Oil Cooler being added to RTV

rjglenn

Can you post more pics of the weed wiper? That looks like something I could use on the weeds in my perennial peanuts and bahai grass fields for briars, broom sage, and soda apples. I'm guessing you use a fraction of the herbicide a boom sprayer uses? I know the herbicide for soda apples is $100/qt. with an application rate of 8 oz to the acre. Problem is that the soda apples have to be spot sprayed cause they grow in bunches so we just do our best. Something like this you could just do a drive by...

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sure RJGlenn, What kind of pictures or information would you like ? The wiper is covered with feed dust right now and is a sight.. I used Roundup in mine . I guess the ratio would depend on how much of a bugger the weed is. We have something here we call star burr. It may be like your soda apple. It had burrs- sorta lie a cockle burr and they are a lime green color . We only have a few pop up thanks to picking them whenever we see them and burning them. I think they came in with some cotton seed.... Dalis grass and Johnson grass is easywith the weed wiper. the smut grass though ... real discouraging... I have found that the real 41 % Round up is stronger than generic 41% ... it has to do with the lbs of chemical in a gallon.. collie

rjglenn

Here's a link from the extension service about it:

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/426

It is a large woody stemmed plant with long thorns even on the roots. The thorns will penetrate even good leather gloves. It bares a golf ball sized water mellon colored fruit that contains hundreds of seeds. The seeds are the same size and weight as Pensacola Bahai grass. Cows will eat the fruit spreading the seeds and there is also the risk of them choking on it. Roundup/Glystar are ineffective, it responds well to Pasteron and Milestone, Remedy will slow it too.

Left unchecked they will grow into an impenetrable thicket. Eradication is impossible due to fresh seeds being carried by deer.

I would like to try and build a weed wiper like you have to see if it would save time and product controlling this pest.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That sure sounds like nasty stuff. Good luck with making a weed wiper like BC's. :thumb:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'll bump the weed wiper thread and put information and more pictures there as I collect it so it will be easier to find in the future. :) collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
There is also a knock off brand called grassworks they are out of Arkansas. They all think a lot of their stuff and they are all overpriced. You might can find a used one in the farm bulletin if you state has one though. . They are a real pain to manually adjust the height on pastures since it varies so much- bad grass good grass.. That is why I went with adding the cylinders. I would try one of the homemade wick types if your land is somewhat flat or else make one with the bicycle type wheels. collie
I bought this one at a trade show and it was discounted so they didn't have to haul it home..

rjglenn

Timing is everything. Did the same thing for a Vermeer hay rake. Didn't have to pay freight and didn't have to pay shop assembly fees.

banjo

bordercollie, I just read how you put the aux cooler on your unit. I picked up part of the componets of a log spliter today, it is supposed to go behind a tractor but I am thinking about putting it on a set of wheels and power it with the hydraulics of the kubota. I got it for $40.00 and its never been used. The only problem I see is that the cylinder will hold a gallon and a half of fluid and that will not leave much in the tank of the machine. I think the hyd. tank only hold 9 quarts. About how much fluid did your weed wiper cylinders hold.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Banjo. My cylinders are really small (2) I think they hold maybe a pint each plus the extra length hoses. And I didn't work them up and down much neither. I'd adjust when the grass changed - maybe 20 or 30 times an afternoon. Maybe someone who has tried using a log splitter on it will chime in. I think though , a splitter might overwhelm it. collie

banjo

Thanks for the reply. I have just about made my mind up to put it on an axle and make it self contained. It was made to go on a 3 point hitch of a tractor, but those parts were not there. I don't take my tractor into the woods to get fire wood so I want to be able to bust it right there BEFORE I load it or bring the whole log back to the house and work it up. Either way I think self contained is the way to go with this build. Thanks again. Banjo