Good power tools?

I do find it interesting that my highly-respected friend Junk recommends Hilti (based on company experience) but personally owns Bosch. Since it's a well-established fact that Junk has more money than GOD, I find this curious despite the "limited use" explanation... which I'm sure is true.

Dougster

There's "good". Then there's "good enough". There's "best". and we also have "better than good enough".

In the case of Hilti, They're The best

In the case of Bosch, They're Better than good enough.

Although you somehow have this gross misconception that I'm (A) Rich, and (B) GOD or closely akin, I do alright for myself. I subscribe to the old addage that "It's not what you make, it's what you SAVE". No need to ALWAYS buy the absolute very best when BETTER THAN GOOD ENOUGH is more with-in ones price range, and is far more than capable of delivering the needed results.

Dougster

Old Member
Although you somehow have this gross misconception that I'm (A) Rich, and (B) GOD or closely akin...
Now you'd best be careful there Junk lest a certain someone up in the heavens should take offense at your latter characterization and send a bolt of lightning down through the top of your head and straight to ground. :eek: I mean... what other crotchety old man would I have to kid around with anymore??? ;)

Just because you are known to have more money than GOD doesn't mean you is He or He is you or anything even close! It just means that you are filthy stinkin' rich and that's gonna have to be enough! :)

And contrary to previous speculations on the part of my backwoods Maine friend (and scrap steel meister) the Edster... you ain't Santa Claus either! :mrgreen:

Dougster

And contrary to previous speculations on the part of my backwoods Maine friend (and scrap steel meister) the Edster... you ain't Santa Claus either! :mrgreen:

Dougster

Doug I really hate to say this :bash: :fishing: But I am in total agreement with FWJ's philosophy on this matter. I think he has hit the nail on the head.

And I am in total disagreement with your comment. If FWJ really isn't Santa, why then is there a Christmas present under my tree From Santa with a return address of Mount Washington Kentucky. :mrgreen:

Dougster

Old Member
Doug I really hate to say this :bash: :fishing: But I am in total agreement with FWJ's philosophy on this matter. I think he has hit the nail on the head.

And I am in total disagreement with your comment. If FWJ really isn't Santa, why then is there a Christmas present under my tree From Santa with a return address of Mount Washington Kentucky. :mrgreen:
If Junk really is Santa Claus, I am in BIG trouble! :whistle:

Fortunately, I think the odds of that are extremely small. ;)

Dougster

Now you'd best be careful there Junk lest a certain someone up in the heavens should take offense at your latter characterization and send a bolt of lightning down through the top of your head and straight to ground. :eek: I mean... what other crotchety old man would I have to kid around with anymore??? ;)

Just because you are known to have more money than GOD doesn't mean you is He or He is you or anything even close! It just means that you are filthy stinkin' rich and that's gonna have to be enough! :)

Dougster

First and foremost, me and THE BIG GUY UPSTAIRS are on good terms at last check. We speak often. I tell HIM how much I appreciate what HE'S done for me and mine, and HE continues to show me that HE hears what I have to say. We've got a mutual understanding.

2nd on tonights agenda, the issue you seem to have with the possibility of my being SANTA CLAUS. You're running out of time. The BIG DAYis growing close. I have that 17lb lump of coal and a bundle of switches all ready for you if that's truely the way you want it.

Now you have to excuse me, RUDOLF is wanting his dinner.

First and foremost, me and THE BIG GUY UPSTAIRS are on good terms at last check. We speak often. I tell HIM how much I appreciate what HE'S done for me and mine, and HE continues to show me that HE hears what I have to say. We've got a mutual understanding.

2nd on tonights agenda, the issue you seem to have with the possibility of my being SANTA CLAUS. You're running out of time. The BIG DAYis growing close. I have that 17lb lump of coal and a bundle of switches all ready for you if that's truely the way you want it.

NO NO NO you don't understand. I believe that Doug actually wants the lump of coal. That way he can stay warm without buying oil. Ya gotta give him something else. :badidea:

Oh buy the way Santa thank's for the present.

Dougster

Old Member
Well Junk... Looks like you've backtracked rather effectively and will likely avoid the "bolt-of-lightning-through-head" scenario! :mrgreen: Smart move!!! :thumb:

At this point, any form of heating fuel would be MOST appreciated! :wink:
Should I assume that is your doggie??? Or are you entertaining Mr. Giuliani tonight? ;)

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
NO NO NO you don't understand. I believe that Doug actually wants the lump of coal. That way he can stay warm without buying oil. Ya gotta give him something else. :badidea:

Oh buy the way Santa thank's for the present.
Dang right I want that coal!!! :thumb: I am running on fumes here!!! :eek: I expect to run dry any minute now. :rolleyes: Get ready to start sucking diesel out of the Red Beast!!! :(

And I know you're fibbing about the present 'cause you don't deserve nuttin' this year!!! :bash:

Dougster

Dang right I want that coal!!! :thumb: I am running on fumes here!!! :eek: I expect to run dry any minute now. :rolleyes: Get ready to start sucking diesel out of the Red Beast!!! :(

And I know you're fibbing about the present 'cause you don't deserve nuttin' this year!!! :bash:

Dougster

Don't suck too hard you'll get brain freeze. Oh wait we went over this the other night after the CAT scan, there is nothing there. So suck away..:bangin:

Contrary to popular belief I have been a good boy this year. :mrgreen:

Should I assume that is your doggie??? Or are you entertaining Mr. Giuliani tonight? ;)

Dougster

Dawgs be Nikki and Baby. (Nikki in picture. 15 lbs of dynamite in the form of a Papillon who rules local agility trials)

Been out in the shop changing fuel filters this evening, so this Rudolf is R. Diesel.

Attachments

• Nikki2.jpg
    Nikki2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 8

Dougster

Old Member
Don't suck too hard you'll get brain freeze. Oh wait we went over this the other night after the CAT scan, there is nothing there. So suck away..:bangin:

Contrary to popular belief I have been a good boy this year. :mrgreen:
Now you are just being cruel! :eek: Maybe that cat scan machine was broken. :thumb: That's possible ya know!!! :respect:

Dougster

ghautz

My Milwaukee drill just has a "clunky" feel. The bearings seem to have more slop--there is noticeable play at the end of a long bit. The quality of the cord is not equal to the Hitachi or Bosch. Those two were more expensive than the Milwaukee, tho. Comparing the Bosch and the Milwaukee is similar to comparing a Mercedes and a VW, in my opinion.

There are selectors for impact or normal drilling on the Hitachi and Bosch, and I am sure the rest are the same.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Nikki in picture. 15 lbs of dynamite in the form of a Papillon who rules local agility trials

I posted a picture of our Cara the other day in Doc's thread drift thread. She is Ging's Charisma MX, MXJ. She was well on her way for her first MACH but she came down with Lyme's and is now too stiff to compete.

Here's a pic of her at her first trial. She is just over 15 inches so she was competing with the shelties instead of cockers.

Jim

Attachments

• cara.jpg
    cara.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 70
I posted a picture of our Cara the other day in Doc's thread drift thread. She is Ging's Charisma MX, MXJ. She was well on her way for her first MACH but she came down with Lyme's and is now too stiff to compete.

Here's a pic of her at her first trial. She is just over 15 inches so she was competing with the shelties instead of cockers.

Jim

Good lookin' dog there Jim!

We picked up a rescue dog about 7 years ago that is half Springer Spanial and half Papillon. She is one powerful little dog. Baby (my wife named this one) got us interested in Papillons. My wife HAD to have one. So, 2 years this Feb 16th, we answered an add for Papillon pups. They had one left. We went to see "Lady Catherine Nicole" (Nikki to us) As soon as we walked in the house, this little 4 lb ball of fur walked over to me and tried to climb into my lap. I picked her up and put her inside my sweatshirt to keep her warm. The dog apparently fell in love. She's jeleous of my wife when I pay attention to Liegh. Nikki sits on my shoulder while I read the newspaper. She cries like a little baby when I leave for work in the morning. And I've never seen a dog so easy to train. She'll do ANYTHING to please me. All I have to do is tell her what I want her to do, and it's done. (WOW, I wish I'd had that sort of luck with WOMEN:mrgreen: ) Our kids refer to Nikki as "Daddy's girl". It probably is funny to see big ol' me with this little tiny dog sitting on my shoulder. She sure has won my heart though. :respect:

Mith

Shinn, the plugs on the 110V stuff are big and yellow and are near on indestructible. You can get the same type of plug for 240V stuff and it comes in blue, 415V is red. One day I'll get round to changing all my tools from the standard 240V plugs to the indestructible blue ones.
p45087_l.jpg

I was actually hoping to get a drill with no hammer function atall, for the reasons you said. Weight and size.
Cheers

Q, as I said above, I'd rather get one without hammer, so far I've not found one though.
Maybe I'll have to go hit B&Q after the sales. For £30 (probably less in the sales) I can live with a hammer drill until I find the perfect one.
Thanks for the heads up.

mobilus

Something I didn't see in the previous posts is any reference to cordless impact drivers. So let me chime in. I have had one (Dewalt) since they were introduced and it stands head and shoulders above their cordless drills. Tough piece of equipment; I've dropped it from ladders too many times, ran over it with the tractor once, etc, and it still kicks butt.

Attachments

• DC845KA_1.gif
    DC845KA_1.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 41
There's "good". Then there's "good enough". There's "best". and we also have "better than good enough".

In the case of Hilti, They're The best

In the case of Bosch, They're Better than good enough.

Although you somehow have this gross misconception that I'm (A) Rich, and (B) GOD or closely akin, I do alright for myself. I subscribe to the old addage that "It's not what you make, it's what you SAVE". No need to ALWAYS buy the absolute very best when BETTER THAN GOOD ENOUGH is more with-in ones price range, and is far more than capable of delivering the needed results.

BEST is the enemy of GOOD...:rolleyes:

GinNB

Anybody have any experience with minigrinders? I've been going through them like crazy lately. Various noname junk I won't mention, but I've been tempted by the 8A Canadian Tire 4.5" ones because the first one I had lasted quite a while, but the last three don't seem made to the same standards. The bearings get loose quickly and feel like they're self destructing. One has died and the two I've got left (one has hardly any use) feel like they're on their last legs. I get 'em because they're powerful and go on sale every now and then for $20, but I hate replacing tools. The 5" one I got died almost instantly from switch failure.

I've got a less powerful Bosch that seems to be lasting well, but the threads where the handle screws in has given up the ghost and will barely hold the handle- not terribly safe. Why the head isn't made of metal I don't know but I'm not inclined to get another because of that.

Anybody have lots of experience with Makita, DeWalt, Hitachi, or Milwaukee 4.5" and 5" angle grinders? Which ones hold up the best when pressed hard? Anything else I should be looking for that'll stand some hard use?

Mith

Gin,
I hear that Metabo and Makita are right up there, I know of people who use both brands daily for their work, and they both like the brands (and most importantly they still work.
My Metabo 4.5" is holding up excellently, and I've ruined alot of other brands. It wasnt cheap though, about $120.
Metabo appear to be offering a 3 year warranty if you register online.