Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Brand Specific Forums > Kubota RTV Owners Group Forum

Old 08-25-2017, 07:33 PM

ovrszd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
Yes. Very. Buggy is scheduled for around sept 15. Supppsed to get the zd1211 today but the hurricane is changing plans. Hopefully it'll be one day next week. If that gets pushed back (don't want to trailer it back home in the rain) than I'll just wait till the buggy gets here and get them both at once

Brett

Also getting the new 2" lift that they just started selling too. Going to be busy for a bit getting it like it like it with lights, lift, tires and skid
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:57 AM

WoodyBlue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Sibole View Post
I use the Grim reapers on mine and have had no problems on hills in the mud or deep snow
http://www.pureoffroad.com/gbc_grim_..._atv_tires.htm

A bit off topic, I wonder has anybody put a set of these on a SCAG tiger Cat or other Zero Turn mower? The stock tires I have on my SCAG SUCK! turning to the right by reversing the right tire does nothing but spins on DRY grass. I am concerned about tearing up the lawn, but with increased control......?
Old 08-28-2017, 11:37 AM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyBlue View Post
A bit off topic, I wonder has anybody put a set of these on a SCAG tiger Cat or other Zero Turn mower? The stock tires I have on my SCAG SUCK! turning to the right by reversing the right tire does nothing but spins on DRY grass. I am concerned about tearing up the lawn, but with increased control......?
I'm assuming you have the turf tires.

Can you change your technique to go forward with the left tire while reversing your right tire? That always works for me when I get a tire spinning.

I wouldn't go with anything as aggressive as what's going on RTV's. I'd go with paddle tires like what's pictured below if you want to get more traction.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
I'm assuming you have the turf tires.

Can you change your technique to go forward with the left tire while reversing your right tire? That always works for me when I get a tire spinning.

I wouldn't go with anything as aggressive as what's going on RTV's. I'd go with paddle tires like what's pictured below if you want to get more traction.

Great tip. Can you send me detailed info on those tires on yours, please. Yes I do have turf tires.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:03 PM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

That's not mine. I just got the photo off the internet to show the paddle tires.

I'd still suggest you try that technique of having the left tire go forward while having the right tire go in reverse. It does work well.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
That's not mine. I just got the photo off the internet to show the paddle tires.

I'd still suggest you try that technique of having the left tire go forward while having the right tire go in reverse. It does work well.
It does work well, in certain areas of my are it does.

I might have gotten my right and left mixed up. LOL

When I am cutting up against some young trees, or a sidewalk edge or a buried LP gas tank riser, I need to turn to the left and getting the machine to NOT spin the left tire, as I turn tight around these and other items, is next to impossible. to put it simply, with the turf tires there is NO traction.

One other thing I did not mention before is that I have some areas on my property that are right at the uncomfortable edge of steepness. A little more traction in these areas of the property, which I can ONLY mow when it is bone dry because of the slightest bit of dampness it would be pure suicide, would be ideal.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyBlue View Post
One other thing I did not mention before is that I have some areas on my property that are right at the uncomfortable edge of steepness. A little more traction in these areas of the property, which I can ONLY mow when it is bone dry because of the slightest bit of dampness it would be pure suicide, would be ideal.
A couple tips.

To avoid tearing up your grass when making a U-turn, when making the turn, don't pivot your tractor on the inside wheel (where you're turning the ZTR around and one rear wheel doesn't move at all but is your pivot point). When you pivot, it'll tear up the grass right there. When making a U-turn, have your inside wheel roll backwards while your outside wheel rolls forward. E.g. When turning left, pull your left control backwards while pushing your right control forward which then has both tires moving in opposite directions.

Working on hills - Not sure how many or how steep your hills are but here's a technique tip for steep hills. Most ZTR's can handle moderate hills but really struggle on steep hills. If you try to go horizontally across the side of the hill, the mower will just slide sideways down the hill. If you try to go straight up the hill, you'll get a serious pucker factor when you start seeing your front tires coming off the ground. What I found works best is to go up the hill at a 45 angle so you're splitting the vertical and horizontal axis's of the hill. By doing so, it helps negate the tipping backwards and sliding down the hill.
The Following User Says Thank You to bczoom For This Useful Post:
Doc  (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 06:43 PM

rustyshakelford is on a distinguished road

To answer your question a little, on my old big diesel garden tractor, I put kenda executioners on it. Made a world of difference. If on a ZT, you'd definitely have to modify your technique to minimize turf damage but the spinning was killing my yard. After the new tires, it didn't spin anymore and did less turf damage all around

Brett
The Following User Says Thank You to rustyshakelford For This Useful Post:
Doc  (08-29-2017)
Old 09-06-2019, 06:21 AM

Luckystars is on a distinguished road

My 2008 RTV 900 came with 24x9.50-12 turf tires, like a zero turn mower would use. I'm wanting something a little more aggressive. What are the opinions on these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-4-Premi...d/173808038025

Thanks
Old 09-06-2019, 07:23 AM

aurthuritis is on a distinguished road

i don't know anything about those specific tires but before you buy anything you should check to see how much your machine weighs and then add for any payload you carry. then look at the load rating on the tires to see if they will be overloaded.
Doc  (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 07:28 AM

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower is on a distinguished road

Size, lugs and ply are great. I would take a careful look at the load rating for each tire and the type of work you plan to do. 675x4=2700. That would be your max working weight including RTV, people, cargo and fuel.

Some of the more experienced members may have some better advice. But on my 2016 1120D, I use ITP Blackwater 26x11x12 all around based on recommendations from several other members. I am not sure what sizes the 2008 model can take but the weight rating is important regardless.

Hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower For This Useful Post:
Doc  (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 08:05 AM

Thanked 1,517 Times in 838 Posts
bordercollie is on a distinguished road

Hi . I see the load rating is 675lbs per tire as Pawpaw Grower stated. The RTVs I've had weigh around 2000lbs empty so would consider that. What do you use your machine for? I loved my black water evolutions. The tread lasted and lasted and they were tough with high load capacities - near 1000 each and could be aired up to near 30 if I remember right. I kept about 20 in mine though- They will cost about twice as much though but will last and last- I went thru many sets of other brand tires on my machine before the tread was worn because they broke down but not the Blackwater Evolutions . They are a mud tire and will get you out of some bad situations but will also tear sod. bordercollie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bordercollie For This Useful Post:
D&D Farm (09-06-2019), Doc  (09-06-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 05:44 AM

Luckystars is on a distinguished road

I'm fighting sand mostly. The tires on it now are like a golf cart tread, meant to go on grass and sod. They are 1500# at 30 psi. They sink in sand like a train wheel would. If I drop them to 10-12 psi they do a lot better but are they 1500# tires stil?
I see 2000# for the RTV 900. Add fluids, me and Momma and a dog 2,500#
I'd like to think it'd be overloaded less than 1% of the time. We run around our 10 acres and 1/2 mile over to the neighbors. All Florida pastures and a little black top. But sand makes her belly drag.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luckystars For This Useful Post:
bordercollie (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 08:17 AM

aurthuritis is on a distinguished road

my conditions are also sandy and i have a lot of sticks and things that poke holes in tires. i also has the worksite tires on one of my 1100's. when i changed tires this spring i went with the ITP Baja cross 26-11-12 on one rig and 25-10-12 on the other. i have been very pleased with the tread design.