FEL

02dmaxx

Anyone here w/front end loader plans that they are willing to sell/share for garden tractors? I'v been searching high and low,and found some "plans" but they are primitive! Anyone have a good set of plans?
Thanks

Erik

why not take a look at northern tool or sears and steal their design?
I've also seen a design for ATVs that uses the front mounted winch to raide the bucket.

Mark777

Loaderplans.com
Many people have successfully completed a loader using the plans at the link above. They also do backhoe plans.

Ditto - What Mith attached.

My first homemade loader came from a pencil and several pages of blank paper. I copied and measured everything from a FEL installed on another tractor, drew pictures and inquired about tube wall thicknesses. Bought the steel necessary and cut everthing using my notes as my guide. Fortunately, I have a fair size drill press, hole saws, small metal cutting bad saw and a large Miller welder. It took me about two months to work out all the problems and assemble the finished pieces…..and another month to add the hydraulics.

:pat: - This was before I even looked at the cad-plans that were available. I’m thinking I could have had the project completed in three weeks IF I had paid the $55 for the plans.

Mark

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Well two of the experts on fabrication have already spoken up. Listen to those two, Mark and Mith. They know how to do it.

olcowhand

I built my FEL from scratch, & from scratching my head. Figured to build to fit my tractor, and liked the challenge of doing it on my own. A couple things I should have done... 1: used two tilt cylinders to do away with the high "cross-over" tube.(I was being cheap, just buying one cylinder)
2: due to time, I opted NOT to add a self-leveling bucket system (very nice feature, but more complicated).

Here's a few pics of mine during fabbing. Click on each for larger view.

02dmaxx

Thanks for the pics. OCH. I took a gander at your fine machine over on the other site. Few questions: Did you bush the pivot points,if so,what did you use? Did you use an upright for your fluid tank? And,is it possible to still use the original belly mower with your loader attached? Thanks in advance

olcowhand

No using a belly mower, but I didn't want to anyway as my deck is shot, plus I have many others to mow with. My uprights & the underframe are all connected to carry oil. Oil temps never get high as the metal is a good heat-sink. Oil is supplied to pump from lower of right upright, & returned 1/2 way up the left upright to assure good mixing of oil for proper cooling.
I just used 3/4" ID pipe for bushings in arms with zerks for grease.
The plates on loader have tabs welded to prevent pins from rotating, thus lessening wear there.

02dmaxx

OCH,what for pump are you using? I was thinking of using a power steering pump off a truck,wonder if that would work?
I see you are using two controls,what are your thoughts on a "joy stick"?

olcowhand

I'm using a hydraulic pump off a Case 446. Power steering pumps are used a lot, but you'll need a heavy duty one off a larger truck for long life.
Far as joysticks, out Cat 910 payloader has a sort of joystick. It's actually a standard 2 spool, but connected to one arm. Forw/Rev, then pull the stick left or right to tilt the bucket. I can go either way, but the joystick would be better from what I've experienced.

blacksmithman

I checked many fel's for ideas and designed this for my garden tractor. My tractor is over 30 years old and I had trouble buying one from the company. I used a 3 spool valve and added outlets on my cross bar so I could add a grapple in the future.
SideView1.jpg

BucketUpTilted.jpg

DaytonLoaderALCYLN.jpg

HydraulicPlugssideview.jpg

Mith

How is the loader working for you Blacksmith?
IIRC you finished yours at about the same time as I did mine. Mine's been handier than a pocket on a shirt, hasnt missed a beat.

olcowhand

Blacksmithian....looks like you have your hydraulic filter in suction line like I did. Wondering if you have cavitation when using in cold weather until oil warms? I knew it would be better on return line, but wanted to make sure any welding residue, etc did NOT get to my pump. When I switch my FEL to my MF1655, I believe I'll flush the uprights really well, then put the filter on return fitting. I'll also put a strong magnet in the bottom near intake to catch any metal particles.

blacksmithman

olcowhand ~~~ I do not have any cavitation in cold weather but I have not used it when it was very cold.

Mith ~~~ I have been using mine with out any major problems the only thing I have is a leak in one cylinder shaft seal, but my cylinders are used and I thought I checked them out before using them. It is only a small leak. I had to switch to 4 ply front tires as my 30 year old 2 ply tires could not take the heavy loads. I do love the foot pedal instead of the lever. I still need to make a guard to protect the pump.

100_0987.jpg
Close-upFootControl.jpg

john deere

OCH,what for pump are you using? I was thinking of using a power steering pump off a truck,wonder if that would work?
I see you are using two controls,what are your thoughts on a "joy stick"?

how big of power stearing pump are you using and how many cylinders are u using withit?

olcowhand

how big of power stearing pump are you using and how many cylinders are u using withit?

I'm powering steering with the charge/lift pump on the hydro unit. Joysticks work nice. I went cheap as I could. I have only one centered tilt cylinder, but plan to change to two tilts. Standard two lift cylinders. I will later likely be adding a grapple too. I have a 3rd spool I will add to these 2 to control the grapple. Most truck type steering pumps are plenty durable to use to power an FEL.

olcowhand

I'm powering steering with the charge/lift pump on the hydro unit. Joysticks work nice. I went cheap as I could. I have only one centered tilt cylinder, but plan to change to two tilts. Standard two lift cylinders. I will later likely be adding a grapple too. I have a 3rd spool I will add to these 2 to control the grapple. Most truck type steering pumps are plenty durable to use to power an FEL.

During the summer, I changed from single tilt cylinder to dual. MUCH more tilt power now.
Jeepfreak....yep, I enjoy using my welders....I have a few, one gas engine powered Lincoln 150, a Lincoln 225AC/DC, a small wire welder, 180amp MIG, and Hobart 250 TIG/Stick.