Widening rims

Mark777

Mith,

Have you tried a ratchet strap around the center circumference of the tire? With no air, and the tire mounted on the rim, the strap will compress the tire center and force the beads outward when air is applied.

B

bczoom

I'm with Mark. The ratchet strap normally works. If that fails, I do switch to ether.

How big is you air compressor? A key to getting it to seat is a high volume of air.

Got a tire shop nearby? If all else fails, I'll bet they can get it on.

Mith

The tyre is pumped up, its just that the bead isn't completely seated if you know what I mean. I've had it up to 40psi and it still didn't 'pop' into place.
At the moment I'm just driving around hoping that it will go 'pop' and seat properly some time.

Mith

Finally managed to get it to seat properly. Pumped it up to a silly pressure and rolled it down some step, near the bottom of the steps, POP, and she's seated :D
Need to fill them some time now.

jwstewar

Staff member
Pretty cool Jim. I've been watching this thread to see how it turned out. It doesn't look one of those clown cars with the crazy wheel when you drive does it?:waiting: :whistle: :yankchain: :poke: :hide2: :yum:

Mith

Thanks guys.

Jim, I cant see them when I drive, but there is about 1/4" gap between the fender and the tyre, and that doesn't change as the wheel goes round, so I guess the are straight (enough) :D

N

Nicahawk

This is a late follow up on this thread, but I have to say to Mith....GREAT JOB! I'm impressed with your abilities and knowledge.

Nic

Archdean

Mith, first time I have seen your thread and as usual nice work, the same as I have been accustomed to seeing in your projects but I do have two comments:
  1. Why? Haven't you just reduced your ground pressure to near zero and negated any traction you would of had?
  2. The ether in the tires for inflation trick is not to be feared (much safer then rolling down a set of stairs) providing you then deflate (expel the ether vapor) and refill with just plain compressed air.

Mith

Dean, thanks,

I dont really understand your first question. If you are asking the question I think you are, then my answer is that they are each filled with 70lbs of water, and with the added rear weight of the backhoe the ground pressure is very much higher than 0 psi.
They are only 12" wide each, with the duals I used before I had 16" of ground contact on either side.

I didn't fancy the idea of the ether in case I put too much in, and caused it to blow up too much, therefore damaging my rim, or the very expensive tyres!

Cheers

Archdean

Being new to your overall project you are correct in saying that you are now getting more ground pressure! Sorry, but it is just such a big misconception among most people that the bigger "Tyres" will exert more pressure (read traction) when exactly the opposite is true unless you are just trying to increase flotation!

xPosTech

Oh sometimes he wants flotation, too...

27-11-06_1535.jpg

Ya can't ever tell when he might decide to go muddin'.:yankchain: :whistle: :yum: :yum: :yum:

Ted

Mith

Dean, wider tyres will grip more on hard surfaces, more surface area... They are the best gripping tyres I have had so far, they really bite in.

As Ted proved, flotation at my place is welcome too! :D

shinnlinger

Xpos,

What is that on the front of your tractor? A spare rim? A homemade winch?

Mith,

I like your williness to make your own stuff!

Dean,

You bring up a good point My 40,000 lb excavator does not compact as well as my 10,000 dump truck(empty) due to the fact the excavator has 30 inch wide tracks designed for weight dispersion. KInd of freaky when you run the excavator over fresh loam and it barely leaves a track, but my loaded tire tractor ruts it right up!

Now before you try this at home, small rubber tracked excavators have big sawteeth knobs that effectivly double their weight and make them rather good compactors. A buddy of mine used a small excavator to compact roadbeds in Florida and the state inspector was wondering how in the heck he got the gravel so dense. My buddy just smiled and said "Thats just how we do it up North", but the secret was the narrow tracket excavator with the sawtooth tracks.

xPosTech

Shinnlinger that ain't my tractor! That's a Throwdown tractor! :brows: :yum: :yum: :brows:

Heh...that's Mith's Wheel Horse. He'll probably jump in and let us know why that rim is unshod. Funny place for a spare.:) He originally posted that in a thread labeled "No more tracks".

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332

My cousin's grandaddy used to have a dairy out in Beauart Gardens. He had one of those old hit and miss tractors. It was so hard to get started that whenever he got stuck in this East Texas gumbo (mud) he'd leave it running until the mudhole dried up enough to drive out. It appears Mith at least turns his off while he's waiting.:waiting: :yankchain: :yum:

Ted

Last edited:

Mith

Shinn, that is indeed my tractor in the picture, and it is a homemade winch on the front. There is another drum (rim) on the other side, wrap a rope around them and engage the PTO on the side of the engine and it pulls.

xPosTech

My cousin's grandaddy used to have a dairy out in Beauart Gardens. He had one of those old hit and miss tractors. It was so hard to get started that whenever he got stuck in this East Texas gumbo (mud) he'd leave it running until the mudhole dried up enough to drive out.
Ted

Thought I'd let you know why that hit and miss was so hard to start. The easiest way was to jack up one rear wheel (lugged iron) and then rotate the wheel until it fired. Wasn't easy to do in the mud.:yuk:

Wish I had that tractor. It disappeared about the time they drilled for gas. Heh...wish I had those gas wells.;) The gas company shut'em down for a couple of months right before and after hurricane Rita and all my cousins did was complain.:waiting: :wtf:

Ted

GreenMtns

Finally managed to get it to seat properly. Pumped it up to a silly pressure and rolled it down some step, near the bottom of the steps, POP, and she's seated :D
Need to fill them some time now.

Mith
Copy write that. :thumb: I don't think many tire shops know about seating a bead that way yet. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: