Rtv900 will not move forward or back

Hockey79

It can be shifted to all gears. When attempting to accelerate in all gears a grinding noise is heard and the machine dies. Could this be bent or broken shifter fork?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
grinding is not good. and it killing the engine is even worse. it is possible to be stuck in two gears at the same time and if it grinds that means something is broke. there is a splind coupling on the input shaft that could be stripped also. either way means a complete tear down. are you handy with a wrench???

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It can be shifted to all gears. When attempting to accelerate in all gears a grinding noise is heard and the machine dies. Could this be bent or broken shifter fork?

What model 900 is this you have? Has the transmission fluid been changed recently ? In some year models, the refill port is poorly described and some folks have filled the wrong port. This leaves the transmission dry. Check your transmission fluid level at the dipstick before driving. I'm concerned that this could be such a case and that damage is /has been done . bordercollie

Hockey79

grinding is not good. and it killing the engine is even worse. it is possible to be stuck in two gears at the same time and if it grinds that means something is broke. there is a splind coupling on the input shaft that could be stripped also. either way means a complete tear down. are you handy with a wrench???

I am handy. But I think the tranny is smoked. Drained the oil and lots of metal shavings. Put new oil in and changed the filters. Same issue. It is on the trailer to the shop.

Any suggestions?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
were there shavings in the filters? or just the gearcase oil. i am not sure on the 900 but on mine they have different reservoir