After Market Hydraulic Oil Cooler? Your Thoughts? (CK20S Manual Transmission)

Rider7767

Site Supporter
My new CK20S is no longer new, now having 60 hours on it. I use the bucket loader for hours at a time digging stumps and moving dirt. After about a hour, I smell hot hydraulic fluid. I used my A/C laser Infrared Thermometer, and I am coming in at 75 Celsius (167 Fahrenheit) on the outside of the transmission case. The ambient temperature was 87 degrees Fahrenheit. The max temp for (According to the service Manual) is 80 Celsius for the MLS valve. So, I am good, but I think extra cooling would make the system last longer. The CK20S HST has a cooler, but the manual transmission does not. I am thinking about adding a hydraulic cooler in the engine compartment running off of the Power Steering return line. The return line is low pressure and looks to be 5/8" Transmission Hose. It runs from the Steering Control all the way back to the common sump. I can't see it hurting anything, but I can see it helping. What are your thoughts? :confused:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Rider, I don't know about the tractor, but the hydraulic cooler I added to the RTV works great. just having the oil run through the cooler's oil radiator has helped a ton. I added a thermostat to it so the fan will come on automatically or it can be just wired so that it runs when the machine is on.This is a link to the thread here on NT about it.The information is mixed in with my hydraulic weed wiper information- because using it made the oil hot. I added it on the low pressure hose side and this low pressure hose was the soft rubber type ,It sounds like what you are describing. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14755&highlight=hydraulic+cooler+added I also bumped the thread. bordercollie

Rider7767

Site Supporter
Hi Rider, I don't know about the tractor, but the hydraulic cooler I added to the RTV works great. just having the oil run through the cooler's oil radiator has helped a ton. I added a thermostat to it so the fan will come on automatically or it can be just wired so that it runs when the machine is on.This is a link to the thread here on NT about it.The information is mixed in with my hydraulic weed wiper information- because using it made the oil hot. I added it on the low pressure hose side and this low pressure hose was the soft rubber type ,It sounds like what you are describing. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14755&highlight=hydraulic+cooler+added I also bumped the thread. bordercollie

Bordercollie,
Thank you for the insight. That is exactly what I want to do. The cooler I pictured has its own automatic thermostat which switches the fan on at 80C and off at 60C. I just have to add power :17875: and build a mount.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I am like you and sure think it will help. ... I can put my hand on the pump and tank during use on the RTV since I added mine. ..