45 or 55

ihuntbear

newbie to the tractor world,............went to the dealer yesterday.Kioti is a nice looking tractor.I can't for the life of me make up my mind what one to buy 45 or 55 hp.Hydro or shuttle.I think I would like the shuttle better but what HP. In eastern Canada we have I think a very good Dealer.The guy went out of his way to serve me.Price for 45 hp Hydro $34500, 45 hp shuttle was 33000, 55 hp hydro was $39000 and 55 hp shuttle was $38500 ( with cab and loader ).I need something to blow snow, 30 driveways ,Plow and or rottor till a 5 acre field and haul about 50 cord of hardwood every year out of the woods.some People say stick with shuttle shift.Is 55 hp to much ,is 45 enough??? need help on deciding

urednecku

1st, welcome to the forum.
2nd, when it comes down to 2 sizes, go bigger. There will always be something you wish you had just a little bit bigger tractor for.
As for the shuttle vs. hydro, I have never tried a hydro, but do like the shuttle. A lots easier than having to shift gears on the tranny.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome, glad to you found us here :tiphat:

As for size? You'll wish at a later date that you'd bought the 55 if you don't do it now.
I have never used a shuttle, so I can't help there.

shvl73

Have you tried the hydro? I have a hydrostatic & absolutely love it. I've used a shuttle trans. & it was fine but, for absolute ease of use, hydro wins for me.
The $ to upgrade to the 55hp wont be much, spread over the terms of a loan. Is there a large difference in size, in that the larger one is too big? if not, go bigger.

BigAl

The pros don't use the hydro . That may tell you something . I like the shuttle . I like having 3 ranges and 4 gears in each range . I do not like having to push a peddle to go forward or reverse . That leaves my feet to use my separate brakes for sharper turning if need be .

urednecku

Having to use the clutch does work your leg, so I can see where the hydro would be nice. I was having to look @ the money, and how much I felt I would actually use it. You'll have to figure that out yourself.
Both my brake pedals are on the right side, so use only 1 foot.

Edit: BigAl, IF I understand right, he's talking about the shuttle shifter being hydro, (not the tranny) instead of having to use the clutch. (Like I do.)

shvl73

I think the new Kioti hydros use a electric solonoid for the pto instead of a clutch & have the split brakes on the left. That allows you to use the forward & reverse pedals as well as the split brakes. My 10 series Mahindra is set up that way. You get used to it really quick.

ihuntbear

THANKS GUYS I think I will go with the shuttle shift .I like the idea of having a clutch.Somebody told me hydrostatic's have a problem with steep inclines,something about a valve popping because of loss of hyd oil

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Great choice.................
In case no one told you, we do have a few rules here.
#1 Pictures when you get it
#2 Pictures when you get it
#3 Pictures when you get it
#4 Pictures when you get it
#5 Pictures when you use it

I'm interested in finding out how you like it once you get it. I'm looking into the same 2 tractors and which would better suite my needs. It's more a toy then anything for me i think. It's something i've always wanted and i think will be practical for our 37 ac. farm. Would love to get one now w/ the hoe so i can put in my new septic lol

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, sounds nice. All decked out. Remember, we will want pictures. :D
Congrats!!!!!!