Homemade towing hitch

quincy

Wow can't believe your weld on homemade hitch held that trailer.

Did you have trouble pull that trailer though mud or soft ground or hill?

? Not only did it "hold" but it did an awsome job. The tractor had NO problems pulling it at all, not a hint! Way Cool!!! There is a bit of an uphill gradiant but not much. No mud but yes soft ground that my car tears up all the time. Even with turf tyres it didnt faulter. 4x4 on, low ratio second gear, no slip, no sweat. I can imagine ag tyres would be WAAY better for grip but I didnt need it for that pull.
heres my utility trailer with 1.5t sand n a few tools. Now THIS impressed me... towing this lot on pea gravel on a 1 in 10 gradient. My front wheel drive car struggles big time on this stuff.
CIMG0026Small.jpg

CIMG0025Small.jpg

Negative tongue weight is my only problem at the moment. My handy little garden utility trailer is a tipping trailer but when I made it, I put its CofG at the axle so it would tip easy.... Gotta change that, kids cant go for rides in the trailer until i fix it.

quincy

Looks like that Kub isnt the biggest thing about?! :D

...lol, Yes inspector ....
detective.gif

There be a JCB prowling in my lawn! Doing some drainage ammendments at the moment. My wifes uncle owns a JCB and he's doing some trenching for me. Sick to see my nice lawn all torn up but it'll come back again, there'll be a bit of levelling to do afterwards. Wish I had a box blade...

Q

shinnlinger

That is a good fabrication job...I usually just let mine rust, but yours would look nice in orange.

I have become fond of welding a 2inch reciever tube on the 3pt implements that live on my tractor the most (flail mower, rear blade, skider counter weight) that way I can throw in my ball whenever I need to drag a trailer around w/out removing/changing implements.

As far as weight goes be careful. You can pick up and pull very heavy trailers and the like on the flat that will easily overwhelm your brakes when you go down a hill. This summer I was hauling a 16 foot flatbed trailer overloaded with logs down the road and was going too fast as I went down a grade and damn near blew my engine as the load pushed from behind. I had no choice but to clutch and freewheel for a bit and then the ride really began! Trust me. It is not cool to push 30 MPH with 10,000 lbs behind you in your tractor!

Shinnlinger

quincy

That is a good fabrication job...I usually just let mine rust, but yours would look nice in orange.

I have become fond of welding a 2inch reciever tube on the 3pt implements that live on my tractor the most (flail mower, rear blade, skider counter weight) that way I can throw in my ball whenever I need to drag a trailer around w/out removing/changing implements.

As far as weight goes be careful. You can pick up and pull very heavy trailers and the like on the flat that will easily overwhelm your brakes when you go down a hill. This summer I was hauling a 16 foot flatbed trailer overloaded with logs down the road and was going too fast as I went down a grade and damn near blew my engine as the load pushed from behind. I had no choice but to clutch and freewheel for a bit and then the ride really began! Trust me. It is not cool to push 30 MPH with 10,000 lbs behind you in your tractor!

Shinnlinger

You are so right! I would hate to experience your "ride" Shinnlinger... Even though my trailers have brakes, there is always the fear of runaway in the back of my mind. I experienced a jacknife many years ago and I still re live it every time I am on a down hill slope with a load on the back.
I WOULD NOT consider using this tractor to go down hill with a load, You're absolutely right. What I find cool is its ability to pull loads... Brakes are another thing...!!!

lb59

You are so right! I would hate to experience your "ride" Brakes are another thing...!!!

Even if brakes lock all 4 wheels tight traction can become a faction.
I had a trailer push a tractor down my concrete driveway.
The brakes had the back wheels locked tight but the
tires were squealing all the way to the bottom.
Scary ride indeed.

Grrrr

Whenever you have a big load behind you going down any sort of hill it is best to put the tractor in a lower gear and throttle the engine up.

This way, the engine shouldn't be able to be overspeeded so much.

Trailer brakes help as well.

The same thing can happen when rolling because you are normally using a high gear and low revs and the roller can easily overcome the tractor. Just rev it up more.

I learn't this from towing heavy silage trailers and was told by a very experienced operator. He said it is noisier and uses more fuel etc but will make the ride a lot safer. (It also keeps the air brakes well topped up. Dunno if CUT's have them though ;))

Milwaukee

Maybe try install brake system on tractor so you hook to trailer but have brake system hook to trailer so when go on hill down then increase brake so it be safe but I have no idea how to set but we don't need now.

Anyone did that idea to their tractor so trailer's brake work.

Grrrr

Bigger ag tractors have trailer braking.

Normally done by either air or hydraulics. Simplest ones just have a cylinder on the brake drum on the trailer that is connected up to a spool valve on the tractor.

More complex ones use air and are interlinked with the foot brake with controllable parameters :D

I always like to put trailer brakes on first as then the chance of a jack knife is reduced.

Milwaukee

But most I see is electric brake on trailer but never see air cylinder on it until it for big trailer for tractor truck.