Splicing rope

Mith

I picked up a long length of a fair sized rope, about 1.5" diameter.
I figure it'll make a decent towrope.

Needs a loop in either end of it though. I was thinking of getting some of those steel eye inserts, but I need to splice a loop into the end of the rope around the insert.

Anyone know how its done?

The guy I know who knows how to do it is off in Aus for 6 weeks (lucky bugger), so no help from him.

chowhound

Now we'll find out just what kind of boat guy Doc is (lol).
I couldn't explain how to do it, but I've had guys do it to my ropes when I had a boat years ago. It's pretty slick, just like factory.

Erik

yup - what Kenny said.
much like teaching how to tie a tie -- unless you're there to supply a set of hands to show it, there aren't enough words to describe the process.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Back a hundred years ago or so, my Boy Scout books showed how to do it. Unfortunately, they disappeared a looong time ago! I wish you luck with it.

Fred

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Now we'll find out just what kind of boat guy Doc is (lol).
I couldn't explain how to do it, but I've had guys do it to my ropes when I had a boat years ago. It's pretty slick, just like factory.
Sorry I can't help with the spicing of ropes. I've seen it done, and it works really slick. They had a tool that was used to separate strands and poke strands of the other end back through ...but I've never done it myself. I buy the looped docking ropes from overtons that are all set to go for my purposes.

Archdean

Sorry I can't help with the spicing of ropes. I've seen it done, and it works really slick. They had a tool that was used to separate strands and poke strands of the other end back through ...but I've never done it myself. I buy the looped docking ropes from overtons that are all set to go for my purposes.

A "Fid" is the term that your looking for and this shows you how
http://www.lehighgroup.com/ropespliceeye.htm

I learned as a boy and still do one once in awhile but can't begin to tell you near as well as this PDF :sorry: http://www.neropes.com/Resources/84906_NEROPE.pdf

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good find Dean. Rep points for you. :thumb: :D

Hows your garden coming along?

Mith

Cheers guys.

I gave it a go.
First off, the rope is a little odd. It has 4 stands of the 'normal stuff' with a 5th nylon strand in the middle.
I tucked the middle stand back down the inside of the length I was splicing the end to.

Anyway, it doesnt look quite right. I'll have to see how strong it is.

I'll tell you what though, thats got to be one of the most tiring things I have ever done with my fingers, I can barely type!

I'll have another go on the other end of the rops and see if I can do any better.

Cheers

Attachments

• Image201.jpg
    Image201.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 81

Archdean

I learned to splice on old style 3 strand hemp rope about an inch in dia. (we used it to lift loose hay to the mow with a grapple and pulled it up with the old H tractor, it helps to beat it into shape as your working it!

Suggest you obtain a hunk of 1/2" 3 strand nylon rope to practice on ,, much easier on your hands and takes the new shape with ease plus you can just burn (melt) the ends rather than whipping them before you start!

I picked up a long length of a fair sized rope, about 1.5" diameter.
I figure it'll make a decent towrope.

Needs a loop in either end of it though. I was thinking of getting some of those steel eye inserts, but I need to splice a loop into the end of the rope around the insert.

Anyone know how its done?

The guy I know who knows how to do it is off in Aus for 6 weeks (lucky bugger), so no help from him.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/15018_knot-tying-eye-splice.htm

Mith

Dean, I reckon I'd have made my life alot easier to start with a smaller rope. I measured it and the rope is more like 2" diameter. Each of the hemp strands is 1" dia, and the nylon middle one is about 1/2".

I think from looking at the video and articles I've identified a few places where I messed up. Most the articles relate to 3 or 12 strand rope that I have found, so its a bit harder with the 4 (5) strand I have.
Still think I'll tie the tractor to a tree with my splice attempt and see what happens. :D

Brutus

Hey, Mith! Throw an old coat or tarp over the middle of the rope before ya start yankin' on it. If the rope breaks, the weight of the coat or tarp will make it drop to the ground instead of flying through the air, right at the back of your head.

Either that, or have you wife post a copy of your obituary! :pat: