Bought a WSM online...

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
OK, just thought I'd run this by the group:

I went to ebarf and found a WSM for my RTV-X900 for sale at $15. The description specified "Condition: Brand New: A new, unread, unused book in perfect condition with no missing or damaged pages."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-RTV...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649

I ordered and paid via PayPal. It arrived. It's not a book. It's a pirated CD. AND it's not even for a X900... it's coverpage says X900 but each and every page is actually for the older 900.

I made a "return request" via ebay protocol describing the problem and the seller immediately issued a refund, not requiring return.

I go back to ebarf looking for the genuine article again and found:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-RTV...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The description stated: "Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, …"

I realized it was being offered cheap, but lots of stuff on ebarf is... after all , it IS an AUCTION SITE! And the picture in the AD is of a BOOK, an actual Kubota WSM Manual!

When it arrived it was also a Pirated CD. I requested another return and got the following from the seller:
"The Kubota is the exact manual as the picture. The picture denotes the paper copy while the CD contains the FULL mechanical copy. You're so called "pirated" copy is the full manual in CD form saving you about $55.00 for a lousy $9.95 for the sole purpose of attracting business sales. The description of the add is very clear as to the contents of the manual, such as MANUAL ON CD!!!!. IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT YOU DON'T READ THE ADD!!!I I will gladly accept you're manual provided it's returned in perfect working condition and that the security file has NOT been accessed indicating that the CD has been uploaded onto your computer which will constitute a gross misdemeanor. I will return the full cost of the manual, less the cost of the postage. If you comply with the abovementioned stipulations, I will be more than glad to return the CD less postage. Good Luck! Andrew Lopatowski Jr. Esq. Attorney At Law P69234 "

I suppose he thinks his lawyerly signature is supposed to frighten me. I don't know how Kubota will feel when they receive the pirated CD of their Copyrighted WSM.

I have no idea what a "gross misdemeanor" is. I especially don't know why it would be any kind of misdemeanor to examine it since I had actually paid for it. I hope it's not a capital offense.

I'll have to ask my NYC Prosecutor daughter.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
There is this thing called a copyright...…...lol....love folks who try to get around it and find out exactly what it protects them from...…….Good luck…..Dennis

BY THE WAY....Am really proud of this site for NOT promoting or having anything to do with these kinds of "deals"...……….

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The real manuals are over an inch thick- maybe close to 1 1/2" . I gave the guy that bought my RTv both the parts book and the Work Shop Manual along with the owners manual. Both of the over the counter books are heavy & thick. I bought mine from Messicks years ago - I think they were less than $200 for both. The pirates won't copy one of those because it's just too expensive. You won't find one of them new thats cheap.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I bought several WSM from ebay. all were original paper copies in binders. some even have greasy fingerprints. i usually go to the feedback page and read what others say. sometimes you can find details there that aren't on the advertisement.