Rusty MIG wire

shinnlinger

It has come up in a post or two before, but I wanted to show my latest (first) attempt at dealing whith rusty wire. I only use my MIG occasionaly now that I am focusd on my house project, but when I do need the welder it is nice when it doesn't dribble and spit due to rusty wire. My welding shop is supposedly ordering me some Mark 77 aproved Weld aid lubramatic oil, but I decided to go one step further and cut a hole in the door of my MIg with a holesaw and put a 40 watt aplliance bulb inside the small space. Next time I am near a gunshop I will pick up some desiciant to throw in there as well.

Time will tell if it is enough to make a difference.

Attachments

• welder lamp.jpg
    welder lamp.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 27

Mark777

Firm believer in over-kill.....it ALWAYS works :D !!

For me, saving a 30# roll of .023, .030, or .035 wire is way better than tossing it.

N

Nicahawk

It has come up in a post or two before, but I wanted to show my latest (first) attempt at dealing whith rusty wire. I only use my MIG occasionaly now that I am focusd on my house project, but when I do need the welder it is nice when it doesn't dribble and spit due to rusty wire. My welding shop is supposedly ordering me some Mark 77 aproved Weld aid lubramatic oil, but I decided to go one step further and cut a hole in the door of my MIg with a holesaw and put a 40 watt aplliance bulb inside the small space. Next time I am near a gunshop I will pick up some desiciant to throw in there as well.

Time will tell if it is enough to make a difference.

That light should help a lot
icon14.gif
, I'm going to do the same thing. I finally got 2 cans of the Weld-Aid-Lube-Matic that Mark777 told us about :respect: and started using that also. It makes a big difference in feeding AND cutting the rust.
icon7.gif
I've always keep my wire in an old refrigerator with a light bulb on all the time, now I'm also keeping it wrapped in plastic bags after a liberal dosing of Lube-Matic. With wire cost being what it is, none of us can afford to throw it away if it rusts.
icon13.gif

shinnlinger

Folks,

While it I may appear to be an industrous Yankee, I am really pretty lazy with things like pulling my wire off and vacum sealing it every time I use the welder for 5 minutes every 3 months (and I wouldnt want to spend 15 minutes pulling wire and setting the welder up to use it for 5 minutes every 3 months either).

I am hoping I can keep the welder ready to go with this method as I dont think the wife will let me keep the welder in the living room.

What do you folks think?

N

Nicahawk

Folks,

While it I may appear to be an industrous Yankee, I am really pretty lazy with things like pulling my wire off and vacum sealing it every time I use the welder for 5 minutes every 3 months (and I wouldnt want to spend 15 minutes pulling wire and setting the welder up to use it for 5 minutes every 3 months either).

I am hoping I can keep the welder ready to go with this method as I dont think the wife will let me keep the welder in the living room.

What do you folks think?
I never pull my wire off the welder, that's why I like the light bulb idea. Can't hurt and may just be the ticket! Don't forget the Lube-Matic.

Mark777

As skeptical as I am about most products that “Claim” the miracle fix…and the additional claims on the little can of Lube-Matic, ALL I wanted was something to prevent the new wire from rusting, and it does.

I don’t believe there’s any product available that will reverse the oxidation process and still keep rust off of your rollers, out of your liner, prevent poor welding performance or basically arrest rust problems during the welders normal operation….So, in my recycle bin it goes - or, used to.

Your combination of desiccant dryer, radiant heat from a light source and the oil treatment is far better than the alternative problems without using anything (IMHO).