Backhoe - digs!

Mith

Finally got enough done so that it almost looks like a backhoe. Still got a heck of a long way to go though!
Attached is a spec sheet, in mm ofcourse. Dig depth at 5'11", loading height 6'2".
I'm fairly sure the hoe is way too big for the machine. Nice excuse to get a bigger tractor :D
Also got a picture of some of the parts done so far. Alot of the parts for the swing joint are done too, and the stabilisers, just not welded together. Waiting for the hydraulics to turn up really....

Attachments

• specs.JPG
    specs.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 355
  • 06-10-07_1850.jpg
    06-10-07_1850.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 351

quincy

Gees....... somebody's been busy in the workshop then..!!! Looks good. Is that 4"x4" Heavy gauge?

What is your plan for the stabilisers Mith? You gonna do hinged outriggers or the typical "jcb" style verical posts?

Mith

The box is 80x80. I'm going to add some flat bar to strengthen it a bit more too, particularly on the dipper.

Going for the JCB style stabilisers, so I can work up next to buildings.

Thanks. Spending a bit more quality time in the workshop today, working on the fenders and seat mount.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You have been busy Mith. Looking Good. Just what everyone needs ...and excuse to get a bigger tractor. :D I like the way your thinking. :D

B

bczoom

Looking good Jim,

Out of curiosity, instead of mounting to the tractor, have you considered building it as a tow-behind unit?
Something like this?

Mith

BC, very briefly, but I cant really see any advantage to having it towed?

Thanks for the comments

B

bczoom

BC, very briefly, but I cant really see any advantage to having it towed?
The reasoning I came up with this as an option is:
1. Being a standalone unit, there's nothing to decouple from your tractor when you don't need it. You can then also have the backhoe doing the digging and the tractor to the side to move dirt as needed with the FEL.
2. The engine and hydraulic requirements can be built/established as needed without concern for what's available on the tractor.
3. Weight. I don't know how much this will weigh but is the tractor up for it? Will it be required to keep the FEL on for a counterweight?
4. Also related to weight but is weight/size an issue? Can you haul the tractor (with FEL) and BH at the same time to a job site? (I don't recall seeing pictures of your trailer or tow rig)

Brian

Mith

I've really been looking at different aspects. Cost, by using the engine and hydraulics on the tractor I can save about £1k (engines are expensive). I can fit the tractor is smaller places than I could a tow behind. On the weight, with the hoe attached to the tractor there probably wont be enough weight to dig that well, those tow behinds look even lighter....
I dont have any means of moving anything at the moment, but thats nothing a phonecall and a crate of beer wont fix, I know someone with a plant trailer.
i guess my main incentive for keeping it on the tractor is the cost, both to buy the parts, and for maintenance.

B

bczoom

OK.

I was under the impression you have a bunch of engines and such from other tractors available...

Mith

Only small 12HP alu block engines left. I'm not sure they have the torque for hydraulics.

Mith

Boxed in the fenders, and cut out some of the beam to fit the stabilisers in. I've started working on attaching the hoe to the tractor.

Attachments

• 09-10-07_1734.jpg
    09-10-07_1734.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 325

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mith, looking good. The frame appears rather close to the top of your rear wheels. When you have all the BH stuff on there will you have enough clearance for the wheels?

Mith

Dan, I'd like to keep the loader and backhoe all on this machine, but I've got the other WheelHorse for towing and such.

Doc, theres about 1" between the wheels and the fenders, and 2" between the wheels and the stabilizers. Hopefully that should be OK. I'm a little concerned that it might get jammed up with mud....

Cheers

quincy

You da expert when it comes to mud mith...lol

Its almost a shame to cover up those luverly rear ag tyres!!

Mith

:yum: Expert on mud? Only when it comes to getting stuck in it :D

With the amount them tyres cost, its a shame to use them!

Just a quick pic of the 'drill' for making holes in some of the parts.

Mith

Got the swing joint mostly done, and the boom and the dipper are drilled.
I was worried the joint would bind up, but it moves very freely.

Attachments

• 11-10-07_1838.jpg
    11-10-07_1838.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 296

quincy

Its coming together nicely Mith, nice work. What is the vertical pin pivoting on? Are you using bushings or bearings? Theres going to be a lot of pressure and weight on that joint when the jib and bucket are attached... that bit right there is gonna be a key component.... I'm enjoying the progression of this... thanks for posting.

PS I like yer "drill"...

q

Mith

There will be another plate on the top of that that hold the pin to stop it turning as the hoe arm swings. There are bushings in the swing bracket, one of these is on top of the beam in the top right of the picture.
I'll keep posting pics if there is interest.

:D