008 John deere 2720 hyd. problem

canuckhunter

I encountered a major leak underneath my seat. Upon further investigation, the main high pressure line from the pump to the top of the hydrostatic differential. Oil would spray out when I was using down pressure on the loader. I removed the tube ( 4 hrs what a job! ) to find two small pin size holes at the 90 degree bend before the banjo bolt which is located under the seat. My tractor was 2 yrs old last June with 322 hrs. The dealer informed me that the part was $337.00 and was not covered on warranty. When looking at the tube, it seems to have some flaws around the 90 degree bend. The dealer admits to never hearing of this sort of problem nor do any of my tractor buddies. I would think that a hose would blow before a metal tube and if a tube would blow I would think it would have a noticeable crack. If anyone has anything on this sort of problem please let me know.

canuckhunter

I had the hydraulic tube inspected by local hydraulic experts ( they service all mining equipment here in Sudbury) and they said it was a flaw in the metal that caused the pin holes. They suggested that I go after John Deere to get this part replaced at no charge. I am over the 2 yr warranty period by by 5 months according to the dealer. John Deere's warranty covers the whole tractor for 2 yrs or 2000hrs and 3 yrs power train. This main tube feeds the HST which in my mind is part of the power train. John Deere doesn't agree! I am going to fight this one! I bought John Deere because of brand recognition and quality. I came so close to purchasing a Kabota but I felt JD had better quality! I not sure anymore.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Go after 'em plus court costs etc. They will be wishing they had done the right thing to begin with. Just wonder how many folks roll over and give up in such situations? Good luck and keep your eye on that line. Bordercollie

eloc1983

squeaky wheel gets the grease!!!!

I worked at a Dealership for 7 years and from my experience with deere warranty the louder you bi#* and more often they'll 90% of the time just waranty the part!!!!! keep on ur service manager at your dealership most likely he'll get tired of hearing from you and take care of it.....lol....if not a steel braided line will work and most places can put a 90 degree fitting on it for ya.....good luck

canuckhunter

Thanks for the info. John Deere came good for the part as a good will gesture. They clearly seen that the tube was defective.

Whereyouatmatt

canuckhunter, I had the exact same problem with my JD 2720 main hydraulic line cracking and my neighbor had the same line rupture on his 2520, of course, John Deere customer service says that "they have not heard of any other problems with this line" BS!!! That's funny, there are posts from other people on another site with this same problem, and both me and my neighbor have the same problem (two machines within 2 miles) and JD has never heard of this happening elsewhere? I doubt it.