RTV900 FUEL FILTER

Donaldkubota

I have a 2011 900XT.
There is no reference in the owners's manual on changing the fuel filter.
I have read some posts that just clamp off the lines and change the filter.
Doesn't a diesel fuel system need to be air bled? How do you do it on the 900?
Thanks in advance.

Mark.Sibole

Ive never had to bleed mine .I change filters 2 times a year .Its just a PITA as its in a poopy place.Just change it and you should be all set.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Manual says look for water or dirt and then replace.

So much depends on how clean your fuel is, water content and just plain dirt.

For the cost, replace when in doubt.

Attachments

• Fuel Filter.jpg
    Fuel Filter.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 533

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Don't know if they moved it on the new ones but the older ones like mine are in a bad location to service. Not one of Kubota's better engineering moves. I have never had to bleed mine.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm had the same experience as Mark. It is in a bad place alright. It is a little easier to maneuver , if you take off the little side panel. I put on the filter end closest to the tank first, hold it down to let it fill with fuel and then hook to the other. Never had a problem. bordercollie

Mark.Sibole

Yes Like Bordercollie stated always put the tank side on first.The fuel will flow enough into the filter before you can hook up the other side.Dont read into a job things that dont exist.If in dout ask here.MOst know ll there is to know about the RTV for to fix it and mess it up by now lol

Popo1945

I added a spin-on fuel filter (for marine use) that removes water. I'll get the info & some pics & post it.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For me, after I remove the panel where the air filter USED to be, high lift airfilter installed, I use 2 small pairs of vise grips to clamp on the fuel line on both sides of the filter. These are handy for holding the fuel and air back; but also help to handle/pull on those small hoses...........God bless.......Dennis

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For me, after I remove the panel where the air filter USED to be, high lift airfilter installed, I use 2 small pairs of vise grips to clamp on the fuel line on both sides of the filter. These are handy for holding the fuel and air back; but also help to handle/pull on those small hoses...........God bless.......Dennis
I do the same.

Popo1945

fuel filter

Donaldkubota,
The filter I used is a Sierra 18-7844 from Teleflex Marine. Their web site is www.teleflexmarine.com. If u go to their site they have the filter kits which includes the filter & the mounting bracket. They probably list dealers in your area. The filter is a 10 micron unit & is suitable for gas or diesel. I got mine from a local marine repair shop. I installed mine on the outside of the right frame next to the air cleaner. There are 2 threaded bolt holes (from the factory) in that area &the holes in the filter mount line up perfectly (I almost couldn't believe it). I drilled 2 holes in the sheet metal guard, installed rubber grommets (to protect the fuel lines), & installed new lines. I pre-filled the filter w/ diesel. It started right away but, then died. I had to crank the starter a little longer than normal for the pump to draw the fuel through the lines. When it started it ran a little rough for a second or two but, then it ran fine. I think they recommend changing the filter every 400 hrs or once a year. You can find the recommendations somewhere on their site.

Attachments

• DSCN3082.JPG
    DSCN3082.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 509
  • DSCN3086.JPG
    DSCN3086.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 504
  • DSCN3088.JPG
    DSCN3088.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 499

mrquettfan

Can you tell me what size bolts fit the threaded bolt holes ("threaded bolt holes (from the factory) in that area &the holes in the filter mount line up perfectly").
What are the fittings that you used on the filter housing? I got two pipe thread X hose barb 90/ells but I can't thread them both on the same side of the housing like you did as there is interference between the two..... What size fuel line did you use? A complete parts list would be very helpful.....THANKS!!!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
See you have the number for the filter, do you have the number for the whole filter kit ? What price was the kit ?

........ jamie

Popo1945

I called my supplier & he gave me #18-7852 for the filter kit with a price of $37.99. I think the spin-on filter is about $10.00? For a supplier in your area go to the site I listed & select "locate a dealer" & use your zip code. The way to get the inlet & outlet on the same side you have to install the two 90's (with internal & external threads) & then use two barbed nipples for the hoses. I don't use my rtv near as much as a lot you do. So, as far as when to change the filter is up to you & the quality of the your fuel. I just changed mine & the machine kind of let me know it was time - when running down the road it would hesitate on occasion. Changing the filter cleared it up. It sure is nice not having to change that little factory filter - what a pain in $%#.

Mark.Sibole

What do you need a fuel filter for???dont you know you pay all of them fuel taxes and sur charges for all of the extra junk they give you in your fuel.Dont complain or they will raise your fuel costs again lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Mark.Sibole

Powerwagon seeing we are all family here and always help each other out maybe you should order us ALL a kit and we will cover shipping to make it easier on you lol

Popo1945

The bolts I used are some that I had laying around - I hardly ever throw anything away - which P O's my wife. She says it junk - I say I'm recycling. Anyway the bolts are 6mm x 1.25. They are 1 1/8" overall, threaded portion is 3/4" with a 12mm head. They're from an automotive application & came w/ a integral lock washer & flat washer - worked like a charm.

Popo1945

The fuel line is 5/16 & I eliminated the factory filter by using a 5/16 double barbed brass coupler from NAPA. I secured the fuel line to the frame rail at the bracket for the factory filter. I'll post a picture or two.