MF165 4WD

rors

Hi There
I wonder can any one help me or point me in the right direction
I am looking for a good mechanic or engineer that can give me some advice on the following.
I have a mf 165 round axle with a core spline shaft.
I want to make it in to a 4wd but in order to use a 4wd kit i would need to change the main shafts from core spline shaft to a fine spline shaft, if i lets say bout a gearbox off a mf 165 with square axle this would have a fine spline shaft witch would work .
But i would need to change the back end as well Is there any way of changing these shafts, in to a fine spline with out changing the hole back end in other words is it posable to just change the shafts to fine spline?
And is it posable to have fine spline at one end and core spline at the other?
Thanks For Any Help
Rors

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

The biggest question I have is why would you want to do this? The 165 is a great tractor for 2WD. Personally, I'd take that tractor and sell to someone who needs one and swap for a 4WD. You could probably do it for cheaper then trying to take that 165 and making it 4WD. A 165 with Perkins diesel is sought after all over the place and I wouldn't expect it to be hard to sell and/or swap.

rors

Hi And thanks for your reply.
I love this tractor and your right these have to be one of the best tractors going
But we have very wet land here and i need a small 4wd .
Yes i could trade it in and buy one but this tractor was left to me by my dad so it means so much to me i can even remember the day we bought it.
Thanks any way.
Rors

urednecku

I have a 165 also, my late Daddy bought it in the early/mid '70s. Also have a Kubota M7040 4wd about 5 yrs old. I honestly believe the 165 will go anyplace the 'bota will, pulling the same load. Difference is rear tire size. 16.9-30 on the 'Bota, I can't recall the size on the MF, but they are quite a bit wider.
Maybe an option for ya?

Richief

Do a google search for MF135 4wd. I remember recently seeing someone who already succeeded in that modification to a 135. They would be the one to talk to. Good Luck. And if it doesnt work out, there are many other ways to improve a 2wd in soft ground.