plan to sell ward gilson tractor but want know what right price.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is why this scam works. There is no obvious markings on the check to warn you that it is fake.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Milwauke,
You will not be able to see anything out of the ordinary. The check will not be honored at your bank after a few days or weeks. You'll be liable for that money. The bank may tell you it looks okay and then it will still not be honored.

Milwaukee

Ok just got e-mail today 17 min ago

I have just been informed now by my courier company that the check will deliver to you tommorow moring here is the tracking number (8634 9651 7919 ) so i want you to go to your bank and cash the check,then you will deduct your money for the item,plus an extra $50 for your troubles,Then you will go to nearest western union outlet and have the money send.

Here is my shipper's information below:
NAME: CHARMAINE BARAJAS,
CITY: ROSEMAED
STATE: CALIFORNIA 91770

After sending the money you will get back to me with the transfer details which include
1.MTCN number at the reciept
2.,Actual Amount sent
3.Sender's name and address.
as soon as you do this today i would be expecting your reply then my shipper can come for the couch this weekend ok.
Do get back to me .
Thanks

I don't know but want your opinion. Thank

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
still sounds like a scam.

wants it shipped to Florida but is using an individual in California as a shipping agent and can't even spell the name of the town in CA correctly?

Lost track of what she is purchasing, lot of difference in the "couch" she mentions rather than the lawn mower she is purchasing.

Jim

Milwaukee

I don't know but will e-mail again.

If I got check I will go bank and ask them not cash but want them check record on it make sure it not fake or forge check.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
There is no doubt this is a scam asking you to send real money to them. If you want to keep playing along, insist that you will hold the check until they have paid the shipper themself.

Whatever you do, DON'T send your money anywhere.

This started out with you offering to provide a tractor. You didn't advertise that you wanted to send cash to a stranger!!! Don't do it.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well look at this!

I put that tracking number in Google and got a Fedex courier envelope shipped yesterday from Signal Hill, 30 minutes south of Rosemead. (both in the Los Angeles urban area). See:
http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?language=english&cntry_code=us&tracknumbers=863496517919
and
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=rosemead&2s=ca&2z=

Scammers use Fedex and UPS because scams using US Mail will be investigated by federal agents and they don't want that. If this were a real transaction, sending you the check by ordinary mail would have been their obvious choice.

Milwaukee, we are sitting here watching you be robbed. It's up to you to end this game.

Milwaukee

Ok thank I will e-mail to tell them. I will fool them that garden tractor already sold to nice man who live near to our.

Milwaukee

He answer this 5 min ago

i understand how u feel cos of what going on craig list...i will never put my fellow human being in trouble cos i am a man with conscience and i let my conscience guild me in whatever i do in life....
So as soon as u get the check tommorow,cash it deduct your own money and an extra $50 for your running around and get the remaining funds wire to my shipper via western union and get back to me with the money transfer information.
Thanks and i hope you hear from you soon.

Milwaukee

you are right it damn scam. he e-mail say

but you will get my check tommorow,so what are u going to do...will u help me cash the check, then...let me know.
Thanks

Well when I get his check so I should report to bank for forge check or just throw in garabge?

Milwaukee

You not believe this he sent check it look to be real or fake but paper feel thin. It say 3,500 dollars and there are signature from people it not real signature it more computer print signature.

And I did call bank and they say it fraud.

J

JDFANATIC

I was at one of our banks today to open a CD and while waiting noticed a sign noting the exact scam Milwaukee thankfully did not fall into. :badidea: The sad thing is that if these guys put their cleverness and efforts into something productive, they would be able to do much better and not have to always be looking over their backs.

Ashley8053

Found this thread too late...

I wish I would of found this thread a week ago, and then maybe today I would not be out over $3,000...

Allow me to explain, I posted an item on Craig's List and about 2 hours later got a reply from an "interested buyer" almost EXACTLY like you described. I received a check via UPS a couple days later for the amount of my sold item, an added $50 "for my troubles", and over $2,000 to be sent Western Union to their "shipper". After I cashed the check (which my bank did with no problem!) I sent the remaining money as instructed through Western Union. It took a week for my bank to figure out the check was fake and by that time the money was long gone. I actually discovered this thread by entering the name of the shipper into Google. I do believe the person trying to scam you might be the exact same person who successfully scammed me.

This is what was sent to me:

Here is my shipper's information below-----

Name-----Charmaine Barajas
Street address---2152 La Presa Ave,
City----Rosemead.
State------California
Zipcode------91770

If you read this thread I would appriciate you getting in contact with me, I am interested to see if the person's e-mail address is the same, and possibly see if you have any information that might help me fight what happened.

If anyone else here has any suggestions, please let me know, I am currently paying my bank back in payments but I am determined to take this as far as I can go, I do believe with some perseverance this person can be caught.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry you got caught in a scam.

I hope Milwaukee can help you with some more information.

You might try a pm to him to make sure he knows you are looking for him.

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that Ashley. I feel for you. These people work harder at ripping people off than if they'd just get a job and make money legally. :pat:

Welcome to NTT. Sorry you didn't hear about us sooner so this thread could have save you some cash.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another tip for anyone selling an item online, if they send you a check via UPS instead of the US Postal Service you better beware. If they used the US Post Office they could be charged with mail fraud, but since they send the check via UPS they avoid that charge, which would involve the FBI in the case.
The thief's always have a good explanation for everything.
Be careful out there.
Ashley I feel for you. Good luck catching the slime balls.

Mark777

OMG Ashley!

These unscrupulous jerks become more efficient every single time a scam becomes exploited. We've had two incidents in our family where everything seemed legitimate, but they were still taken for a few thousand dollars each. And they felt mostly stupid for ever buying into the scheme in the first place.

I don't agree with their feelings as stupid isn't the real problem...it's the honest, hard working, law abiding people who still believe in trusting others, as you would want them to trust you. Two things that seldom happen are for the thieves to be caught and go to prison - and the victims to recover their money..........Honestly, I hope in you case I'm proved wrong on both counts.

Good luck and Welcome to NTT.

Mark