My motorcycle project

DK35vince

Wanted to check in and show how my street bike project is coming along.
I purchased this 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600R, completely stripped and in boxes for $150.

Attachments

• HPIM0393.JPG
    HPIM0393.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 133

DK35vince

Motor needed some work.
Added new pistons and rings, valve springs, lapped the valves, new clutch discs, new starter clutch, new Vance/Hines camshafts.
Added a stage 3 jet kit to the carborators

Attachments

• HPIM0400.JPG
    HPIM0400.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 128
  • HPIM0471.JPG
    HPIM0471.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 128

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, what a project. I bet you don't miss an episode of American Chopper and Orange County Chopper! That will be a screaming machine when you get her going.

DK35vince

Almost finished. Got the brakes all working and bleed. All new brake pads.
Started the motor today for the first time. Sounds real good. Oil pressure and everything else is looking good.
Still need to install the upper and lower fairings.
Finished project should be around the $1000 area. But it looks like I will end up with a decent machine for the money, and I learned a lot about how these motors work on the project. It was fun!!!

Attachments

• HPIM0493.JPG
    HPIM0493.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 126
  • HPIM0496.JPG
    HPIM0496.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 128

DK35vince

That will be a screaming machine when you get her going.
I must have still been writing when you posted Doc.
The bike is running now. Sounds good too.
Has Vance/Hines pipes, Vance/Hines Cams, K&N filters and a stage 3 jet Kit

shinnlinger

Dk,

SHe is looking about road worthy....is that a leaky gas can NEXT to your tombstone welder (is that why they call themb tombstones??

It seems like your bike project is a little more practical than mine. 10 years ago I bouhgt a beat up old Kawi Police bike for $500 and rode around for a year or so in that condition(down to san deigo even). Then the timing chain started slapping, so what to do? Push the bike over the bank and say that was a good $500 investment for a year of riding?....Go to auction a pick up another in better shape for $1000 ????.....Nah

Pull apart my old motor and go to town, which I did 3 times. Now it has a weisco high domes big bore kit, a machined head and a balanced crank....

oh and new "cop" paint and silly stuff like that. I think I put $4500 in a bike worth about $1500. Oh well....I still have it though but I dont ride it like I did when I lived in Oregon (something about ICE on the roads here) oh and having kids....and building a house.....

Oh yeah, and running my tractor!

DK35vince

Dk,
is that a leaky gas can NEXT to your tombstone welder (is that why they call themb tombstones??
Its only water on the floor near the gas can. I had the gas can setting outside in the snow and the snow melted off.
Can't afford to have a leaky fuel can at $3.20/gallon
If you have any pictures of your bike I would like to see them..

Last edited:

xPosTech

oh and new "cop" paint and silly stuff like that. I think I put $4500 in a bike worth about $1500. Oh well....I still have it though but I dont ride it like I did when I lived in Oregon (something about ICE on the roads here) oh and having kids....and building a house.....

Shinnlinger I was riding a Honda 350 when I lived in Portland back in 1970. They had just started grooving the highways about then. Kind of a 'shimmy shimmy bang bang' :eek: feeling until I started remembering to prepare for it.

I bought the Honda for $200. It leaked oil from a big vertical crack in the crankcase which I promptly sealed with JB Weld. It never leaked in the two years I had it.:cool:

Hmmm...I had memory problems even back then? :shock:

Ted

DK35vince

Put on a new windshield, painted the front fender,the lower fairing and much of the upper fairing.
The bike is fully assembled.

Attachments

• HPIM0499.JPG
    HPIM0499.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 115
  • HPIM0500.JPG
    HPIM0500.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 118

mobilus

Great job! Especially when I look at your cost versus the fact that mine still has a couple of years of payments.

N

Nicahawk

Put on a new windshield, painted the front fender,the lower fairing and much of the upper fairing.
The bike is fully assembled.

Ride on down here to KS and I'll help you change the oil while we have a couple beverages!:beer:. :cool:

Good job!
icon14.gif

DK35vince

Have you had it out for a road test yet Vince?

I sure have!! I put on around 600 miles since putting it together.
I had a few bugs to work out once I started useing it (expected).
I think I have the bugs worked out and the bike is working/running real nice.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, bugs would be expected.
Good to hear you got them worked out.
Heres to a fun summer of riding.
Cheers! :beer:

DK35vince

Due to the cost of gas my project motorcycle has now become my primary transportation. I only run my truck if I need to haul something or if its raining.
I use the bike for everything else. Currently using it to get to and from work every day.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Heck yeah, I can't blame ya. And another benefit: the wife won't be asking you to stop for groceries. :yum: