New Baby

N

Nicahawk

Here's the newest member of our miniature donkeys, Eartha, (born on Earth Day).

Attachments

• Eartha (600 x 399).jpg
    Eartha (600 x 399).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 192

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As my wife would say, Ahhhh that's cute!!!!!!

How many miniatures do you keep Nica?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
As my wife would say, Ahhhh that's cute!!!!!!

I'm not showing the picture to my wife.

If she saw it we would soon have miniature donkeys in addition to the horses and dogs :hide:

N

Nicahawk

There is nothing cuter than a baby miniature donkey. At 16 to 20 # at birth, they are really small. I picked this little gal up and carried her from the pasture up to the donkey shed. Of course momma was right behind me. They are very social, love attention, follow you around like puppies, and love little kids. Their tough, require little maintenance, and if it wasn't for the road out front, could run loose. We normally tether the mommas and let the little guys run loose until they start roaming too far from mom. This little gal makes the count seven.

Let's see.....that's 7 miniatures, one more due in two wks or less, six rescued standards, plus four more this coming weekend, and two mules to ride. Six dogs, four cats, and I"ve lost count of the chickens. Do we qualify as a zoo or what.
I added a pic of my wife Judy, holding the new babe.
Nica

Attachments

• Judy and Eartha(600 x 399).jpg
    Judy and Eartha(600 x 399).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 188

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
They sound interesting but like Jim, I'm afraid to show my wife, she would want one for sure.

Do you raise them to sell the Nica?

N

Nicahawk

They sound interesting but like Jim, I'm afraid to show my wife, she would want one for sure.

Do you raise them to sell the Nica?

Well, yes and no.

It all started right after we bought this property three years ago. Friends had a standard, broke to ride for a small person, that they could no longer keep. We both love animals, heck, how much trouble can one standard donkey be. Well she captured our hearts with her antics, intelligence, and affection to us. We bought a companion for her. Then we bought a little miniature from an add in the paper. We had the sheds, plenty of pasture, and the standards to protect the mini's. Since we were just getting settled in we decided we needed a good ? tax write off. So, started Prairie Partners Miniature Donkeys, LLC. WE bought registered breeding jacks, and some good jens. Problem is, you get so attached to them as pets, you don't want to part with them. I'm not sure what direction were going from now on. State says we have to make a profit in our third year or it's considered a hobby. I'm pretty sure it's now a pretty big hobby! The standards are mostly rescue animals, from across the state, (word gets out), and we bought the mules to ride.
Nica

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a neighbor who has miniature horses and maybe goats but I had never seen mini donkeys there. They are the cutest mini's I've seen so far. I can see why you get so attached to them. :thumb:

Nick

Nica,
They ARE cute indeed. Not sure I've ever seen a mini donkey before. So if they're 16-20 lbs when born, about how much do they weigh when full grown? How tall are they full grown? What is typical lifespan for donkeys? (minis and standards).

Nick