John Deere 4630 Transmission

Seamas Graham

A few months ago i was running my John Deere 4630 and it randomly lost power int the hydraulics and they wouldnt return. I ended up having to tow it home and it didn't have anything a transmission brakes anything that runs of the hydraulics. I got it home and cleaned the trans screen under the cab which was incredible dirty and changed the hydraulic filter that is in front of that. However even though the steering works and the brakes seem to work the transmission wont engage and the clutch seems not to work unless the tractor is at idle. I have never had a problem out of it and I have no way to move it from where it is currently positioned. Its been stuck for months and I need it on the farm again

jdgreen

A couple of questions. What was on the screen when you cleaned it? DO you have pictures of the material? What do you mean by the clutch works at idle? Will the tractor move at idle? What transmission do you have? Powershift or Quad Range?

Seamas Graham

I do not have a picture of the material however there was no metal it was all black chunky material like it came off the brakes the transmission at throttle wont stop spinning easily it takes a while to stop unless its at idle. It is a quad range transmission.

jdgreen

Do you have a pressure gauge you can check clutch pressure with? Make sure pressure goes to zero when you push clutch down and you should have maybe 160 psi with clutch pedal released. Does the pto shaft spin when you engage it? Does the lever stay in on its own?

Seamas Graham

I did the pressure with the clutch released it read about 160 but with it pressed it only dropped a fraction of that i dont remember the number but it wasnt 0 and with throttle on the tractor it was even worse however even with the clutch being out wouldnt the transmission be able to engage and the tractor move

jdgreen

You are correct, if you have clutch pressure and can get it into gear, it should move. If it does not, then there is something physically broken or worn out. Clutch splines, clutch shaft, hi-lo, differential, or axle stub shaft.