Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
A Who done it Mystery (not)

We went out to eat pizza the other night and left Willie the collie (Dixie's sister) to watch her part of the house. Dixie watched the other half. Well, the church had soup day that afternoon so we bought extra and put those desserts on the dining table along with the
cornbread muffins . It was 5 pieces of cake and 5 or 6 pieces of cornbread. Well, when we got back about an hour + later, all deserts and cornbread pieces were gone and the styrofoam containers neatly piled on the floor with no chew holes. Willie said she had no idea what happened to them . Who couldn't believe this sweet and innocent face. ( but the bird told on her ( because she wouldn't share) . ;) ) bordercollie

Attachments

• KIMG0477.jpg
    KIMG0477.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 123

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We had some rough wind last night here in Ms but it was worse at the old home place area in se Arkansas. My cousin called and sent these pictures showing the entire are had been hit and even closed parts of the state highway including that area. I lost about 3 big trees in the yard - one falling directly down the cyclone fence but just about 20 ft from and none of it on the house miraculously . The barn is all but gone but just some shingles on the house are missing that I know of . will have to go over and see about getting the trees off of the powerline- contacting the power folks for that of course. The rest will be up to me.
The house looks very strange and sorta sad without those trees. All of that light coming thru the background trees tells me that there is damage on the neighbor behind me as well.
Sometimes I wonder why I hold on to the place- silly old sentimentalist - that's me....

Attachments

• IMG_2858.jpg
    IMG_2858.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2861.jpg
    IMG_2861.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry Judy!!!

Sorry Judy!!! At least it missed the house. Lots of firewood will be produced. Usually the power guys will be glad to chip your stuff up for a few dollars under the table or nothing, especially if was on their right-of-way...……..
IT MISSED THE HOUSE......that and it looks like it has opened up a new garden spot....IT MISSED THE HOUSE!!! The angels were for sure there watching out for YOU!!!...….IT MISSED THE HOUSE......amen

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow. 11 dead from those storms. They hit us here in Ohio but the worst part of it was in your neck of the woods Judy. Thank God you are okay and, like Dennis said, it missed the house. :clap: :clap: If I were in your shoes I'd do all I could to hold on to the old place. I'm sentimental like that also.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Dennis and Doc !!!! Amen to the miracle of that other tree missing it. You can see in the picture that the top is out of one of those 2 still standing . I was blessed. So much tragedy for others across the country.
My other cousin was "knocked " out of bed when a tree hit where he was.
Doc, I'm sure going to try and keep it . You never know about the future and what it holds. Thank ya'll for the encouragement. judy

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Just for the information, my insurance agent said it was a tornado but about 50 ft off of the ground or devastation would have been huge. The little town where the power comes from (pop about 3,000) still has none but many crews have been brought in and should have it up in town maybe tomorrow. He said my meter was torn off of the house. Unfortunately he said my insurance didn't cover but the house alone so I think maybe...I'll be ordering one of Aurthuritis recommended saws and do this a bite at a time after the power line crew is done with all they will. My old husqvarna gas is worn out after over 15 years of sunshine rotting the cover and a hard life as well.
I can stretch the cyclone fence myself with a comealong after the tree is gone ... but those stumps maybe use the comealong to jack it off the fenceline a bit.

My beloved bird passed away today also . It was over 20 years ago the Lord granted me this ray of sunshine in my life. She would sing jingle bells with the kids when they practiced their flutes and could do it almost perfectly once she got started . I had made her a large flight cage here in the house with cypress boards I salvaged off of the porch floor when it needed work. That's when I got my table saw. I just put bird netting on it with a walk in door with 6 sections so it could be moved by taking the pins out of the hinges. . Her species will not be named here but she was extremely smart and even recognized my footsteps, knew me as mama, and was a great guardbird as well. :) The house is very quiet tonight however, I believe she is now singing to the Lord up in heaven along side Mama and Daddy too.
It's been some kind of week.. I'm still grateful for all things because there is a reason for everything and I do believe in Him.

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Tornado Damage Update

I made a day trip to patch my roof and cut some limbs . The power line in the driveway is still down under a tree but the REA fellow said that he would have it up by this weekend - Still extra crews everywhere because of the damage. My neighbor had a tree top come thru his roof just like my cousin did but said that he knew some one that would cut the limbs for firewood off of that tree and the others I can do the "bite at a time method" . He had his fence mashed by a tree from his property too.
I found this note stuck in my mailbox. It is sure nice to see people willing to help others without a price tag. Although I don't need help, many do.What a blessing to many there . :)

Attachments

• KIMG0528.jpg
    KIMG0528.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 69

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is awesome Judy. Restores your faith in humanity. I love it when we come together to help each other. Good for them that do. :clap: :clap: :clap:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Just one day at a time Judy. It's all that you can do anyway. Often, we want it RIGHT NOW. Far more than we can actually take care of; but moving that mountain does take a bit of time. So for the real plan, perhaps the path HE lays down is walked upon by one step at a time.
So, for me, it's HARD; but by turning to HIM and asking for that help, I GET IT!!! How does HE know what you want and need if you don't talk to HIM and plan. Don't be afraid of that Judy. I know you have the FAITH. You have all the friends here and I know that MANY ARE ASKING HIM for HIS help to go into your heart and hands......God is so GOOD.....Hard to just be quiet about this.....Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You are right Dennis.
I met my neighbor as he drove up while I was trimming some fallen limbs. He looked at the my house in amazement and shook his head wondering how it avoided damage to a greater degree. He had a piece of his tree come through his roof in addition to one huge one across his fence lengthwise.

I told him that everytime I left, I walked around the house said a prayer for safety from thieves ,termites and such. I badly needed a new roof on it but my prayer covered this old roof too. There is a reason for all things and I will just keep on keeping on with it until something changes my mind (as far as keeping it). God is in charge of me . :) Thank you and God bless ya !! judy

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Another Appliance Fix

In case your electric dryer quits working ..( Lights on buttons come on but nothing else happens) It's could be the belt. I thought I should be able to hear the motor run and the drum wouldn't turn if it was the belt... but no. There is a kill switch on the motor pulley that shuts off the motor if the tension on the belt fails. Belt was $12. At first, I thought it was the thermal fuse .. Much talk on the internet about that, but cheap and easy to fix also . Just remember where all the certain sized metal screws go. I also bought some of the one sided foam insulation tape to replace the rotten stuff on the dryer where the blower is. It's working great now . The kill switch is the little silver lever under the pulley and coming from the motor in the picture.
If yours ever quits heating, the heating element is right there in the bottom right too. Ours was ok but just FYI , I mentioned its location. I fixed our other dryer's element once with a paperclip and it lasted a long time - that was back before the internet and dryers were less complicated . The new elements are more reasonable nowadays.
remember: To unplug first, and pictures as you disassemble, are your friends. ;) bordercollie

Attachments

• KIMG0539.jpg
    KIMG0539.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Bad weather again

It was a stormy night here . Hard winds and rain started at 2 am and knocked out power . Broke over 5 power poles on road dividing bils land . Picture of one . We're on the generator and school is canceled in most areas due to no power and roads blocked. Much damage and trees down . elsewhere in county. Picture shows one of the 5 power poles snapped off by my electric fence. Grateful no cows were in that patch.
The rain and wind was so strong that I flew downstairs like a teenager and got the others up and ready to go to the tornado room. It was so bad though, that we hesitated going the 50 ft to the safe room which is outside by a huge tree. I had the puppies ready to go though.. not ever leaving them behind. Probably would have to carry them as they aren't a fan of bad weather and really wanted to stay in the house. I'll be doing some training on that now...

Attachments

• Resized_20200304_084930.jpg
    Resized_20200304_084930.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 18

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wow! That is really harsh. Sounds like you have some cleanup to do.

Looking at the weather post, I just noticed your prior clothes dryer post. Thanks for describing that, I learned more than I knew before.

Our dryer didn't have that motor cutout switch, you could hear the motor run without drum motion, so it was simple to analyze then replace the broken belt. Another time at about its 21st year, it ran but didn't heat. This is a gas dryer so that looked complex. I researched and found a Youtube video that said 9 times out of ten this is caused by a bad over-temperature sensor in the vent, which is an electric switch controlling the gas solenoid. Under $10 from a parts house, half that on Ebay, or under $10 for a card of ten sensors from China. The one from Ebay was labelled made by Whirlpool-Mexico. That's all it needed, the dryer runs like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.