DX35 HST Cold weather

Danocheese

Anyone know how the Hydraulics work in cold weather? Warm tractor up it will move fwd/back Loader will not move nor will 3 pt lift or Aux Hyd. Throw the torpedo to her and let her warm more and jsut liek a valve opens. I know I should probably lookat changing the fluid to soemthing more winter friendly. Is there a valve that limits flow to the outlets that is temp sensitive?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Dano,
I don't know about the valves being temp sensitive, if so I've never heard of it. I've only seen year round fluid spoke of for the hydro system. Might try synthetic if you aren't already using that. If the fluid is a whole lot thicker because of the cold maybe it simply can't pass through the valve to move an implement until it has warmed up some. Cold weather sure brings out some weird or different types of problems that we never see in summer time weather.

jwstewar

Staff member
I've just got a little NH TC-24D, I've had it out in 0 weather before and never experienced anything like that. Everything moves slow, but does move. I will also get a bit of a whine if I pull the 3 pt. all the way to the top. Back it off just a bit, and the whine goes away. Do you use the New Holland/Case Ambra fluid? That is what I use, costs more than some of the generics, but I think it is worth it to make sure I meet manufacturer specs. I've actually had a few different NH mechanics tell me they've seen problems with some of the after market fluid. Something about it foaming or something. Don't remember the specififics, but all of them said the same thing w/o prompting from me. One of them being my wife's Uncle. He has been a NH mechanic for 25+ years. That was enough to convince me.

Danocheese

Well it was -15. I need to stop by the dealer today for a few parts so I will ask the mechanic. I do you Hy-tran. I know there is a cold weather filter for these. Maybe the filter casues a restriction. You would think the tractor would not move if it was the filter. .

The winter is shaping around here I better go into survival mode.

I will let you knwo what I find.

Only three foot drifts this AM we busted our way out. Kids loved dad playing crazy guy in the truck. :letitsnow:

jbrumberg

Danocheese:

Hydraulics do take some time to warm up when it is -15. There is a "drop rate control valve" under your seat that might help with the 3PH. If everything works the opposite from what you described it is a frozen seat safety switch. One does not have to ask why I know this :rolleyes:. Jay :letitsnow:

Danocheese

Well I found a video on Messicks site baout a method to warm up the Hydro fluid. Leave the tractor in neutral and excersise the fwd/rev pedals. Seems to work. Of course -21 was not fun to start with had to put the torpedo on the trator for about a half hour so it would start. But the drifts are gone.

PBinWA

Hi Dano,

You may want to try some PowerService Diesel additive (White Bottle) I found it helped me start up better in the really cold weather. I usually cycle my glow plugs three times before turning over the engine.

It is a good idea to get your hydraulic fluid moving once the tractor warms up. If stuff can move then move it around so they flush out the cold stuff and circulate the warm stuff.

Once it's under 0 it's not so much fun anymore.

Erik

Where do you find the power service additive?
I've been looking here and there in my area but haven't seen it yet.
thanks

Erik

cool.
thanks, Jim!
I have to go into town for furnace filters today, so will stop and check them out as well.

Danocheese

I have been using PS for a few months now. IT was jsut plain cold the other day. Fuel did not gell. Now today it +27 +4 wind chill. I got to go blow the same snow all over agian. 30 mile an hour winds. It only took afew minutes t warm up and get moving. I take it easy and don't ge tin a hurry but when it is -25 and after 30 minutes and you can't get the laoder to lift so you can pull out of the ple barn it gets a little frustrating. I still ahve not made it over tot he dealer they are a great dealer so I'm sure someone else ahs already run the question by them.

Also we can get rid of this little sign below anytime now

:letitsnow:

Danocheese

Here is an uodate to a year old thread. I really beleive I had some water in the Hyd fluid. It would freeze and partialy block the flow. I changed the fluid this last summer and the filter.

let it warm up for about 15 minutes and she works well. THe loader is sluggish as to be exspected. THis was in -19 temps. We have had a bunch of snow, over 40 inchs and she has received a work out blowing the lane. Did I mention I wish for a cab this time of year.

Forecast has blizzard warnings for tommorow. I hope I did'nt jinx myself

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad you got the problem under control but man what horrible temps to have to deal with. Tell Santa you want a cab for Christmas next year.
Where bouts are you? Montana or ND? :confused:

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
I just caught this thread . I had the same thing happen with My Iseki about 6 years ago or so . The tractor had been sitting out in an open leanto through below 0 temps & really high winds for several days . It started up fairlly easy but The Hydraulics were whining rather loud & wern,t very responsive .

I Finally got the loader to raise & couldn,t stop it , Needless to say it lifted the roof right up untill it wouldn,t go any higher & it wouldn,t come back down . :hide: The tractor sat that way till the next warm day & has worked fine ever since . Thats the only time it has ever done it & now sits in a nice warm garage during winter months . :whistle:

I tore down the rest of the shed down this spring , I think theres a thread under Projects , Wasn,t one of my proudest moments . :pat: . I had allmost forgot about it till I read this thread . :sorry: . Glad You got yours worked out . Bob

Danocheese

Doc I live in Southwest Minnesota. We are experincing a real winter. 4th of January it was -32 at 5am. Today it is actaully warm out +8 The problem is we are ina blizzard warning. 2 inchs of snow already. Nice and fluffy winds are supposed to pick up tonight to 30 miles an hour.

Actualy I jsutify not having a cab as I can snowmobile in it I should be abel to blow snow in it. I'm starting to not beleive my own BS.

The big problem with this strom will be that the ditchs are full of snow and nothing to stop the drifting. They already closed interstae 90 west of us.

THe grocery stores are already apce dwith peopel getting bread and milk ready to hunker down. I work in Telecommunciations so we need to be abel to respond so we are getting ready. I ahve one tech that does'nt mind sleeping at the office. I may be here with him if I can get the family home and tucked in. :pat::pat::pat:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Man oh man, we are having a real winter for a change. We've had white stuff on the ground longer than I can remember in recent years.
Good luck with the blizzard heading your way. Does not sound like any fun at all. Drifting can be a major problem with ditches already filled with snow.