Transmission sump screen

mikesells4u

I just replaced the load shaft o-rings and seals in my 2040 due to leaking oil. While I had the fluid out I checked the transmission sump screen and was not happy to find it clogged almost completely with junk. I would like to run the tractor for a couple hours and check the screen again to see if it picks up any more junk. My question is, do I need to drain that section of the transmission to check the sump screen? And if I do need to drain that side how much do I drain it? Completely?

jd110

All of the transmission fluid needs to be drained. What kind of material was in the screen? Brake material can clog the screen when brake lining fails. Brakes can still appear to work fine. Was there any metal?

mikesells4u

Some of what was in there actually looked like small gravel, and I saw a couple flakes of green paint. Aside from that and what looked like bits and pieces of grass some of it could have been brake material. I did not see any metal.
Just to be clear, when you say I will need to drain all the transmission fluid are you refering to only the front drain plug or do I need to drain both drain plugs?

mikesells4u

The sump screen is very close to the front plug. Are you sure I would only drain the rear? It would seem that one would need to drain the front half.

jd110

Rear plug will do it. There is only about a gallon of oil left in front half when you drain the rear. There is a ledge in the housing between the screen and front plug.

mikesells4u

Great, I appreciate all the help from both of you. It will be either one or two weeks before I drain it and check the screen again as I need to put in a little time to disc up about a 1/2 acre and seeding for my feed plot. I will post again to let you know how much more, if any, junk I find.