signed up last night

Erik

Hi,
Was looking at the Markham last night site to see about a toothbar and saw the link to this one. Checked it out, recognised some names, and signed up.

I'm in NE Ks, building a house on 35 acres, 1 wife, 2 dogs, no kids.
land is slightly rolling (on the edge of the flint hills), plenty of scrub, trees, and poorly maintained grass. When we bought it 2 years ago there wasn't enough on the ground for me to burn it that year! (the previous owners had leased the pasture out to a guy who ran his horses on it 24/7/52... grrr...
This year we hope to be able to burn to clear out some of the less friendly green stuff and get some new seed on the pastures. In addition to the rough pasture, there's 10 acres of clean brome and a very small pond. (about 1/3 acre)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome Erik. Sounds like a nice place you got there! :thumb:
I'm glad you joined up. I'm also planning to get a Markham tooth bar later in the spring. Everyone I know that has one raves about how much easier they can DIG!!!!
I hope you'll be active on NTT for a long time to come.
Enjoy and post often! :thumb:

Bindian

Hi,
Was looking at the Markham last night site to see about a toothbar and saw the link to this one. Checked it out, recognised some names, and signed up.

I'm in NE Ks, building a house on 35 acres, 1 wife, 2 dogs, no kids.
land is slightly rolling (on the edge of the flint hills), plenty of scrub, trees, and poorly maintained grass. When we bought it 2 years ago there wasn't enough on the ground for me to burn it that year! (the previous owners had leased the pasture out to a guy who ran his horses on it 24/7/52... grrr...
This year we hope to be able to burn to clear out some of the less friendly green stuff and get some new seed on the pastures. In addition to the rough pasture, there's 10 acres of clean brome and a very small pond. (about 1/3 acre)
Hey Erik,:wave:
Glad you found us.:tiphat:
hugs, Brandi

xPosTech

Welcome aboard Erik. :wave:

Only been north in Kansas as far as Wichita. Bingham-Willamette Co. had some of our CNC machines I had to repair a few times way back in the last century.:smile:

Goats and sheep are what will wipe out a pasture. You sure they were horses?

If you post some pictures, it'll get the rest of these guys off your back.:wink: We do like pictures. We have a place to show off your spread. Some body might suggest a good pasture mix for you.:thumb:

Have a cup on me. :starbucks:
Ted

Last edited:
N

Nicahawk

Hi Erik and welcome. Great Place! I'm in South Cen KS, south of Pratt a ways.

Mark777

Welcome Erik...sounds like you've got a little piece of heaven! I, too, would love to see pictures of your spread and other stuff.

Mark

rback33

Hi Erik and welcome. Great Place! I'm in South Cen KS, south of Pratt a ways.

Pratt eh? Farther than Sawyer but not as far as Medicine? I am 20 miles straight west of Hutch in the middle of nowhere. How did we manage to get so many Kansan's over here?

N

Nicahawk

Pratt eh? Farther than Sawyer but not as far as Medicine? I am 20 miles straight west of Hutch in the middle of nowhere. How did we manage to get so many Kansan's over here?
Almost exactly half way between off of 281. Probably pass close to you, go to hutch often on 61.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Funny. I'm in Ohio and I've even advertised here and across the river in WV. But we have more members from Kentucy, Kanses, Texas and New England than anywhere else. Go figure.

Dougster

Old Member
Funny. I'm in Ohio and I've even advertised here and across the river in WV. But we have more members from Kentucy, Kanses, Texas and New England than anywhere else. Go figure.
Well Doc, the way I see it, everything is in perfect balance! :D You've got plenty of New Englanders to keep them problematic Kentucky folks in check, keep those Kansas kids on the run... and take care of them rich folks from the Lone Star state who claim to be lacking in... and willing to pay big money for... rocks, stones and boulders (of which we have plenty ready for export!). :mrgreen:

Does it get any better than that??? :thumb: :wave:

Dougster :starbucks:

mobilus

Welcome, Erik! There's some great folks on this forum.

Stay on US281 until you're about 20 miles into Texas, give me a call and I'll buy you a coffee!:starbucks: :starbucks:

Erik

rback33 - Sterling? or more west than that?
I'm about 2 1/2 miles from what used to be the Harrah's N of Topeka.

Brandi - now that I've finally got a hug, what happens if I mention my tractor is red, too? (but not my truck or my attachments)

Ted, I'm sure they were horses, and if you leave them on a pasture long enough without rotating, weed control, overseeding, etc... they can do similar amounts of damage as goats or sheep - it just takes longer.
:wink: Funny thing is, wife and I considered getting some goats to clean up some of the scrub - but I didn't have the necessary time to replace all my fencing to keep them in! (Still kinda tempting, goats are tasty!)

everyone else, thanks for the welcome - and the virtual coffee (I figure that's all that's left after Dougster's been through!) as soon as i recover the hard drive from my dead 'puter, I'll post some of the pictures off of it.

rback33

rback33 - Sterling? or more west than that?
I'm about 2 1/2 miles from what used to be the Harrah's N of Topeka.

Well yes and no. I am born and raised here in Sterling basically, but I live 16 miles out in the middle of nowhere. It's a Plevna addy... I am one mile too far south for a Sterling address. You know people down here? I know a few people up that way between the school here and my wifes horse contacts.

Last edited:

Bindian

Brandi - now that I've finally got a hug, what happens if I mention my tractor is red, too? (but not my truck or my attachments)
Erik,
Red is good:cool:, but isn't enough.:rolleyes: The feeling isn't right for another hug when I can lift the other person's tractor with my loader.:notthatway::badidea::no::forgetit: Put on another 3000 pounds and then I will think about another hug.:ohmy: Besides..............:nopics:
nohugs, Brandi

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome, Erik! :tiphat:

I spent 2 1/2 years working in Topeka, stayed out at Paxico. I loved being in the Flint Hills, and really miss it, since then I've spent most of my time in Northern Alabama, with side trips to South Texas, Iowa and Missouri.

Fred

I live in an RV, so home is where the bus is . . . .