RTV 900 squealing noise

westbrooklawn

My RTV 900 has developed a rather loud squealing/squeaking noise which seems to be coming from underneath... middle of machine area. It only makes the noise when moving forward in two wheel drive. I have put the transmission in nuetral while moving and the noise continues. If I drive it in four wheel drive it doesn't squeak. Makes no noise when idling or reved up at standstill. I've looked as best I can, but can't find anything in the area of the squeak that should cause it.

Any ideas?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Have you tightened the fan belt? It needs to be pretty firm. Mine did the same thing and tightening the belt solved the problem. I loosened the hut , carefully pryed it out with a bar and re tightened.Bordercolllie

doggman

Check the rear axle shafts where they go into the transmission. There are some metal cups that shield the bearings and sometimes they get stuff in them. Look for evidence of rubbing, like shiny metal surfaces. I have greased that area before and it took care of the issue.

westbrooklawn

Thanks for all the comments.... I will check the belt, but I would think that a belt squeal would continue when I put it in four wheel drive, and also when I rev the motor up in nuetral. The rear axle shafts are of interest... this only started after I had driven through some foot deep water and mud. It still doesn't explain the four wheel issue, unless having it in four wheel produces some torque in other parts of the drive train that would eliminate the squeal.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Upps, I forgot this

Westbrook, be sure to check the carrier bearing. It is oval shaped . This is where the front and rear drive shafts meet at the center frame- Sort of under the seat. I had forgot all about this but the same thing happened to me. I squirted WD 40 all over it and then a little oil so the beads would get lubed and it got quiet but it had some wear so I replaced it. I have replaced it twice so far at 32oo hrs. The other time it came apart on me . I would guess this would probably be the source of your squeal . It is pretty simple to replace but you must fiddle with the front and rear shafts(drop the ends at the bearing down) and it sort of lifts up into place with the bearing. Pay attention to the direction of the bearing as one side is a little different . I hope this solves your problem. If not I blabbed too much :>). Let me know if you should need any info, I will be gone to Ark. Saturday though. Bordercollie

westbrooklawn

Bordercollie -

That sounds exactly like the area the noise is coming from. I only have about 85 hours on this machine so it shouldn't be worn out, but maybe I jammed some mud or debris in that area and it needs cleaning and greasing. I will have to get it on some jackstands and check it out. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Bearing picture

Picture of the bearing. The perforated covers should be removed in order to clean etc. the other side of the bearing or to replace it. It is amazing how much stuff can get up in there...I will be cleaning the RTV up soon after getting stuck last week.... Bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF2115.JPG
    DSCF2115.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 242

westbrooklawn

It's a squeak, squeak, squeak... I feel sure it is the carrier bearing, but I haven't had time to take a look at it yet. I am going to try to clean and lube it first... it shouldn't be worn out with under 100 hours on it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yea, Try that. I used the wd 4o with the straw and just sort of rinsed the bearing out with it. The bearing probably has a little bit of trash etc in there from the trip thru the water you went in. You might be able to just crawl under and squirt the heck out of the one side without any thing else being done for now. Good Luck, Bordercollie

westbrooklawn

I think that is what I will try to do Bordercollie... and then follow up with a good spray lube.

Just as a point of interest, I have always been a big fan of WD40, but then about 3 years ago I found out that it is not labeled as a lubricant, but more of a cleaner/water remover. Now I use WD40 to clean things out and get them moving, and then follow up with a spray lube... most recently I have been using Sea Foam "Deep Creep" which works very well, and I have also been experimenting with "Fluid Film" which seems to be a really good lube with good sticking properties.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a huge fan of Fluid Film as well as Kroil & PB Blaster. For this application, I'd probably use the Fluid Film.

zenchal26

lubing it will work for a while thats what I did till I got tired of it. Put the rear wheels up off the ground and push the pedal so the tires will spin slowly (make sure its in 2wd), then lub it helps it get in there.