RTV-900 Best overall tire for snow plowing

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
doublejack - can you give us an idea of where you live? Temps and such can make a difference.

E.g. Where Kanook lives (Ontario CA), he gets a lot more snow compared to me (W. PA) but his area gets cold and stays that way. Where I am, we get a lot of freezing and heavy snow. The best tires for slush and ice compared to hard-pack snow may be different.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I am interested in comments about best traction tire for plowing snow on black top. Also, which of the Kubota tires (ATV or WS) is better for this application. Anyone with experience in this area?

No, what is snow ?:sorry:
Only thing we have on our black top is Road Kill >>> :wave:

Attachments

• raod kill.jpg
    raod kill.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 141

DwRam

Site Supporter
I clear residential driveways in the winter to fill the time (I'm retired) and also to augment my meager pension income. My RTV 900 equipped with a Blizzard plow and factory 'knobby' tires. The driveways are either paved or gravel (obout 50/50). The 900 has no difficulty with traction with these tires and I expect the work site tires would work as well in my situation. Some of the big operators and municipal users in this area that clear parking areas and commercial parking equip their tractors with turf tires for better traction on paved areas..They claim better traction than you would get from R4 or R1 as the tread patterns are similiar to truck winter snow tires. Mud type treads are not recommended for paved or hard surface snow pushing. The knobbies or work site would prove to be a poor choice for off road or mud applications....IMHO!

Hope this helps...btw ...last winter I cleared 18 driveways with the RTV and my B2650 cab model. The driveways are rural 'estate lot' from 100 to 250 feet long.

:agree:

I agree 102% with Kanook. I've only had the RTV 1100 one winter but it was a record setter for most snow fall. We had about 95". And I pushed a ton of snow with the worksite tires that came with my Kabota. I also have the Boss 6' V-Blade, which I also recommend. All of it was on pavement or hard surface. If you were to need to push snow on yards or dirt for some reason. You might need something more aggressive. But on blacktop I didn't have any problems as long as I was in 4 wheel drive. And I only had about 50 pounds of "stuff" in the bed for weight. And with the heated cab it felt like I was cheating. Especially when it dropped below zero. And I'm looking forward to another above average snowfall next year. That's how sick I am thanks to my Kabota.

Enjoy your summer.

kobe

My Grim Reapers from "Robin" at All Terrain, have far exceeded my expectations. I have about a half mile of blacktop and also do the neighbors blacktop and gravel. Kanook very likely does more plowing in a day then I do all year. I'm just saying my bare Reapers will do everything my 4x4 deisel would do chained up~~~~~KOBE

Kanook

I agree with Zoom...On the odd occasion I have encountered heavy wet snow covering unfrozen loose road surface, usually early winter or early spring and a more agressive tread would have worked well (rutted the driveway up too). In my case the road surface is frozen to a depth of 4 feet most the winter after xmas and the surface I'm pushing or blowing is being cleared by the blade/blower in front of me so I,m driving the RTV on the already cleared portion of the road. I tend to position the feet on the blade to leave about 1/4 in behind as I pass on gravel which allow the snow to build up and not plow all the stone surface until freeze up..Asphalt cleared right to the surface...some of my customers are 'pickey'

Kanook

I clear residential driveways in the winter to fill the time (I'm retired) and also to augment my meager pension income. My RTV 900 equipped with a Blizzard plow and factory 'knobby' tires. The driveways are either paved or gravel (obout 50/50). The 900 has no difficulty with traction with these tires and I expect the work site tires would work as well in my situation. Some of the big operators and municipal users in this area that clear parking areas and commercial parking equip their tractors with turf tires for better traction on paved areas..They claim better traction than you would get from R4 or R1 as the tread patterns are similiar to truck winter snow tires. Mud type treads are not recommended for paved or hard surface snow pushing. The knobbies or work site would prove to be a poor choice for off road or mud applications....IMHO!

Hope this helps...btw ...last winter I cleared 18 driveways with the RTV and my B2650 cab model. The driveways are rural 'estate lot' from 100 to 250 feet long.

CORRECTION.......The tires that I thought were "turf tires' were/are Nokian Ice and Snow radials for tractors. They supply superior traction in ice/snow/slush conditions very costly and I don't know if they come in RTV size...Sorry for the bad info.
.....................:bonk:

OrangeBuggy

........... any tire has to be better than the atv tires Kubota has put on them.

I swear, a wood rat could piss in front of them and the RTV would be one stuck machine.

......... two guns

:agree: Don't know your year or model but the tires haven't improved any for the 14 x models. My Kubota ATV Tires (and I use that term loosely) don't even have a brand or model style on em. They a totally lame. LOL..... I regret having put tire sealant in them now as I would like to replace them. :pat: Well run them till they're dead now. Shouldn't take to long if they don't hold up any better then they apply traction.

OrangeBuggy

My youngest son, purchased this a couple of months ago just to play in the mud and water .....

These tires are the ones that came with it. You talking about go....
And that is a factory, relocated radiator and air intakes on this machine ...
Goes in the mud like a mad spider !!!!
........ two guns

Nice!!!

OrangeBuggy

Yellow line/red line~~~~If I had eyes like two guns I could pop coyotes at 5000 yards~~~KOBE

Two guns just has too much time on his hands if he notices stuff like that in pictures. I when back and looked and all I could see was a dot and whatever it is that's at the top of the hill. LOL....

Mark.Sibole

Just my opinion but my grim reapers ROCK in all conditions.Going on 3 years and the treads still look like brand new and they tear through everything.Id definatly buy another set from Robin if i ever kill mine!

Mark.Sibole

I do not see why you couldn't.As long as the tires are the same size.It will be like putting snow tires on the rear of a car.You dont need to replace all 4 IMO.Just rears for traction should be just fine.Plus it will save you a ton of cash.

thanks Mark, I will see what happens the first time I plow snow. I'd like to get through this winter without buying new tires. I've only had this thing since April.

King

Thanks cornerstone the older models wear out the fronts first on my machine. Must have something to do with the new irs rear suspension.