Home made weight for a Kubota.

Doubleh

Been awhile since I've been around the forum but I thought I would post a picture of a tank I built for additional weight for my little Kubota. The tank is made from a piece of 16" OD 3/8" wall pipe. Ends are 3/16" plate and the frame is 3" sch 40 pipe loaded with 3/4" sucker rod before the 1/4" thick ends were welded on. Filled with water it weighs over 400 pounds. t was made strictly from stuff left over from precious jobs.

BBQ005.jpg

I also made the shade from a piece of 1/8" 6061 aluminum that was a leftover too. I had to buy the stove bolts and u- bolts and paint. I have $30-$35 in this.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Now that is one of the most sensible and smartest weight boxes that I've seen. I may have to steal that idea. I have an old piece of 20" casing laying around that I was going to use for a bbq at one time but never got round to it. Cool!!!!!

urednecku

I LIKE IT!! You did a great job, and thanks for the pic.
I have a water softner tank, I think 12" diameter about 4'or 4 1/2' long, I plan to fill with junk metal, then concrete, for a weight. No idea what it will weigh.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Do you completely fill it with water?
If not, I'd hate to see it slosh side to side and give you some wiggle while you're moving.

Doubleh

I completely fill it. It's hard to see in the picture but there is half of a 1 1/4" pipe collar welded on top of the tank right behind where the top link attaches. The is half of a 1/2" pipe collar welded on each end to drain the tank in winter. I toyed with filling it 50-50 with anti-freeze which would have made it weigh a little more. After figuering the cost of that much anti-freeze I decided it worked just fine with 100% water.

chowhound

Here's my cheapo counterweight, also around 400+ lbs. I don't use it anymore so it sits (if anyone is close to Erie, PA, you can have it). When I traded in my 7500 for a 3130 the dealer said that if I got my tires loaded I wouldn't need a counterweight. He was right. I've had over 800 lbs on a pallet lifted with bucket forks and the tractor isn't tippy at all. Pretty flat terrain though.

Attachments

• my counterweight1.jpg
    my counterweight1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 324

urednecku

chowhound, that looks like a simple, very effective weight, also. If I was close enough, I'd take ya up on that offer.

Erik

I built a bracket for my box blade to hold 6 kitty litter buckets full of extra concrete - gives me about 1000 pounds max, but can still go lighter if need be. Even so, I was coming pretty close to floating the back tires monday evening spreading more gravel.