Thanks To all for help/Replaced the 8n

vintovka1

Thanks to Doc and all who helped me past the log on problems! - Preciate it!

After rebounding from another in a series of near death accidents on the old 8n I made a split-second decision to spend 17K on a tractor last week and Think I may have done ok! What do you think?

2005 B7800, 402 FEL, Woods 60" hydraulic bucket, Woods 7500 Backhoe w/12" bucket, Posthole digger w/3 augers, BB60 mower, Extra rear Hydraulics, Add on forks, brand new hardtop canopy and a lot more. Has 76 hours on it and been in barn for 2 years.

Washed off dust and looks like new. Tried to upload pics but too big.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, sounds great!!!!! I think you did good.
Email me the pic and I'll resize it or download irfanview or ezthumbnails and it will allow you to resize it. 700x 700 is a good size for forums.

email it to me at:
doc
@
nettractortalk.com

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wow! Even a backhoe! I want to see pictures!

I'm curious too about the deadly 8N. What happened? From time to time I see 8N's that are nearly too cheap to pass up. But obviously there's something I'm not aware of about them. What am I missing here?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm assuming it's the single stage clutch. My old 8N tried to send me over the hill more than once. Sure raised the ole pucker factor. :yum:

vintovka1

Single stage? As in stuck or unstuck?

Anyway I live on some land where 30% is considered "gentle slope". Been real careful with the old 48 -8n and it still tries to kill me when I'm working on a real flat area. Rebuilt it from scratch, runs fine, I don't (same age as tractor) Kicker is no brakes (again) due to hub leakage.

Was coming up a graded road with a steep drop off on one side. I stalled engine, rolled backwards, dropped full bucket, dropped scraper, still rolling - no brakes, cut it hard into the hillside and finally stopped. Had so many Near deaths I have commercials while my life flashing by.

Will try to email Doc some pics.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhh, I forgot about the lack of brakes on mine also. :yum:

The single stage clutch issue was when you want to stop and push in the clutch somehow the brush hog's motion from still turning (even while slowing down) was enough to force the tractor forward more than you ever wanted. I went through one fence and about when over the hill a couple other times. I have lots of really steep hills. It was a bit scary. Cool tractor but by todays standards it was lacking.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dang!!!!! :hide:

I drive a 30 year old tractor but I've never had anything but docile predictable behavior. The brakes are dry, there's an overrun clutch built into the PTO so it cant push, it never stalls, diesel torque like a rototiller (literally), in summary it works like new with no drama.

I was thinking of a finding cheap and slightly larger tractor, mostly for discing and larger-scale loader work, but I guess an 8N isn't the one!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
8N's are from the late 40's / early 50's ...so most of them are 70 years old. Over twice as old as what you are used to dealing with. A lot of technology went into them in that time frame. They can be great tractors, and I hated to sell mine but I needed the cash to buy my Kubota. The 8N's were not built with safety in mind. That came later.

Last edited:

vintovka1

Dang!!!!! :hide:

I drive a 30 year old tractor but I've never had anything but docile predictable behavior. The brakes are dry, there's an overrun clutch built into the PTO so it cant push, it never stalls, diesel torque like a rototiller (literally), in summary it works like new with no drama.

I was thinking of a finding cheap and slightly larger tractor, mostly for discing and larger-scale loader work, but I guess an 8N isn't the one!

A lot happened in the additional 30 years since! Simply adding power steering increases operator safety signifcantly. 2 wd drive "N" series tractors were designed for flatlands. They did their jobs and fed this and many other nations. If I had the room I'd repaint her and save for Parades

Attachments

• 021008 020.jpg
    021008 020.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can see why you need something to clear snow. Is that a recent picture?

I wish I had power steering. My Yanmar is in between 'old-school' and the modern era. There are times when I'm tempted to buy something modern.

Your 8N looks clean. Well maintained ones like that will probably still be in use for another several generations.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is one of the best looking 'decked out' 8N's I've seen (even with the snow). :thumb: :tiphat:

I agree with CA, that it will be in use for generations to come. :applause: :applause:

vintovka1

I can see why you need something to clear snow. Is that a recent picture?

I wish I had power steering. My Yanmar is in between 'old-school' and the modern era. There are times when I'm tempted to buy something modern.

Your 8N looks clean. Well maintained ones like that will probably still be in use for another several generations.

Thanks for complements but shes faded badly in sun. I'm over near placerville ca @ 1500 feet and we got nearly a foot of snow in a freak storm that nearly paralysed us. Snow broke at least 50 of my oak trees. The sound was like small mortar rounds. 8ns are hard to steer even with an empty bucket with only one good arm. I tried a knob spinner on it and promptly rammed my knuckles into the loader frame on first use.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sounds like it's time to move up.

My home is 30-40 miles west of you, and my orchard another 100 miles west of that. (Sonoma Co.)