YM240 will not go into reverse gear

rdbenson

I have a Yanmar YM240 early 1980's I think.

It was always difficult to get the tractor to go in reverse gear and sometimes it took considerable force. Over time it worsened and now impossible to engage the gear lever into reverse.

Known:
  • All forward gears (in both low and high range) function properly and easy to engage
  • I removed the gear shift lever retainer and replaced the roll pin that holds the gear shift lever stationary to the plastic pivot ball
  • I examined the metal plate that the end of the gear shift lever goes through (or rest on) and while scarred up it seems to be in the same constructed shape as when new. The spring is ok also.

Anyone have any idea what I need to fix to remedy the situation or could it be a number of things? Thanks.

Danny

rdbenson

Winston: Yeah I have removed the shifting lever and everything else down to #11, the shift lever guide. Matt at Hoye Tractor also asked if I could see the shifter but he also mentioned "meshing gears". Which number on that diagram are the meshing gears? Also regarding the shifters/meshing gears am I just looking for damage to these parts?

winston

The shifting fork #15 will be over your sliding reverse gear. It could be bent or something. The sliding gear will mesh with another gear. If you can see those two gears with the shift assembly out inspect them closely. The sliding gear will be on a splined shaft. Need to make sure it moves freely on the splines. Seems to me you should be able to see something amiss in there. That is if you can see in there. The meshing gears are not shown on that drawing. You are looking for anything that will not allow that sliding reverse gear to slide and mesh with the stationary gears. Not mush info I know.

I know this is an older post, but just in case you haven't figured it out yet, I thought I'd share some of my experiences.

It's possible that you've broken the reverse shifter fork. I had similar symptoms with a YM240D. Forward gears would work, but the reverse gear wouldn't engage, and sometimes the tractor would seem to be locked up.

Pulling the larger assembly below the shift lever mount (Part 16 here.) will allow you to pull the shift forks on their rods. You can check for bent or broken components.

I have had trouble getting that part off sometimes, but others it has come off very easily. Pull the 4 bolts, though, and the plate is free, so you can get it off, it just may take some determined effort. Good luck.

rdbenson

Solved: YM240 will not go into reverse gear

Ok this is just too funny. Firstly, thank you all for your responses.

My entire problem was :cuss: that I had forgotten where reverse gear was! I bought a car about a year ago with a five speed manual transmission with the reverse gear over to the right and then up or down from there (I can't recall at the moment). I had memorized this in my head and somehow applied the same to the tractor when I would attempt to select reverse gear. Whether the automobile was up or down after going to the right, it was opposite of the tractor. So recently I was on the tractor and (accidentally, but correctly) selected reverse gear and it slid in smoother than a hot knife in butter! :pat:

I had to laugh out loud at myself but was to say the least extremely happy that I didn't have yet another tractor repair on my hands! :thankyou2:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm glad to hear the solution was so simple!

When I bought my YM240, I went over the gear numbers cast into the top of the transmission with white paint to remind me which is which. The two choices in the left side of the gate are opposite to a 4 speed automotive transmission.

rdbenson

I'm glad to hear the solution was so simple!

When I bought my YM240, I went over the gear numbers cast into the top of the transmission with white paint to remind me which is which. The two choices in the left side of the gate are opposite to a 4 speed automotive transmission.

Excellent idea! I think I will mark mine with paint as well.