3 pt log splitter, DIYS?

wildcard

Im looking to build a log splitter. It's not hard I know but Im looking for feed back. Ram size single wedge vs 4 way, what would you do different, ect? Pics are a bonus.
Thanks!
Oh, JD870 30 HP

Mith

Ram size is going to determine your splitting power. However, its also going to determine the rams cycle speed.
The hydraulics on your tractor might not have enough flow to move the splitting ram fast enough. Let us know the flow and pressure of your tractor hydraulics, or are you planning to add a PTO pump?

If you are splitting uniform logs then a 4 way wedge might be handy. Odd shapes and sizes, I'd go for a single wedge. You could always make a table around the wedge to make hadling the logs easier.

wildcard

I had no plans to add a PTO pump. Im not sure of the flow rate and Im not home to look it up but it's a30 HP tractor, it should have more than enough power and flow for a log splitter, I would think.

SPYDERLK

I had no plans to add a PTO pump. Im not sure of the flow rate and Im not home to look it up but it's a30 HP tractor, it should have more than enough power and flow for a log splitter, I would think.
Usually a 30 hp tractor will not have a pump with more than around 9GPM capacity. It would take about 1/2 your engine power to produce that flow at 2500psi, and they have to leave something over to do other things with the tractor while you are using the hydraulics. With 2500 psi hydraulics on your tractor you are going to need at least a 4" hyd cyl. 9 or [probably] less gpm would be sloooww with a 4"cyl. Stand alone splitters use a 5 HP engine driving a 2 stage pump that pumps a lot of fluid at low pressure, then shifts down to a lower displacement when it encounters a lot of splitting resistance. This lets you get the wedge to the log quickly, and with typical logs that split quick you wont even notice it shift down to a slower ram speed. Small splitter 2 stage pumps are around 12gpm shifting down to about 3gpm for high pressure. These are suitable for reasonable speed with a 4"cyl. With your tractor the ram would never slow down, but would always be kinda slow. You will need a pto pump driven system to get around this slowness. Either that or buy a standalone.
larry

wildcard

9gpm? Wow, I was guessing much more. Ive got a 6V53 driving a 75gpm pump, prolly a little over kill huh? LOL
Sounds like I DO need a PTO pump. Thanks for the info.

Archdean

Usually a 30 hp tractor will not have a pump with more than around 9GPM capacity. It would take about 1/2 your engine power to produce that flow at 2500psi, and they have to leave something over to do other things with the tractor while you are using the hydraulics. With 2500 psi hydraulics on your tractor you are going to need at least a 4" hyd cyl. 9 or [probably] less gpm would be sloooww with a 4"cyl. Stand alone splitters use a 5 HP engine driving a 2 stage pump that pumps a lot of fluid at low pressure, then shifts down to a lower displacement when it encounters a lot of splitting resistance. This lets you get the wedge to the log quickly, and with typical logs that split quick you wont even notice it shift down to a slower ram speed. Small splitter 2 stage pumps are around 12gpm shifting down to about 3gpm for high pressure. These are suitable for reasonable speed with a 4"cyl. With your tractor the ram would never slow down, but would always be kinda slow. You will need a pto pump driven system to get around this slowness. Either that or buy a standalone.
larry

If it were me AND it was a few years ago ,, A stand alone is the only way to go!!

One of the most popular 30+ HP tractors on the market today still needs a HYD Pump and that = a stand alone splitter for all the above reasons!!

http://www.kubota.com/f/products/GL40/pdf/gl40_spec.pdf

cj7

Get a stand alone.

You can have a trailer on your tractor for the wood or use the bucket to carry it off.

Or hook the stand alone to the tractor to move it around.

This is my 3pt splitter. I used to run it off the pto, wasn't too bad with the tractor withs the 2sp pto at 1000rpm.
I changed it last winter and put an engine and pump on it.

I split some fair size wood at times and that is the reason for the boom and winch.

talking of splitter wedges. Mine is a T. In this fashion it doesn't matter how large the piece is, you get 2 pieces off the bottom of the block each time.
I find that unless all your wood is just the perfect size thes works well. even with a smaller system I would go with this. As I pust the block through the knife, it is easy to tip the block up and let it ride the ram back to drop in for the next push.

I just finished up about 50 cord. I may be leaving for work, and wanted enough to keep her warm while I am gone lol. As the logging in this part of the country is going down the tube figured I would get some while I could.

This splitter is about 25+ yrs old, has split some of the worst knarliest wood you could ever put through a splitter.

Attachments

• P1020680(1).JPG
    P1020680(1).JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 279

korydz

I ran into the same challenges when looking for a splitter. I didn't want another engine to service, and I prefer the sound of my little deisel tractor humming along to the noise of a single cylinder gas engine. The biggest issue I ran into was that my Kubota BX2660 has a maximum flow rate of 6.3 gpm. I thought I was going to have to go with a PTO pump which was more costly and cumbersome than I wanted.

Then I found the Split-fire log splitters. It seems they've been around for years and that the rental yards love their stand alone units. The one I bought, the 3203, will run on as little as 4 gpm and still have decent cycle time. Very reasobabley priced, great company to deal with, and my regional dealer (Northern Manitoba) was superb. I was even able to get it painted Kubota Orange for a extra hundred bucks. Check it out. They have videos on the site. There is quite a bit of talk about these on tbn and arborist.com.

http://www.split-fire.com/

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info Kory. Thanks for sharing. Rep points for you. :D :thumb:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is my 3pt splitter. I used to run it off the pto, wasn't too bad with the tractor withs the 2sp pto at 1000rpm.
I changed it last winter and put an engine and pump on it.

I split some fair size wood at times and that is the reason for the boom and winch.

talking of splitter wedges. Mine is a T. In this fashion it doesn't matter how large the piece is, you get 2 pieces off the bottom of the block each time.
I find that unless all your wood is just the perfect size thes works well. even with a smaller system I would go with this. As I pust the block through the knife, it is easy to tip the block up and let it ride the ram back to drop in for the next push.

I just finished up about 50 cord. I may be leaving for work, and wanted enough to keep her warm while I am gone lol. As the logging in this part of the country is going down the tube figured I would get some while I could.

This splitter is about 25+ yrs old, has split some of the worst knarliest wood you could ever put through a splitter.
Wow! Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Reps for you too. :thumb: :D

Mith

What size ram you got there RD? Any specs on the pressure and flow you are willing to give us?

I just ordered the ram for my splitter project earlier. My hydraulics guy was an absolute star as usual and gave me the appropriate discount! :D

The ram is a 5inch and I have a 3.3ci pump. I got it from northern tools and I have a 24hp honda running it. check with them online for gpm, I have forgotten, but it puts out the oil. I was shearing keys so I backed off the pressure a bit so it would just pull the engine down and not kill it. I have no idea what the pressure is set at, all I know is it will shear a log sideways or a 6inch knot like nothing.

When I first started splitting, I sheared the knife and I beam right off the end. After rebuilding it a bit stouter and backing off the pressure a bit it has worked wonderfully.