Pressure release

Smitty

Every time I remove my grapple, its a grizzle bear to plug in the Quik connects when I reinstall it, am I doing something wrong or is there a trick to it. I changed to the bigger skidsteer connectors because I was told they are easier and hold up better. I hate to take the damn thing off now. Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mith

If you turn the engine off and wiggle the control lever you will relieve the pressure in the lines, you might find it easier then.

Welcome to the site!

Smitty

I've tried that Too Jim, this doggone thing is driving me crazy.I just came in from another 10 minute wrasslin match with it and I'm ready to get a hammer. Theres got to be something I'm doing wrong but its just not that complex a piece of equiptment.The little o-ring inside the male connect was sticking out but it wouldnt go even after I pushed that back in.Thanks for the response though.
Smitty

Mith

You are turning off the engine are relieving the pressure before you remove the grapple?

Another thing you can do is get a flat ended punch and push in the little nipples in the quick attach connectors, you'll find it pushes a little fluid out and relieves the pressure.
The male ones you can push the little nipples down against any flat surface.

Is the locking collar free moving on the female QC when the connectors are apart?

BTW, maybe you could post a picture (or a link to the connectors that you used) just so I can make sure I'm thinking of the same connectors as you have.....
Are they like these?
QRC_01.jpg

Smitty

Jim I shut it down then wiggle the handle to relieve the pressure, sorry for the quality of the cell phone pics.

Attachments

• IMG00017.jpg
    IMG00017.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 19

Smitty

I also pushed in on the connects to relieve the pressure, and its still virtually impossible to connect,I'm ready to take them off and put the older regular quik connects that leaked all the time but at least I could get them to connect.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wish I had an idea for you. I thought relieving the pressure would make it an easy hookup. :bonk:

Mith

Ahh, you have the flat face connectors by the looks of things then?
QRC_02.jpg

I'm afraid I don't know much about those, but they are 'supposed' to be easier to connect than the other type. I suppose its possible that yours are defective, but it would seem unlikely that both of them would be defective.
Hopefully there is someone else here who knows more about them.

urednecku

I had trouble with my grapple a time or 2. But releasing like stated above worked those times, but mad a mess. I've never seen the flat fittings tho. Wish I had an answer for ya!!

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Smitty, when you say that you're taking off the grapple, do you mean that you are just taking the grapple off the FEL or taking the whole FEL off? The reason that I ask is because when I got my GL4740, the first 2 times I took the grapple off I had sheer hell connecting it back up again. Now, I'm used to taking the whole FEL off the B2400 and the M5700 at the farm so I'm familiar with shutting off the engine and relieving the pressure in the lines by wiggling the joystick. That's a mistake you only make once. It was only during my second hand-to-hand combat session with the grapple that I realized that the two lines I was having trouble with weren't controlled through the FEL joystick. The grapple open and close functions were controlled by a separate lever on the right fender. Once I had relieved the pressure on that line they connected back up easily.

Now, I don't mean to imply that you are as big an idiot as I was, but does your grapple have a separate control lever too? Once the pressure is off the lines they should connect back up without a problem.

If you figure it out, let us know because it might be a problem that I have waiting to be "discovered" and it sure would save me a lot of time and frustration, not to mention busted knuckles, if you solve it for me first.

urednecku

:pat: ETF, you're right. I forgot about the separate control for the grapple itself. Mine on the Kubota is electric, with 2 buttons in the "trigger" position on the joy-stick. I have to shut down the engine, turn the ignition switch back on, turn the grapple switch on, then hit both the up and down button a few times.
That's what happened to me the first time. Don't know WHY I forgot about that last night.

Smitty

Frank, I have to change between the grapple and the bucket pretty often, so i 'm just dropping the bucket and grabbing the grapple.The way Kubota set up the remotes was to add a small pump and a switch was added to the joystick to control the grapple.I think it may be as simple as a bad connector (I hope) one of the Q-connects is workable and the other is as you put it hand to hand combat, but to answer your question I leave the loader on and just change out the implements.I'm with you 100 percent though, if someone knows the fix it won't bother me a bit to admit to being a dumbass if I can quit fighting with this hydraulic nightmare.I want to think that I'll slap my forehead and say why did'nt I see that.Untill then I'll continue to do my wrist and hand workout for future battles.

Smitty

When you say turn on the grapple switch, does it not come on when you turn the key on, because mine is setup the same way with the electric toggle switch in the handle.How many posts before I can become a "Senior" member?

Mith

one of the Q-connects is workable and the other is as you put it hand to hand combat

So one works fine, and the other is a pain?

Swap the 2 over, if the same one is still a pain then you have a bad QC. If the problem stays with the line (swaps QCs) then its a pressure release problem.
Seeming as you are relieving the pressure I cant see how it would be a pressure release problem, hence why I am thinking it might be a bad QC.

How many posts before I can become a "Senior" member?
I think its 100 or so