Hand Throttle

DEK

I think the link for the price list and part numbers in my last post works if you want to check it out.

tfdr1

I've seen that, but hand throttle is listed twice with two different part numbers. Does all the X series have D902 engines because that's about the only thing I could see that one description had that the other didn't?

Dave

DEK

I paged back in the price list and when the X900 is first listed it shows the D902 engine listed in all three versions (General, Worksite, and Camo).

I'm thinking the only way to determine the difference, if there is one, between the two kits is to have them or their installation instructions in front of a person.

Last edited:

tfdr1

I feel the same way at this point. I will say that whichever one is cheaper is the one I'm ordering at this point.

Dave

Lee1935

I installed the factory hand throttle on my 2016 X900, the results are not quite what I expected
In high range going about 7mph I pulled the hand throttle out, the machine downshifted to low range.

I'm a little dense at time but I was expecting the engine speed to increase without the transmission hunting for a higher gear ratio.

Is the downshift normal or did I screw up installing it?

Lee1935

I installed the factory hand throttle on my 2016 X900, the results are not quite what I expected
In high range going about 7mph I pulled the hand throttle out, the machine downshifted to low range.

I'm a little dense at time but I was expecting the engine speed to increase without the transmission hunting for a higher gear ratio.

Is the downshift normal or did I screw up installing it? ☺☺

ovrszd

Wow, are you sure that's what happened?? I can't think of any way to hook up the hand throttle cable to cause that to happen.

What should happen is the engine speed increases with little change in anything else.

For example, sitting still, machine in whatever gear speed you choose, no foot pressure on the go pedal, pull the hand throttle, all that should happen is the engine rpm increases, machine still sits there. To get movement you have to push the go pedal.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

That is not normal. If you pull the hand throttle and the engine speed does not increase (as you expected), then something is definitely wrong.
No way it should downshift when you pull the hand throttle lever.

Lee1935

My dealer contacted Kobota that say it should not happen, I take it in for the 50 hour checkup in about a week. Going by the serial number it seems that some X900's left the factory with transmission pressure adjustments that were way off. A factory rep has talked with my dealers head wrench turner on how to set the adjustments. If this has anything to do with the down shifting I have no idea

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
That sounds plausible I guess... does the shifter on the dash actually move? No offense but honestly when you said it was shifting on its own I thought you were loosing it! :dancing:

Lee1935

Nope, the shifter stays in high range. As soon as you push down on the throttle with your foot off the fuel pedal the transmission shifts back to high. I never did keep my foot on the pedal while pushing the throttle down. Will give that a try Sunday

The ability to downshift while moving would have its advantages. which is why I asked if this was normal. my property in BC Canada has a long fairly steep private road that I pushed through a few years ago the ability to shift into low range would be a plus. maybe I should tell my dealer to leave it alone ☺

ovrszd

Not having ran a new RTV I can't speak for them. Ony RTV gear speed selection is a mechanical function that cannot be changed while machine is in motion.

If your machine is similar, then what you are feeling isn't a gear change. Might be an adjustment problem with the trans pressure valves that imitates a gear change.

Interested to hear the outcome.

Lee1935

I've only tried this at about 7-8 mph on the level, the engine revs up and the speed drops to about 3 mph. It sounds and feels like a gear change ☺ I'm heading north in the morning for maybe a week will give it a good workout on my road.

From the knowledge I've gathered on this forum, it could be something as simple as a piece of metal that the filter didn't catch

The factory rep said that some pressure valve in the transmission has to be set at 78 pounds and that some were shipped with the pressure way off, plus their is some sort of recall for something to do with the transmission. My dealer says I'm welcome to stand right behind their mechanic and watch him through the whole procedure including the 50 hour service, so I will know a lot more than I do now. What I find out I will post back here.

Lee1935

My face is red ☺ spent two hours today trying to duplicate the downshift. I have a small trip planned for tomorrow, will try once more. The only other new odd thing is it now takes a lot of rpm to start moving. I suspect the 50 hour checkup will cure any small problems.

Lee1935

I'm in Canada right now, about six hours drive from the dealer. When I get back I will take it in. This is a new dealer that sells farm machinery of many brands. The UTVs are something new for them. Last week the only one they had was a new 500 from last year