tree stuck under dock

Wannafish

Sure, as long as Rick (Wannafish) brings that extra long extension cord. 3000' should do it if you cut through the woods.

I'll put my genny on a raft and float down the river to your place. 3000' feet sounds like it would get awfully heavy!:D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll put my genny on a raft and float down the river to your place. 3000' feet sounds like it would get awfully heavy!:D

You are right there. I'm considering stringing three 1000 ft. rolls. I'm counting on the dozer to help make that job easier.

Call me when your raft hits the Marietta area. Heck I might even be out on the boat by then and I'll give ya a tow.

tjack

Can't understand why you can't saw thru the log. Chain dull? saw too small? This can be fixed. Don't give up on sawing the log. Sounds like your best bet.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can't understand why you can't saw thru the log. Chain dull? saw too small? This can be fixed. Don't give up on sawing the log. Sounds like your best bet.
I wish I had remembered to take pics but I didn't. The log is long gone. The log was to thick to saw through with my 16" blade on my chain saw considering I had to keep the chain saw above water. The log would not spin. It had a few submerged branches. I had to be able to float it back towards the bank to get at a thiner part of the log (the thinner part was underneath the docks and would not come out at all until we could float the log towards shore.
I was also trying to stay out of the water as it was April and still cold. I got it out (had to get in the water to do it) a few weeks after this thread was started and completely forgot pics or to post a followup. my bad. :hide:

Ron Leard

I cut my fathers floating pier into pieces with a Stihl 026. The pier was on its last legs and most of the flotation material had disinegrated. I didn't like the idea about putting saw bar in water, it made a real mess, water flying everywhere, but it did the trick on the water logged wood. I took saw apart afterwards and let it air dry. The saw made out just fine. A suggestion, you may want to use enviromentally friendly chain oils, they sell such a product for people who use their saws in state parks/game lands (mandantory). Or, if u have an old chain, you can probally run it in the water with no chain oil, shouldn't heat up to badly. Reminds me of the TV series "SWAMP LOGGERS" those guys jump right in the water with the saws screaming, cutting those logs, I couldn't imagine........ good luck.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Mtntopper/Doc:
I have tried all sorts of chain saw sharpening gadgets. Now all I use is an electric Dremel - type tool with a chain saw angle guide. It takes various size sharpening stones. Serves my purpose. I use it to re-sharpen my Stihl chains 4-5 times and if I get it really out of wack take it to get machine sharpened. Costs 5 bucks to machine sharpen a chain here in sw PA. I can usually get about 10 total sharpenings before tossing it. I try to keep several chains ready to use.
Now.... how to get that floating log out from under your dock? .... thats going to be interesting...
Keifer, a (Kubota) RTV wannabe