undecided

D

Deerlope

This is my first post on this site. I need some advice and have ?'s. I presently have an 03 L 3830 w/FEL. I need more HP and want to stay cat 1 and GST tranny. I have compared the newer L 5040 against the older L5030 and I am leaning toward the 5030 if one can be found, but I could go with the 5040 and with a little tweaking of the turbo and can get about 60 HP. Still arguing with myself and I am not sure who is going to win.

D

Deerlope

Larry; I have and I would buy it in a minute if it had a GST tranny.

larryRB

Whay are you so against HST? Now they have HST plus, which is even better, I have a very heavy, 8200 lbs, L 48 TLB, dig, moved dirt, hog mow, rake,, it does any job so far that GST does..

Mith

First off, welcome to NTT.

Are you set on Kubota, or are there other brands locally?
John Deere offer several higher HP tractors with gear trannys.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome Deerlope. I'm glad you decided to join and post here. THANKS! :a1: :thumb: :tiphat:

I'm curious why you prefer GST tranny over everything else?

D

Deerlope

I prefer the GST only because I am old school so to say. I been using a clutch since I was knee high to a grass hopper. I like GSTalso because I can use lower RPMs and increase them as needed. Yep I am set on Kubota, I have looked many times at JD the only dealer around here with in 100 miles treats me like I got the plague. I only go to JD when I need parts for the mower. I read a book about diesels some time ago and the author said that a diesel is not a diesel until it has a turbo on it. Soooooooooo looks like its going to be an L 5040. Tranny debate it still up in the air.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I always enjoyed driving a standard shift car, truck and tractor. But HST was so easy to get used to that I wouldn't have it any other way now. Easier on my knee & hip to.
I've never driven one with GST though.

larryRB

They have the new HST plus, which gives many options and is quite similar to GST. I too, had all standard transmissions in everything I owned, The L 48 has HST but not the plus one as this is new, my pick up has a 6spd automatic, first one I've owned. I have to admit the pick up with new trans does better than the 6sp standard it replaces.,. Don't know how old you are Deerelope, I'm, bumping at 60 and was set in my ways too.. Change isn't always bad.

lb59

I always enjoyed driving a standard shift car, truck and tractor. But HST was so easy to get used to that I wouldn't have it any other way now. Easier on my knee & hip to.I've never driven one with GST though.
Shifting gears is a kliller on bum knees legs and backs.Don't matter if it's a car truck or tractor.

That's why all 4 of my import pick ups and my last 3 tractors are automatic.