Riding MOWER troubs

shinnlinger

Hi,

I picked up a "free" Hystat 15 horse Ariens and got it going without much effort, but the mower (electric PTO) keeps throwing/burning/shredding belts. THe blades seem to spin freely.

ANy ideas?

N

Nicahawk

Shinn.....also ck for bad bearings in the spindles. Loosen the belt and feel by hand, should be able to spin the blades when the belts loose or off.

Mith

Shinn, follow the blet around with your hand and make sure it isnt rubbing on something. If there are any idler pulleys check they all spin freely.

If you put a new belt on and run it for a few minutes, grab hold of it and see if its hot (if it is its slipping, or running on something that doesnt turn freely). It might also be marked, which would give you an idea if its rubbing on anything.

shinnlinger

I have done these things and it appears the problem is the idler. It all spins fine, but there is some belt residue on the retaining wire below the idler. I swapped in a different idler (pays to have a junk pile) but it didn't work out because of the geometry. I thought increasing the spring tension on the idler would help, but it didnt so now I may improvise a different ider setup altogether. Or try the cub cadet again....