Frozen parking brake handle

Maine

Our RTV X-1120 was outside during heavy rain several days ago. Yesterday the temperature was in the low '20s. When I went to use the RTV the button on the parking brake handle didn't want to push in to release the parking brake, but with some jiggling it finally went in. Then when I tried to set the parking brake to park the button was stuck in and the pawl wasn't making contact with the sector teeth so the parking brake would not stay set. I found a place to park where the RTV couldn't roll. This morning after sitting in the sun for several hours the parking brake was working and there was some water around the button.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Once a member had an old toro machine he owned before buying an RTV. Water would collect and freeze in or around the levers or transmission area, He had to put a heat lamp on the area to thaw it out. I think his handle was Hammerhead? Anyways sounds like you need a water displacer around that handle or cables. Maybe try fluid film or a grease to keep the water from entering the button/cable.? bordercollie

Maine

The water was inside the plastic hand grip. I'm considering drilling a small drain hole. Since it's a plastic handle I'm reluctant to use any type of hydrocarbon on it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The water was inside the plastic hand grip. I'm considering drilling a small drain hole. Since it's a plastic handle I'm reluctant to use any type of hydrocarbon on it.

Yea, some plastics don't like any type of hydrocarbons. That happened with the rubber strip on my weed wiper. It didn't like the Fluid Film .
My old model 900 handle may be different than yours - . As if feels quite solid but for the push pin. Could also maybe use an adapted plastic coke bottle or tennis ball with a push-on hole in it? Around here it would have to fit snuggly because the cats and an occasional possum get on my seat- and no telling what else. Well, good luck, bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yea, some plastics don't like any type of hydrocarbons. That happened with the rubber strip on my weed wiper. It didn't like the Fluid Film .
That's odd. As far as I know, Fluid Film doesn't contain any hydrocarbons or solvents so it shouldn't have affected your rubber strip.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I thought so too but the little (rubber ?) strip started rippling up as soon as I sprayed it- right before my eyes. This was many years ago though( maybe 5). That's the only thing that has ever been affected by it so maybe a one time thing. The main ingredient in Fluid Film was lanolin( I thought so in this edit after reading Maines post, going to see what my non aerosol says ) - it sure smells good when it gets on the engine and heats up.. collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I found my 5 gallon pail of Fluid Film so took these pictures so we'd know about the non aerosol as well.. bordercollie

Attachments

• KIMG0174 (1).jpg
    KIMG0174 (1).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 30
  • KIMG0182.jpg
    KIMG0182.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 30