Next Generation RTV - What would your like to see?

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
A front locking differential, the option for larger and more aggressive factory tires, LED lighting and a factory rear bumper option would all be on my list.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have to agree with those who want a little more speed to go from one site to another. I live on a state route and have a 3 mile trip between places. 25 is to slow, and actually dangerous. it's 55mph road. 40 or 45 would be respectable. Maybe the current RTV configuration is not safe at that speed, but I'm sure Kubota can engineer one that can do the job and get from one place to another at a decent clip.

10-e-c-dirt

I have a X900, The changes I would like are,
A, A better Parking Brake lever, position, leverage, bigger brighter warning light etc..
B, just a wee bit more power, the top speeds is fine..
C, a larger capacity, and a better location for the fuel filter, a spin on fuel filter would be great,,,,
D, I have Kubota's component cab, VC5011,VC5023,VC5095,VC5040.
It needs Better Sealing around the top, around the doors, and especially between the under hood compartment and the passenger cabin..(I plugged that up fiberglass batt insulation)
E, Did I say more power, man its Sloooow going up some of these hills checking the cattle & fences etc..

RancherGuy

I have a Gen 1 RTV 900 with 1400 hours and Gen 2 X1120 with 800 hours. Here's my 2 cents:

1. I love my X1120. In comparison my 900 is clunky. Transmission change is wonderful! Suspension change is SO much better! The extra power with X1120 is great. Front driveline is stronger and better and does not rattle!
2. The machine speed could be a bit faster. Gen1 had 3 forward gears, whereas Gen2 has 2. Maybe add a third for road travel? No, it's really not top heavy.
3. I hate it when the transmission shift Fwd/Rev sticks when on a slope. Nightmare if the engine dies or is turned off while on a slope - cannot get it out of gear to restart.
4. Floor Fwd/Rev pedal thoughts: I say no. Too much floor space, too difficult to position feet. A much better solution would be a "left-hand reverser" like true tractors have.
5. Make the fuel filter easy to access, spin-on, with a cut-off valve, with water separator drain.
6. Increase under-seat space efficiency (thus size).
7. Glove box lock twists the wrong way. Locking should twist clockwise.
8. Larger glove box (door size is OK) would be nice. There is space around it, so just enlarge the plastic box.
9. Locking front differential would be nice.
10. 1, 2, or 3 auxiliary circuit breaker box outputs where one could add fuses and easily connect electrical components. Running wires to the battery and adding in-line fuses is unsatisfactory.
11. Lighting is poor. I have had to add my own 24" LED to the front rollbar and 3 LEDs to get lighting to the back and sides when I have to work in the dark. "Plug and Play" wiring where I could add my choice of LEDs, using existing wires in those locations would be fantastic. Thankfully, there were two light switch "blanks" next to the OEM light switch where I was able to install the switches.

ItBmine

I've went and tried an RTV1100X cab on a few occasions but have so far kept backing out on a deal for just the reason you say Symphony.....I would have to make a compromise over what I already have.

I think the RTV is almost perfect but one thing I would need to make me commit is a 30 to 35 MPH top speed. Put a 3 range trans back in it and give us a bit more speed.

I would also like more sound deadening in the cab. I was shocked at how loud they are inside when I tried them at my dealer.

If I could get that top speed increase I would be able to replace all my atv's with an RTV and be happy.

Lee1935

I’ve been shopping for a UTV for a few years now and have gotten close to pulling the trigger on one but can’t help feeling that I would be compromising on my needs and requirements if I purchased one of the current utility vehicle offerings. I think the Kubota RTV is the closest to meeting my needs but there are just a few things that need to be addressed before I would ultimately purchase one. This brings up the question, what would you like to see Kubota offer in their next generation RTV? I’ll give you my thoughts:

The RTV, bar none, has the best cab and is the best built UTV on the market. Everything screams quality and ruggedness from the heavy duty frame, suspension components and drivetrain. This thing is built like a tank! I’ve compared the RTV to other offerings (Honda, Kawasaki, JD, Can-Am, Polaris) and although some of them are stepping up their game in terms of capabilities, none can match the RTV. One of the most important requirements for me is a solid, well-sealed 4 season cab with heat and AC. The competition all have poor cab designs with cheap plastic doors that won’t hold up to heavy duty use. The air infiltration is abysmal and there are huge gaps in the fitment of the cab components. Their cabs, all of them, are truly an afterthought.

Where is the RTV lacking for me? One of the best features of the RTV, the hydrostatic transmission, is also its greatest downfall in terms of speed. The current 25 mph top speed for the cabbed version is simply not acceptable for ME. I’m not intending to use it as a trail blazer (my ATV works just fine for that) but when I’m getting to and from my destinations, the RTV could use more top speed particularly for those times where I’m on paved or gravel roads. The lack of a higher top speed can really hamper productivity.

What would I like to see in the next generation RTV?

- turbo option to increase power and torque of the diesel engine (Tier 4 emissions issues but they already do it with their tractors)
- AT style torque converter transmission, 2-speed transfer case, which will allow increase top speed to 40-45 mph
- Add locking front differential

That’s it and all that would make it a perfect work machine for me!

Curious to see if you have any other wants? Perhaps Kubota is listening?

Since you aren't in a big rush, you might take a look at the new Bobcat ATV. as for those that 25 mph is good enough for work vehicle I say bull-pucky.

If it would do a honest 25 with a heavy load or up a steep hill that would
great! If a owners were ruthlessly honest they would admit the Kubta hydrostatic transmission is a rube goldberg contraption. I've drove equipment since the 50's that had good hydro trannies that didn't need babying.

900XT

Engine out front, permanent drive to the front axle, transmission behind axle, 4wd to activate rear wheels when there's a heavy load.
My Antonio Carraro tractor has that and when loaded it's really well balanced and all the wheels are carrying load.

Lee1935

I'm in steep timber almost every time I crank my RTV. When I first got it I thought it was top heavy. But soon realized it just felt that way because it has NO flex. Any off camber situation has a tire in the air.

I added an inch of suspension lift and 27" tires which logistically made the top heavy feeling worse. Added 1.75" of spacers to the front. 1.25" spacers to the rear. Those helped.

Now that I'm used to the machine I don't think of it as top heavy at all.

I'm talking no load in the bed.

I love the RTV steering off road. I pay a LOT of money on my offroad buggies to get that type of steering. Fully hydraulic.

If you have a tractor with the same type of steering that has a fast road speed you already know that it wanders. Constantly having to correct. My M9540 Kubota runs 24mph. That's fast enough.

If the RTV were made to go faster the steering orbiter would have to be changed for one designed to make more subtle steering corrections.

I'd still like to see 10mph added to the top speed of the RTV. :)

Going from aggressive tires to ones that don't tear up a yard will make you think you're driving a pickup truck. If you want more speed taller tires are not the way to go, that little engine does not have the power to pull a higher gear ratio☺☺

As for shifting, Kiobota is the only one in the world that that can't get it right .