U joints for drive shafts and rear axels

Mark.Sibole

I havnt seen much posted on this so I figured Id post from my expierance
The drive shaft u joints that you cant purchase from Kubota can be replaced with the precision 392 u joints.
The only thing you will need to do is use a honing stone to open up the opening 1000 of an inch and then the fit fine.
On the rear axels the precision 397 u joints fit just fine.
This is for you do it your selfers that dont want to but a new drive shaft or pay the cost for the axel joints
I hoe this info is useful.

Regards

Mark

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good post Mark. I added a tag (ujoints) so it could be found later on. Thanks, Bordercollie

Art454

I havnt seen much posted on this so I figured Id post from my expierance
The drive shaft u joints that you cant purchase from Kubota can be replaced with the precision 392 u joints.
The only thing you will need to do is use a honing stone to open up the opening 1000 of an inch and then the fit fine.
On the rear axels the precision 397 u joints fit just fine.
This is for you do it your selfers that dont want to but a new drive shaft or pay the cost for the axel joints
I hoe this info is useful.

Regards

Mark

Were did u buy these 392 and 397 joints.

Art

Art454

Ty 4 the info were to get them.....so just auto parts give them the # 392 and 397....no need for a application?

Art

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ordering the 392's

I'm planning on ordering 2 of the 392 drive shaft u joints Monday from the auto parts place and replacing the ones on the used drive shaft I kept. I took it off last time around and replaced it with a $100 new one from kubota.This will be the fourth time around for getting the shaft (ha ha)!!! Maybe this one will last longer with the grease fittings- and saving that money really will help!! Hats off again to you Mark.Sibole. bordercollie

Mark.Sibole

No Problems
The uppers are nice to have the grease fittings on but the bottoms Im not sure the fittings will be reachable but ill know more if and when I have to replace the bottoms.
Let me know how it turns out for ya

Regards

Mark

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I got the 392's for the drive shaft and they are a hair long. The caps will just not squeeze up to clip without binding on the ears of the joints. The openings in the yoke is ok. The seals are larger on the caps than the oem and I like the way they look . I may make a trip to the parts store and see if they can find a joint a hair shorten in length. I haven't messed with the rear axle joints yet. Thanks, bordercollie

Art454

Can you take the cap off and grind just a hair off the ends of the u joint on both ends then see if its tight?
Worth a try as I do not think r gona find a hair shorter.
Are you sure u did not bend the yokes a little...which would make them tight also.
I have bent a few yokes back in shape with a torch that people used a press to get the old u joint off.

Art

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Can you take the cap off and grind just a hair off the ends of the u joint on both ends then see if its tight?
Worth a try as I do not think r gona find a hair shorter.
Are you sure u did not bend the yokes a little...which would make them tight also.
I have bent a few yokes back in shape with a torch that people used a press to get the old u joint off.

Art

Thanks Art. I did check the yokes and they are square. The main reason I said the size was off was because I took the caps off and laid the crosses on top of one another and each ear was a tad longer on the new one. During installation, It started binding after I almost got it there and just couldn't get the last clip on. (All pins were still lined up when I removed it.). The grinding off sounds like it might work- I was just concerned about maybe the balance- Maybe I could use the belt sander and take my time on that hard metal?? . I have an old drive shaft from the last change that I am working with so the RTV is not disabled. Since the 392 's were working for others and the crosses of the ujoint are slightly different, I wondered if I had a fluke or something.. Thank you for the information and any other thoughts appreciated. . bordercollie

markc

No Problems
The uppers are nice to have the grease fittings on but the bottoms Im not sure the fittings will be reachable but ill know more if and when I have to replace the bottoms.
Let me know how it turns out for ya

Regards

Mark

i replaced the straight zerk fitting with 90 degree ones on the inside and can grease them fine