Which tiller to consider?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
O.K. I have decided to forgo the disc and sooner or later get a tiller. I am considering the 66" Sicma Phoenix at everything attachments (2395 delivered ) or the KK brand which would be around $2,000 + locally . I have seen long videos of the Phoenix in use at http://www.thebayougardener.com/videos/stevens-tractor/S002-tiller.wmv and at EA. and just like the way it looks and operates. The person I contacted at EA said they are great tillers and are almost indestructible . He sells both brands and wouldn't say anything bad about either one.For some reason, I am drawn to the Phoenix (made in Italy). The KK (US) appears to be a good one as well but I have read somewhere that the welds are not the greatest???. I also would really like to get one when it's on sale or before they go up ,but then , wouldn't everyone. Not sure when or if that will occur this time of year. Tell me what I want to hear . :) Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you for the suggestion Archdean. I was impressed with the 3 yr gearbox warranty and the not in china make. I will begin pricing it but I may have to sit down when I hear the price butdo know you get what you pay for. I'm already stretching $ but will see just how I come out. Thank You and have a good evening. Bordercollie

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
BC, I don't have any experience with either of the brands that you mention. I've never even heard of the Simca Phoenix.

I run a smaller 52" Kuhn behind the little 24hp Kubota and it's worked flawlessly over the years. It's one of those implements that you use a lot when you first get it in order to get the garden plot in order and it does make a beautiful job. However, once you've got it in shape it only takes minutes in following years to loosen it up and work in the compost and then you're done.

It's one of those expenses that you don't mind making as it saves you so much backbreaking work but, in hindsight, it would have probably been cheaper to hire one for day, if that is an option. It wasn't for me but it may be for you.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi EastTexFrank, I am thinking that after I do the garden and some landscaping, I will use the tiller to smooth out some of the rough cow trodden areas this summer. That is just a thought, but I know that I will be using it around the place and maybe break up the elderly neighbors garden for free. I'm getting more and more gray in my head and am thinking that I should get one while I can use it and have a chance to wear it out before whoever inherits it does:) .I been conserving so I think I just may do this, I will see how things fall into place. Back when I lived in La, and was in college, I planted 50 lbs of seed potatoes among the other vegetables and used my little 8n ford to do the garden - hill and dig those potatoes.. Well I checked the moon sign book and dug them accordingly. I bet I had 5 or 600 lbs of taters. We had big pine trees and pine straw all over the ground so I middle busted them and carried them by the buckets and spread them under those trees to dry .Then I sprinkled them with lime. Later, I stored them in a shed, I sold a lot of em and we ate some potatoes for most every meal for months. I would like to break up a new spot and do that again.It was something that made me feel really good to do. Bordercollie

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Bordercollie, don't get me wrong, now that I've got it I'm not going to get rid of it any time soon. :clap:

I got it because I was getting older but really I was just tired of being beaten to death walking behind that Troybuilt. I haven't used it too much at the house the last couple of years but I till up about an acre at the farm for my M-I-L and S-I-L so they can have their garden. It does make a beautiful job.

I've got my Klondyke Golds ready to go. :clap::clap::clap:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I got a 6' KK brand offered for $1800 locally . I need to see if the Dk 40 will handle the 6' ok though. I understand that the DK40 is 34.5 hp at the pto. KK recommends 35-50 hp. I don't know if that is gross hp or not.The same size LP is much more $. I did see on the net that the gear box on the larger KK is chinese but don't know if that is true.-that was a shocker but since that are pretty much trouble free , I can handle that.. I guess. I hope to give the KK a good looking over tomorrow. Thanks, Bordercollie

shvl73

I've got a 60" Sicma sold under the First Choice brand some years ago, it's been great. They make different levels of durability, depending on use & I'm not sure where mine falls but, it's been a good one.
I've always heard good things about the KK tiller though & wouldn't be afraid to put money on one of those either. 34 pto hp should run a 6' tiller through most anything but concrete. I run my 60" with 22+ pto hp easily through heavy soil.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you for the information shvl73. I will let ya'll know what I find out on the KK. With the Sicma costing hundreds more and the KK just as or about as good , I 'll save that $ or rather not have to worry about finding it. If I wait too long to buy ,it seems the price will keep going up. I would like to have a good worry free machine that would help smooth out those cow paths this summer and some 'taters etc on the side. . Bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats BC. I think you'll be happy with the KK. I got a KK last year and although I haven't used it much, I'm happy with it. BTW, like a Howse blade, don't accidentally back into something as it will bend the tillers lower 3PH arms. Don't ask how i know (but a little heat and a BMFH put it back into shape)

Here's a pic of me breaking ground for a new driveway with it. I just laid it down on the grass/lawn and let it rip. Looking at the pic, my guess looking back is that the tiller was run over the area twice which would have ripped down to about 6".

Attachments

• CIMG8330.jpg
    CIMG8330.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 101

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Zoom. That sure looks nice. In my research, I found information that the small KK were made by Sicma and have a well made Italian gear box. That is my only reservation now - the chinese gearbox on the larger KK. Got up early to get some cows up to A.I., and fed some . Now 2 more bunches to feed and I'll be off to look at it. We are feeding them 2 x today because of the cold so the feeding will start again before too late. :) Bordercollie

rj's barn

Anybody heard anything about the Howse tillers that have the reversible top? I bought a yellow 5ft forward tine tiller that I sometimes wish was reversible to that hard to break clay I encounter in Oklahoma.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry RJ, I don't know anything about them. My dealer that sold me my tractor last yr didn't want to sell me the Howse tiller(said I wouldn't be happy) but he wanted me to go for the Howse disc... On my trip to look at the 6" KK, It was a WATER HAUL-- Got there - It wasn't there. Evidently it was a rental but they didn't tell me that when I called-then said that they couldn't order another right now because they had to order multiple attachments at a time.Found a place an hr from here will order me one for $1830. So I will keep checking around and may go get it from the guy an hr away.He seemed to know a lot as opposed to the local person (even I knew more). The search goes on........ Bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pic Brian. That sure does a dandy job. It looks like someone painted your's orange though? :confused: :yum:

Good luck with your shopping BC. One of these days / years I hope to have a tiller. 6' would be perfect....so I'm learning from your thread. :thumb:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Another iron in the fire- Archdean will be pleased. My tractor dealer offered me a LandPride RTA 1266 for $1995 with slip clutch. gotta go feed again... Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm still researching tillers but found out the 12 series Land Pride has a cat 2 slip clutch ,15 series has a cat 3 slip clutch and the KK brand I have heard has a cat 1 . Do any of you know for sure about the King Kutter's category? My next project will be to find out which category will suit me. Thanks, Bordercollie