Mahindra USA

Just to be clear, I am following the owner's manual recommendations essentially verbatim. The question on the table (or at least in my mind) is whether or not I need to do even more because I am using ULSD.

Being a cranky old mechanical engineer, I still need to be convinced that more than one change at the start of each 7-month long tractor & backhoe season isn't enough. :)

Dougster

In my opinion, which doesn't count for much,:( that is more than enough.
As far as ULSD, it is mandated out here, no other choice. We better all get used to it. Is there a down side to ULSD?:confused: I thought that it was actually better, just cost more for the refining.

Bindian

We better all get used to it. Is there a down side to ULSD?:confused: I thought that it was actually better, just cost more for the refining.

Excerpts from Turbo Diesel Register (TDR) for Dodge/Cummins trucks. Issue#54 page 12 by Scott Dalgleish...To date, about the most negative report we have noted with any consistency would be that the detergent level of the new ULSD is purging all the "gunk" as John Holmes puts it, from the refinery's and station's equipment into your tank, requiring an additional fuel filter change or two above and beyond the recommended service intervals.The long term effects are yet to be determined, but the outlook is positive.
The bottom line is ULSD is not an exact science. Yet. Why risk the price of a fuel injector pump R&R over the price of changing fuel filters one more time during the year? What is the cost of break down on the job?

hugs, Brandi

Bindian

In my opinion, which doesn't count for much,:( that is more than enough.
As far as ULSD, it is mandated out here, no other choice. We better all get used to it. Is there a down side to ULSD?:confused: I thought that it was actually better, just cost more for the refining.
This from Fleet Owner http://fleetowner.com/mag/fleet_abcs_ulsd/
WILL ULSD AFFECT PERFORMANCE?
Engine and vehicle manufacturers expect ULSD to be fully compatible with the existing fleet, including 2006 and earlier model year vehicles. In some instances, however, the introduction of ULSD fuel to older vehicles may affect fuel system components or loosen deposits in fuel tanks. As part of a good maintenance program, owners and operators of existing trucks and buses are encouraged to monitor their diesel-powered vehicles closely for potential fuel system leaks or premature fuel filter plugging during the changeover to ULSD fuel.
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
This from Fleet Owner http://fleetowner.com/mag/fleet_abcs_ulsd/
WILL ULSD AFFECT PERFORMANCE?
Engine and vehicle manufacturers expect ULSD to be fully compatible with the existing fleet, including 2006 and earlier model year vehicles. In some instances, however, the introduction of ULSD fuel to older vehicles may affect fuel system components or loosen deposits in fuel tanks. As part of a good maintenance program, owners and operators of existing trucks and buses are encouraged to monitor their diesel-powered vehicles closely for potential fuel system leaks or premature fuel filter plugging during the changeover to ULSD fuel.
hugs, Brandi
Excerpts from Turbo Diesel Register (TDR) for Dodge/Cummins trucks. Issue#54 page 12 by Scott Dalgleish...To date, about the most negative report we have noted with any consistency would be that the detergent level of the new ULSD is purging all the "gunk" as John Holmes puts it, from the refinery's and station's equipment into your tank, requiring an additional fuel filter change or two above and beyond the recommended service intervals.The long term effects are yet to be determined, but the outlook is positive.
The bottom line is ULSD is not an exact science. Yet. Why risk the price of a fuel injector pump R&R over the price of changing fuel filters one more time during the year? What is the cost of break down on the job?
hugs, Brandi
I must admit it... you do make a very good case and I am, admittedly, very close to a scheduled fuel filter change anyway. Only question at this point is whether to put a new fuel filter in today (or, in reality, our next semi-almost-warm December day) or wait until next season begins on or about next April 1st. Between now and then, the Red Beast will not be run except occasionally on exceptionally warm days.

Dougster

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This weekend we are expecting temps to rise to the 60's. Today it was 9 degrees at 5:30am and we'll have a high of 30. So, we're having a mini heat wave just in time to put up Christmas lights. :D

So, Dougster, you guys should warm up at least above freezing by this Sunday. I'd change it then if it were me.

Bindian

I must admit it... you do make a very good case and I am, admittedly, very close to a scheduled fuel filter change anyway. Only question at this point is whether to put a new fuel filter in today (or, in reality, our next semi-almost-warm December day) or wait until next season begins on or about next April 1st. Between now and then, the Red Beast will not be run except occasionally on exceptionally warm days.

Dougster
At every 7 months, you are close to twice a year. My 2002 Dodge Cummins' fuel injection pump went out in a heart beat when the fuel filter clogged. I had no indication of the filter clogging. No surging or hesitation in the throttle. Just the next morning it would not start. I thought it strange the truck kept running while the pump was starving for enough fuel to lubricate itself. That is why I will be installing a fuel pressure sensor on my truck downstram of the filter, to catch future low pressure readings from a clogged filter. I don't want to pay $2500 (or more now) again for a pump replacement. An old friend of mine said I should have changed the pump myself. But sometimes, you just don't have the time to tear into your engine. That is why I am going to change my filters more often than the book says.
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

WOW Not only does she get an invite to the plant, from Brenda herself, but she also breaks the news on the new model. I am impressed:applause: Oh yea that probablly was a 6030 Brandi. They have 11.2R24's on the front end. Titan has them in 8 and 10 ply, but you ain't gonna like the price. Over $500.00 a piece. I think they are lined with gold or silver or maybe oil.
I just got an email from Tomball stating that was a 6530 I saw there last week.:D
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
I just got an email from Tomball stating that was a 6530 I saw there last week.:D
hugs, Brandi
Well, there ya go! :) Another first time product announcement from our representative on the inside!!! :D

And the real beauty of it? Now Ed's 4530 is no longer the third most powerful machine in the 30-series!!! Now it's in fourth place and OUT OF THE TOP THREE!!! :D

He'll want to sell and move up soon, of course! :thumb: Right Ed??? :wave:

Dougster

Bindian

Well, there ya go! :) Another first time product announcement from our representative on the inside!!! :D

And the real beauty of it? Now Ed's 4530 is no longer the third most powerful machine in the 30-series!!! Now it's in fourth place and OUT OF THE TOP THREE!!! :D

Dougster
Dougster,
Can you make room for it in your garage?;)
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Forget about trading up for a while folks. My wife took me down to pick up my truck today. When I turned around she was talking to a slaesperson/ It seems she wants to trade in her old Jeep Liberty for a new one. :bangin:

Dougster

Old Member
Forget about trading up for a while folks. My wife took me down to pick up my truck today. When I turned around she was talking to a slaesperson/ It seems she wants to trade in her old Jeep Liberty for a new one. :bangin:
I thought you only allowed Mercedes-Benz products into your fleet... or do you still consider Jeep to be a "Benz" product??? ;)

Dougster

I thought you only allowed Mercedes-Benz products into your fleet... or do you still consider Jeep to be a "Benz" product??? ;)

Dougster

No the Mrs has a Jeep. The Mercedes in your language are just ARE's. Found them at a good price, great for the kids to drive around. Heck you can take a Mercedes into a bridge abutment at 60 mph and walk away from it.
:wave: